Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2009-05-14, 10:19 AM
Regular User

Angry Potvin Nixes Expresso Stain

I went the the Richcraft Design Centre last night and was very unhappy to find out that Potvin has axed the Expresso stain. Megan, our designer said that she just took it off the shelves that afternoon so she wasn't sure what going to happen. I guess they were having problems with the stain similar to Mattamy and the Java stain (replaced by Cocoa).

I asked her if she knew if Potvin would be replacing it with a similar stain and she was unsure, however she said she would call and ask today. She thinks that Potvin would replace the stain since it is a very popular one and there isn't any other dark options on wood.

Our other option is to do the Thermoplastic Shakers in the dark brown but I'm not sold on it. I just prefer the real wood vs the Thermoplastic and I can't justify spending an extra 2k on something I don't love.

We have until next Wednesday to make our final decision on the Cabinetry colours so we're just waiting on Potvin. It sucks because our hardwood choice is dependent upon our cabinet selection.

If anyone has any suggestions, pics (of both styles or dark cabs) or info please send it my way!

Thanks.

Last edited by homeshoppin; 2009-05-14 at 10:39 AM.
Old 2009-05-14, 10:35 AM
Regular User

I have the thermoplastic shakers in dark brown in my Potvin kitchen and i love them. Easy to clean, uniform look, no ugly coarse grain showing. We actually chose those over the real wood ones (resistant to warping, yellowing, fading, etc)
Old 2009-05-14, 11:24 AM
Regular User

I have heard that thermoplastic peels? Is this true?
Old 2009-05-14, 11:59 AM
Regular User

Not true at all. Maybe on the veneer part that they use to cover exposed wood around the edge, but you'll find that on every cabinet. Ours are not peeling anywhere.

Ours are 1.5 years old, I know it's not too long but you're welcome to come over to see how they've held up.
Old 2009-05-14, 01:14 PM
Regular User

We have the dark stained cupboards in our Richcraft kitchen and we love it. We chose the shaker style door as it is a classic. I wanted the wood as should styles change before we move, it would be easy to change. I was thinking if dark is out and light in, for instance, a good painting and that is all.

I don't care for the thermalfoil. I didn't realize though that they were an upgrade. WOW! That is surprising. It is only a personal preference, but I like the look and feel of wood.
Old 2009-05-14, 02:31 PM
Regular User

For what its worth I had the thermoplastic in my last home which was approx 10 years old when we moved and they were starting to peel, especially in areas where the toaster and kettle were. We had to make sure to have a lot clearance with these appliances and I had to use glue to fix it. Would only last a few months before needing anther touchup. I find they look kind of cheap as well and swore I would never have them after seeing how they wear over time. You can't beat real wood for somethings.
Old 2009-05-14, 02:53 PM
Regular User

*shrug* I don't think it looks cheap. Mine hasn't peeled anywhere. And 10 years is a LONG time for product development. I'd love to see what wood cabinets look like after 10 years of use.

Old 2009-05-14, 04:36 PM
Regular User

Just my opinion but I would be pretty upset if I upgraded my cabinets and they started to peel at 10 years, I don't thing 10 years is that long of a period of time for such an investment. I don't know anything about thermofoil, maybe the new ones last longer. I can speak for the wood though, our last house had wood and they were at least 30 years old. When we sold, we just sanded them a bit and put a fresh coat of stain and they looked great. Just my opinion.

Jen and Shel
Old 2009-05-14, 04:38 PM
Regular User

Oh, I forgot to add, Fingers - your kitchen looks great!

Jen and Shel
Old 2009-05-14, 07:13 PM
Regular User

I have the expresso stain in my kitchen (wood) and the thermoplastic in my bathroom. I gotta tell ya I'm not loving the look in my bathroom. I thought I would comment seeing how I live with both. Did she tell you what the problem with the expresso cabinet was??