Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2018-07-17, 08:31 PM

Default Grout Sealer Recommendation

Hi! We take possession of our new house in 2 weeks and we were advised today during our PDI that we should seal the grout for our bathroom tiles, kitchen backsplash, and all ceramic flooring tiles. Does anyone have any recommendations for specific grout sealers that they have used? Thanks!
Old 2018-07-18, 01:07 PM
Regular User

I used the aerosol sealer at Home Depot (link below). I like it because you just spray it on and then wipe away the excess on the tile. I used it on all the tile in our current house and our previous one. I choose to re-seal the high traffic areas (backsplash, mudroom, tub) about once a year just to be safe...

https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.t...000106573.html
Old 2018-07-18, 01:46 PM
Regular User

I prefer to use Dupont StoneTech Professional Heavy Duty Grout Sealer for Ceramic Tile.

I pour it into a cup and then dip a flat foam brush into it and then brush all the grout.
Old 2018-07-18, 01:54 PM
Regular User

Uh, I didn't know about this until now. My standing shower tile grout change color to pink so quick; it requires multiple cleans every week. Did you guys all know about this and apply it since day 1? My house is close to a year's old now. The grout in high traffic kitchen area also somewhat changed colour, but it is better late than never I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah2012 View Post
I used the aerosol sealer at Home Depot (link below). I like it because you just spray it on and then wipe away the excess on the tile. I used it on all the tile in our current house and our previous one. I choose to re-seal the high traffic areas (backsplash, mudroom, tub) about once a year just to be safe...

https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.t...000106573.html
Old 2018-07-19, 09:54 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by haivi View Post
Uh, I didn't know about this until now. My standing shower tile grout change color to pink so quick; it requires multiple cleans every week. Did you guys all know about this and apply it since day 1? My house is close to a year's old now. The grout in high traffic kitchen area also somewhat changed colour, but it is better late than never I guess.
You're still ok!

You can use a grout cleaner like this one:
https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.z...000137360.html

Give it a good clean (maybe multiple passes) to get it back to as close to the original colour and then seal.

I've use this stuff and it works great:
https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.t...000425769.html

Mattamy | Half Moon Bay - Phase 2 | Elm 'B'
Closing Date: July 29, 2014
Old 2018-07-19, 12:56 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by haivi View Post
This is one of those super important things that only some people find out about! We were lucky that the girl doing our PDI in our first house mentioned that we should seal all the grout as soon as we moved in. Guy doing the PDI in our second house never mentioned it to us or any of our neighbors - I noticed the omission so I casually brought it up in conversation every time we met a new neighbor to make sure they knew how important it was!

So new home owners, seal all of your grout immediately!!
Old 2018-07-24, 07:57 AM
Regular User

Thanks guys. I got the cleaner and the spray over the weekend. Now I just have to find some times to do it.
Old 2018-07-26, 09:01 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah2012 View Post
This is one of those super important things that only some people find out about! We were lucky that the girl doing our PDI in our first house mentioned that we should seal all the grout as soon as we moved in. Guy doing the PDI in our second house never mentioned it to us or any of our neighbors - I noticed the omission so I casually brought it up in conversation every time we met a new neighbor to make sure they knew how important it was!

So new home owners, seal all of your grout immediately!!
Did you just spray it on a let it dry or did you wipe with sponge after?
Old 2018-07-27, 02:42 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyM View Post
Did you just spray it on a let it dry or did you wipe with sponge after?
The aerosol spray one just sprays on and air dries. I wiped away the excess on the actual tile but not the grout.
Old 2018-07-31, 10:45 AM
Regular User

Thanks so much for this very useful information. Two new houses & no one told us about this, even when we brought up the grouting issues the builder's rep never said anything to this effect. Over a year now so I'm hoping it still will be useful.......
Thanks again