Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2011-02-02, 09:28 PM
Regular User

Default Any Future Wimbledon III owners or Royal Ridge occupants?

Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone on here has purchased a Wimbledon III model by Claridge or has purchased a home in the Royal Ridge development in Orleans?

Hoping to meet some new neighbours and share experiences!
Old 2011-02-23, 09:27 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensfan View Post
Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone on here has purchased a Wimbledon III model by Claridge or has purchased a home in the Royal Ridge development in Orleans?

Hoping to meet some new neighbours and share experiences!
Hi,

I just purchased a Stirling III model on Royal Ridge. I'm in block #10. I can't wait to move in!

George
Old 2011-02-23, 10:02 AM
Regular User

Welcome George!

I’m sure glad to find another Royal Ridge neighbour! I’m going to be in block 2. When is your closing? I just finished up all my colour selections and things and hope it’s all going to look good together! Lol. I close end of September.

I loved the Stirling model, especially the roof and bay window in the master bedroom. Driving through the site I noticed there were quite a few bay window homes (stirling) being built. The only reasons I didn’t get the stirling is the fact that a good friend had just bought the same model in a different area. So it was between the wimbledon and the wembly I think. At the end of the day it came to loving the size of the ensuite washroom and additional space in the basement. Is your unit one of the walk-outs?

You’ll find a lot of useful information on this forum. Be sure to update your progress as well as any questions.
Old 2011-02-24, 10:45 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensfan View Post
Welcome George!

Iím sure glad to find another Royal Ridge neighbour! Iím going to be in block 2. When is your closing? I just finished up all my colour selections and things and hope itís all going to look good together! Lol. I close end of September.

I loved the Stirling model, especially the roof and bay window in the master bedroom. Driving through the site I noticed there were quite a few bay window homes (stirling) being built. The only reasons I didnít get the stirling is the fact that a good friend had just bought the same model in a different area. So it was between the wimbledon and the wembly I think. At the end of the day it came to loving the size of the ensuite washroom and additional space in the basement. Is your unit one of the walk-outs?

Youíll find a lot of useful information on this forum. Be sure to update your progress as well as any questions.

They said our closing is in December, but they think it might be earlier than that. I really hope it's sooner! I was talking to the guy who does the wiring in the houses, and he said they're ahead of schedule.

The Stirling III model is really nice. My favourite part is the huge master bedroom with the high ceilings.

It's so hard to decide on the colour scheme. We're upgrading our cabinets and am not sure which floor and counter colours go best with which cabinets. What have you decided on?

When we chose our house, there were only 4 townhouses left. It's not a walk-out, but it does back onto one. We chose it because it doesn't have an easement. We're hoping to put up a little fence on each side for our dog.

I'm wondering how they're going to do the yard. Do you know if there will be a big retaining wall? I really hope they split the space down the middle and not use extra space for the wall.

The Royal Ridge location is an amazing location for me because it's a 6.5 minute walk down to the transitway. (#95 bus route). It's also a 5 minute walk to the strip mall, which has a Giant Tiger, bar/restaurant, bakery, etc. It's also a quick bike ride down to Petrie Island! There's a walking trail in the woods nearby as well.
Old 2011-02-25, 10:00 AM
Regular User

I love the location of this development and how it won’t be super busy because it’s a little secluded but super convenient because it’s close to the highway and all the shops are still nearby. All that space between us and the trim park and ride is going to be commercial development which will be nice as well. I was looking at a few other locations in Orleans as well and it’s crazy how far south they are developing! It’ll be nice that once these homes are built, we won’t be living in a constant construction zone and worry about additional phases being released.

It amazes me how quickly homes are popping up in the area! I think all the towns and singles have foundations in at the very least. A lot of homes are pretty much done on the exterior. Some people are scheduled to move in May, at the rate things are going I wouldn’t be surprised if all the units are done by the summer!

As for upgrades and colour selections, because I went with the more expensive model, there wasn’t a lot of budget left for upgrades, lol. For upgrades I added a basement rough-in, a capped light above the breakfast bar to hang some lights, and tried to make a couple structural changes but they weren’t all approved. Because they only recently opened the model home for my model, there were a few little issues that came up that had to be addressed, such as the location of some of the light switches for the stairs, the way the doors opened (outwards instead of inwards), and a few changes due to the location of bulkheads.

For colours, I love the dark wood. I went with the prefinished red oak in walnut (the second darkest one). I liked the black colour but there wasn’t a cabinet I liked that matched unless I upgraded like 5 levels…I went with light counter, light carpet, a beige backsplash, light kitchen floor. For the bathrooms upstairs I ended up going with the white cabinets.

Did you make any other changes to your model? My friend put two potlights above the fire place and it looks really nice. There’s a contractor who will contact you later on and offers some services at a cheaper price than the builder. I ended up getting two conduits as I’ll be putting my tv above the fire place and got some speaker wires run in the basement for home theatre since it will all be finished. Im also getting them to install a vac-pan under the kitchen sink.

