Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Closed Thread

Old 2015-10-13, 01:19 AM
Regular User

Angry *WARNING* B&Es in New Builds...

I just wanted to send out this warning to anyone in and around a new build area, specifically Havencrest in the barrhaven area.

Unfortunately, the other day I fell victim to a break and enter. I had just closed and my appliances had just been installed. There have apparently been a number of B&Es in the area involving newly closed houses and stealing of appliances. Tartan is not warning it's customers about these break ins, and they do not care as it is not their problem after closing. They do have 24 hr security for the area of the new builds, but the security is crap- they don't care. In fact, the security guard saw a white van parked in the driveway and a middle eastern man, and because he waved they didn't question anything, nor take down any license plate.

I just wanted to let everyone know, so they can be on the lookout and aware of the issue.
Old 2015-10-13, 02:52 PM
Regular User

How are they getting in ?
Old 2015-10-13, 05:26 PM
Regular User

I wouldn't go so far as to say "Tartan doesn't care"...I suspect they do, but this is a matter for the police to investigate and warn the public/community about, not the builder of your home.

Sorry to hear this happened to you.
Old 2015-10-13, 07:17 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by good2know View Post
How are they getting in ?
Through the garage door.
Old 2015-10-14, 08:26 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gg60 View Post
Through the garage door.
They would have two doors to get through - the garage door itself, but also your man door, which should be locked?

That sucks, with new developments it's hard because the security people don't know who is moving in per say so if they saw someone there with a truck moving stuff they might just assume it's the owner.

Your builder might be able to also help provide you with security footage if any, but not that they don't care, but once you've taken possession of the house, they are no longer responsible to provide security for the property, that falls on the owner.

Hopefully your police report will find the culprits.
---------------------------------------------------
Valecraft: Marseilles II End - Trailwest
June 12, 2014

覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧
Caivan: Series 1, Plan 2
June 4, 2020

Old 2015-10-14, 10:08 AM
Regular User

If you're new to home ownership, that was your first cruel lesson... The second will be that if you reported it to the police, your neighbours will now hate you for bringing down the property value because there is now a B&E on record for the street.
B&Es are every neighbourhood's dirty little secret so it's not surprising that no one mentioned anything.
...not saying it's right, you should have every right to purchase something and expect it to still be there when you get back, but the unfortunate reality is that not everyone sees it that way.
Old 2015-10-14, 06:56 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by WellThatsLovely View Post
If you're new to home ownership, that was your first cruel lesson... The second will be that if you reported it to the police, your neighbours will now hate you for bringing down the property value because there is now a B&E on record for the street.
B&Es are every neighbourhood's dirty little secret so it's not surprising that no one mentioned anything.
...not saying it's right, you should have every right to purchase something and expect it to still be there when you get back, but the unfortunate reality is that not everyone sees it that way.
You are joking right? Why would anyone hate someone for being burgled and reporting it?!? That's not at all neighbourly!!

OP, I'm sorry this happened to you!

Old 2015-10-15, 08:40 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by WellThatsLovely View Post
I call hogwash.

There is no way my neighbours or anyone on my street is upset that I file a police report for a B&E (or any other crime) to help protect our community.

If this was ever the case, which I firmly believe no sane or good-hearted person would ever hold against someone, I wouldn't want them in my neighbourhood any way.
Old 2015-10-15, 09:06 AM
Regular User

Can't say I have ever checked the crime history before buying a property.

How do you do that?
Old 2015-10-15, 09:54 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by good2know View Post
Can't say I have ever checked the crime history before buying a property.

How do you do that?
Same here.

What WellThatsLovely says doesn't make much sense to me.
Closed Thread