Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Durham Region > Durham - General

Durham - General For residents of and soon-to-be residents of Ajax, Oshawa, Pickering, Uxbridge, and Scugog

Old 2011-09-26, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmhassa2 View Post
Would you mind sharing some of your quotes? Builder wants around $6K to stain them since we have 2 different sets of stairs....so we're going to be brave and do it ourselves. But if the price to get it done by a pro afterwards is more reasonable we might consider going that route.
The builder is charging me almost $6k to stain and I have got some Chinese contractors for rough quotes. They gave me the quotes around $3.5k to $4.5k. I don't know if I can get lower quote later on but I will try. I believe the most important thing is the contractor's reputation and craftsmanship. I once thought to stain by myself but it seems so time consuming. The process includes sanding, conditioning of wood, stain, and then put protection coat on it. Each step needs to wait and clean up.
Old 2011-10-09, 12:18 AM
Regular User

Seems like this thread is really quite...Any update? We got out 1st brick selection so really happy about that.
Old 2011-11-03, 01:14 PM
Regular User

We had our structural and cabinets color appointment completed. now all we have to do is wait for the dig and see the house build...
Old 2011-11-03, 01:25 PM
Regular User

Hello all,

Check out the link, where I have taken few pic, missed for a month though, but will take more and add to the album,

good luck every one..

http://photobucket.com\Phase5Castlefield
Old 2011-11-03, 10:00 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstnewhome View Post
We had our structural and cabinets color appointment completed. now all we have to do is wait for the dig and see the house build...
Wow you had your color appointment completed already? When do you close???
We had our structural end of Sept and the color appointment is end of Nov....The house are being built really quickly, pretty sure we'll close on time. How was your color appointment experience? How long were you there for??
Old 2011-11-04, 10:18 AM
Regular User

We close on June 11 as per the contract, color appt was stress full, lots of proper decision to make right away, we got the Granite counter top from them, stairs pickets (iron), back splash for $150 as a promo upgrade 3, marble in the en suite with under mount sinks, mostly spend money in the kitchen for upgrade, cause we are getting the wall build in appliances Oven and Micro and Cook top. we also got hood fan from the builder with the hood build in as well. let me tell you we were there for 5 hrs as we did not browse before, so an hr of browsing and 4 hrs of color picking.

will add the pictures on to the link that I have on the previous post. when is your closing? and what upgrade have you decided to go for?
Old 2011-11-04, 01:50 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstnewhome View Post
We close on June 11 as per the contract, color appt was stress full, lots of proper decision to make right away, we got the Granite counter top from them, stairs pickets (iron), back splash for $150 as a promo upgrade 3, marble in the en suite with under mount sinks, mostly spend money in the kitchen for upgrade, cause we are getting the wall build in appliances Oven and Micro and Cook top. we also got hood fan from the builder with the hood build in as well. let me tell you we were there for 5 hrs as we did not browse before, so an hr of browsing and 4 hrs of color picking.

will add the pictures on to the link that I have on the previous post. when is your closing? and what upgrade have you decided to go for?
We close first week of June, so not sure why they booked us end of November. Wow 4 hours eh? We have a 17 month and a 5 month...so we have to leave them with my MIL or else nothing will get done. If you dont mind me asking a few questions:
What is the $150 backsplash promo? We get standard backsplash but they are So hideous we're going to ask them to not even put them up.
Also how much was the marble for the ensuite?

We're making some kitchen design changes, moving the dishwasher/sink onto the wall backing into the family and adding a island, also adding a cooktop and walloven/microwave combo as well. We're going to add a chimey style hood once we close and upgrade the cabinets to maple in espresso. Our granite, valance and light, taller cabinets are standard, does your model not come with granite? We would like to get upgrade 2 on that but the price is just too much so going to stick with the standard granite. We're also adding iron picket, change hardwood floor color and a bunch of other changes to the original layout. Ahhh that's a lot..but couldn't be happier! On a brighter note they started framing the foundation for our house. I'm going to post a few pics soon..what's your lot #?
Old 2011-11-04, 04:29 PM
Regular User

Also in your photo album what's the name of the tile you choose for the foyer? Thanks
Old 2011-11-08, 09:09 PM
Regular User

Hi there, sorry for late reply I am lot 117, they have not started my house yet, but they are working fast, we r getting build in wall oven and seperate micro, just in case if the build in oven breaks or the micro, so for build in wall oven they had to put extra cabinets $1450 we also took pots and pan drawer under the cooktop $855. If we just wanted doors it was $630 and $80 for electrical outlet for micro. We also upgraded the cabinets from oak to maple and we took the expresso color..

Foyer tile I really liked the upgrade 3 teak wood but it was another $1300 so we picked standard Classico Tra 12/12 ivory std.

Back splash we took Tuscany cream decor $255 with inserts, ensuite marble was for $1275 plus $320 for undercount sink each, so that's $640.

Granite was included but we opt out first and took 9 feet ceiling, than got the 1 1/2 Polished edge gallo ornamentale upgrade 3 which cost me another $5510 for granite. since we are getting the build in appliances there was another $600 for counter top to cover the space.

Hope we close on time, good to know they have started framing ur place. Oh yes we did get the iron pickets $1990 .. It's lot of money if u look around at the decor center, things can add up very quickly..

Hope this helps..

Thanks
Old 2011-11-09, 07:31 PM
Regular User

Looks like we've done similar upgrades...as for pricing since we dont want to go over $15K in total I've gotten everything on a spreadsheet...currently we sit at $14K so very close to the limit hubby gave me.

Just a suggestion granite from outside would have been MUCH cheaper. We currently have giallo ornamental at our current house which we renovated in 2009 and it was around $25/sq including undermount sink. We get granite as standard so we're going to just stick with their samples but to upgrade to a different color the difference itself would be enough to get brand new granite after closing.

We're doing the following after closing::
-Backsplash, we get the standard ones but to upgrade is not worth the $$
-Foyer, adding marble tiles and a marble medallion
-Staining of stairs
-Chimney hood
-Wrought iron door inserts
-Potlights
-Change all door knobs

Have you picked out your appliances? Hubby is a store manger for Sears home, so we'll be getting all appliances through them and probably a counter-depth fridge since it makes a huge difference in the kitchen look.

Cant wait to see how all this comes together! Our decor appointment has been moved to next Tuesday, so excited and nervous at the same time!