Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2020-03-03, 08:03 AM
Regular User

Those likely are all just the land value portion. The complete property tax bill will probably come in a year or two later, after MPAC has fully assessed your properties. Stash some coins for the upcoming $$$ tax bills.
Old 2020-03-04, 12:44 PM
Regular User

We moved in November 2018. Got a bill for the land portion June 2019 and also got another property tax bill a few days ago for about 500$. A person from MPAC came to assess the property back in November 2019 as well so it takes a while. Like Uki said, save save save.
Old 2020-03-05, 06:15 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemy1415 View Post
We moved in November 2018. Got a bill for the land portion June 2019 and also got another property tax bill a few days ago for about 500$. A person from MPAC came to assess the property back in November 2019 as well so it takes a while. Like Uki said, save save save.
Yep we have been putting $$$ aside. So once they reassess the property do we would get a back dated property tax bill? Or would that be the new tax going forward?
Old 2020-03-05, 11:42 AM
Regular User

Do you think they'll let us off that easily? That said, I signed up for the pre-authorized debit plans from the city to spread the payments. I've been paying several hundreds dollars per month so far for the past few months, so hopefully no huge tax bill surprise in the future.
Old 2020-03-05, 01:38 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairhavenHome View Post
Yep we have been putting $$$ aside. So once they reassess the property do we would get a back dated property tax bill? Or would that be the new tax going forward?
You will get an interim bill that will reflect the updated property value from the first day that you closed. Timing can be unfortunate as if it takes a while for MPAC to complete the assessment, you could eventually end up with the interim bill at full assessed value being received close to next year's bill.

Last edited by OttawaC; 2020-03-05 at 01:41 PM.
Old 2020-03-06, 09:09 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by uki View Post
Do you think they'll let us off that easily? That said, I signed up for the pre-authorized debit plans from the city to spread the payments. I've been paying several hundreds dollars per month so far for the past few months, so hopefully no huge tax bill surprise in the future.
IMO, it's example of poor policy by the city due to the short amount of notice, but keep in mind that the pre-auth debit plans do not apply to the supplemental tax bill and that your current payments do not take it into account. Supplemental bills are due in one lump sum payment with only 30 days notice:

Properties assessed for new construction or improvements by the Municipal Property Assessment Corporation (MPAC) will receive another tax bill for the current year and up to two preceding years. These tax bills, are issued within 90 days of receipt of data from MPAC and are payable in one instalment with 30 days notice.
Old 2020-07-14, 10:37 AM
Regular User

Hi everyone,
This is unrelated but my cat hasn't returned home so I am posting this here in case anyone in the Bradley Commons area has seen him. He left the night of July 12. Please let me know if you see anything.

I appreciate it and thanks in advance.

https://imgur.com/a/ZkzwDEo
https://imgur.com/kvriT0R
https://imgur.com/hF5b19G