As for the retaining wall, i'm not sure. I don't think it's steep enough for them to need one but I honestly have no idea. Next time you're at the sales/design office ask to see your construction drawings to see the location of the lights, switches, grading, and other things. It may give you more info about whether there would be a retaining wall in your backyard. Also any electrical and structural changes need to be done pretty much asap since construction is well underway.

Last edited by sensfan; 2011-02-26 at 10:44 AM.
Old 2011-02-26, 08:54 PM
Regular User

I'm not sure which kind of hardwood floor to choose. Do you know what the difference is between the prefinished hardwood floor and the stuff that isn't prefinished? Which one is better? What colour are your cabinets?

We're thinking of either the "Malibu Hazelnut Maple" or the "Mailbu Pecan Maple" cabinets with a lighter counter top and floor. In our en suite bathroom, we replaced the standard soaker tub with a whirlpool tub.

We asked about making changes to our model but they said it was too late.

We like the idea of pot lights but were told they cost about $500 each. That seems like a lot. We still haven't ruled them out, though. I think they would look nice in the kitchen.

Thanks!
George
Old 2011-02-28, 08:59 PM
Regular User

I wasn't sure about the difference in woods either but just did a bit of research to see the pros and cons. In the end I didn't like how the site finished ones showed a lot more grain in the wood.

For the cabinets I went with either the Oak Elegent or the Wenge in Maple. I'll have to double check. They're almost identical in colour though, a dark brown.

How much did it cost you to upgrade to the whirlpool?

Yeah I was quoted something ridiculous like 500$/pot light too. Instead I asked for a couple capped lights. That way the switch and wiring is all there and I can put in my own lights afterwards. Its a MUCH cheaper alternative. I think they were about 70$ each if i recall.
Old 2011-02-28, 10:45 PM
Regular User

We also had a look at the exact same cabinets and floor combo, and that's one of our 3 candidate choices. We were thinking of have a lighter counter top to give a bit of contrast. It's a tough decision though, because there are so many different choices.

The whirlpool upgrade cost $2500. It's an expensive upgrade, but we figure if we don't do it now, then we'll probably never get the opportunity to get one.

Just out of curiosity, what are capped lights? We're looking for cheaper alternatives as well. We really like pot lights but aren't sure if we can afford the,. We have a meeting with Claridge this week to go over all of the upgrades in our house. I'm afraid to look at the final price tag because I'm sure we'll have to start crossing things off of the list.

I spoke to the guy who does the wiring for the cable TV, alarm system, central vac, etc. and he said that the construction of the Royal Ridge townhouses are moving along very quickly. I got the impression they will be done ahead of schedule. I had a look at my unit, and they still have only done the foundation. Hopefully they'll be able to concentrate on my unit, once the others are done. It would be awesome if I could move in this fall, or even late summer.

Thanks!
George

Last edited by whippet0; 2011-02-28 at 10:54 PM.
Old 2011-03-01, 10:36 AM
Regular User

Yeah I have dark wood throughout and a light backsplash, kitchen floor, and countertops.

Will you be upgrading the standard appliances? Apparently you can upgrade to a sliver mist (stainless alternative) for about 300-400$ and actual stainless ones for about 600 I think. I have an appointment in a couple weeks with the Brick commercial sales lady to finalize the appliances.

It will be nice to have the whirlpool for sure!

I think the ‘correct’ term may be capped outlets. Basically its like adding a light fixture without the fixture. It gives you a switch to control the future light and all the wiring is there. Its just a blank plate on the roof, similar to what you would see in some dining rooms before a chandelier has been hung, or occasionally in some bedrooms where fixtures were not provided. When you remove the plate, all the wiring is there for you to attach your own lights. From my research a lot of people go with the capped outlets instead of pot lights because it is so much cheaper and you can easily put in your own lights afterwards.

Did you add anythings with the wiring/alarm/vac guy? I think your block and my block are the only ones that don’t have much going on. All the other ones have roofs on them! Hopefully that means they’re starting us next!
Old 2011-03-01, 10:29 PM
Regular User

We're definitely going to get different appliances. We still have to take a look at what we can get at The Brick, but if they don't have what we want, we're going to take a cash credit and buy them somewhere else. They told us we could get the following cash credit for the appliances:

refrigerator = $495
stove = $380
dishwasher = $280

Capped outlets is a good idea. We weren't crazy with the default fixtures in the kitchen.

We told the wiring guy we wanted the central vac + vacpan, garage door opener wiring. We have a meeting with him this week. We also want to make sure we can hook up the central vac unit in the garage instead of the basement.

I only wish they had more options for the pre-finished hardwood floor. I wanted maple but all they have is red oak.

I checked out my site today and there's a new stack of wood nearby with the label "block 10" on it. That means they should be starting to build the rest of my house now.

Last edited by whippet0; 2011-03-01 at 10:31 PM.