Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2018-04-17, 02:36 PM

Default Mattamy Design Center Appointment-- help needed please

Hello everyone, We bought a townhouse (Oak End) from Mattamy and our design center appointment is next week. This is our first home and we are really nervous about everything. 3 appliances are included and we got $5000 design bonus.

My questions are:

1. should we really change the stairs from carpet to hardwood? what if we want to do it later? will that be cost effective?

2. what about backsplashes? should we do it now or later?

3. they are giving carpet on upper level..should we change it to hardwood now? or should we do it later? we are replacing the main level carpet with Hardwood.

4. also whatever comes to your mind..we can use all the help we get.

Thanks a lot in advance.
Old 2018-04-18, 10:22 AM
Regular User

Hardwood in main level, granite /quartz countertops in kitchen and master ensuite, 9 ft ceilings in main level, tiles in wet areas, upgraded kitchen cabinets are common upgrades you see in general with townhomes/single homes. Backsplash might be cheaper outside (like home depot or lowes) with more choices possibly, but depends if you can wait.
Old 2018-04-18, 10:48 AM
Regular User

To me, the answers are all personal...

1) Depends if you prefer hardwood or carpet. Doing it later might be cheaper, but would be more hassle and wouldn't be covered by Tarion warranty. Also might be a challenge to match the main floor hardwood stain color exactly the same.

2) This one is far easier to do it yourself compared to hardwood floors. But again, no new home warranty.

3) Same as #1.

It all comes down to how much you're willing to pay for convenience by going with the builder upgrade vs saving money by doing it yourself after closing, which would take more time and energy. In my own personal experience, builder upgrades are usually $1-3k more expensive than retail prices for each big ticket item you mentioned above.
Old 2018-04-18, 11:00 AM
Regular User

Depends how much you want to spend. You have limited time and upgrades quickly blow your budget. 5K will barely get you anything, probably only the staircase. You will have to keep a figure in mind like say $30K max including the 5K and stop right there. I would do all structural and must have and prioritize. Adding upgrades can be very tempting

I prioritized like this
1. 9ft ceiling on main floor (though I wish I had done for the 2nd floor as well) I have a Mattamy house.
2. hardwood level 2 on main floor
3. smooth ceiling if not included
4. quartz level 2 countertops in kitchen and bathroom
5. glass shower in bathroom - I think a glass shower looks really good
6. got the basic tile backsplash from Mattamy. Though I saw my neighbour got his from Home Depot and did it in a day. He did the hardwood floors as well by himself. I think you just stick it on and seems very easy and looks better than mine.
7. Cat 5 data cable in all rooms. This is nice to have for fibe TV and internet
as sometimes wireless can be spotty. If you want to have a security camera installed later above the garage or at the door, now is the time to have it all wired with electrical and cat 5 outlets.

I did not do the hardwood staircase, though that would have looked nice.

Everything is always nice to have but you have to keep in mind what is the maximum you would like to spend. I think going overboard with upgrades and broke wont fetch you a better resale price as in five years a buyer might find the selection dated and would want to change everything.
You should try and ask them to throw something in for free. Never know.
Old 2018-04-18, 11:04 AM
Regular User

hardwood on upper level would be nice and last for long. I have carpet and in no time it got dirty and catches all kinds of fibres and dirt.
Old 2018-04-18, 01:41 PM
Regular User

If you want a wood staircase, it's probably best to do it now.

For floors, you might want to consider their laminate if you have pets or kids. Mine looks good and is easy to care for and I don't have to worry about scratches. I went with upgraded carpet upstairs(which then came with upgraded underpad).

Upgrading the kitchen makes sense and can quickly add up, but unless you are planning on ripping it all out, it makes more sense to do now.

Look at lighting - do you want to move anything? change to pot lights? I added pot lights and added boxes behind bathroom lights so I can easily change them out later.

Look at electrical - you might want to add a few outlets downstairs if you aren't finishing your basement right away, and maybe add some lights.

Adding cat5 to various rooms is handy and I also ran coax.

Look at your furnace specs - I upgraded mine.

Things to do later - garage door opener, central air

Either way - backsplash, counters, fireplace surround

How much you upgrade and when will depend on your budget, how handy and how much time you have, and how long you're planning to stay.
Old 2018-04-18, 02:19 PM
Administrator

Basement to attic conduit for any future low voltage wiring.. cameras, speakers, alarm, video, etc.
For Your Home - For Your Condo - For Your Office

http://www.phand.ca/
Old 2018-04-19, 12:17 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregS View Post
Basement to attic conduit for any future low voltage wiring.. cameras, speakers, alarm, video, etc.
This is the best thing to do, I regret not doing it for my house. Any cabling always do it while house is being constructed.
Old 2018-04-20, 06:48 PM
Regular User

I forgot to add that I upgraded the kitchen cabinets level 2. I added pots and pan drawers. Upgraded cabinets are very important from resale point of view or so I was told. As well taller doors throughout the house. What I regret spending money on was TV ready wall above the fireplace. I realized the TV would be too high to comfortably watch (neck strain) so gave up the idea.
Old 2018-04-20, 06:53 PM
Regular User

My neighbor did the fully insulated garage. He claims its keeps the house warmer. Not sure if it is money well spent. I did not do it so don't know if that is a good thing to do.