Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2019-10-07, 12:01 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by heather86 View Post
Hi Phil

I am wondering if this crack in my foundation is anything to be concerned about. It's in the basement of a new build that I have not taken possession of. The crack goes from wall to wall, about 19ft.

Any input you can provide would be appreciated.
Basements are full of them and hairline ones like that are no cause for alarm; it's the ones that measure a certain diameter (Phil can cite the code) that you need to be concerned with (i.e. able to fit a quarter into, or similar).

Congrats on your soon-to-be new home!
Old 2019-10-17, 10:57 PM
Regular User

Just for clarification, the crack shown in the picture is in the basement concrete floor.

Cracks in concrete floors in residential construction are not a structural concern. The norm is to have cracks in concrete floors, in the basement and in the garage concrete slab. The Ontario Building code does not have any requirements related slab cracks.

Just a note that there may be a concern for poured concrete floor structures in high-rises.

Tarion does have a warrantable item related to basement slab cracks. In th Tarion Construction Performance Guidelines, Condition 1.4. "Concrete Basement Floor Is Cracked", cracks greater than 4 mm in width are not acceptable. The method Tarion uses to measure crack width is with a 6 mm hex-key.

WEB: www.ackerhome.ca
PHONE: 613-447-9660
E-MAIL: phil@ackerhome.ca
Old 2019-10-28, 06:41 PM

Default Laundry tub

Hi Phil,

I have a 2nd floor laundry room and a laundry tub in the basement. My question is can I remove the laundry tub in the basement so as to make the finished basement bigger. If I do remove it will it void my tarion warranty or home insurance.

Thank you!
Old 2019-11-01, 09:40 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowans Discovery View Post
I have a 2nd floor laundry room and a laundry tub in the basement. My question is can I remove the laundry tub in the basement so as to make the finished basement bigger. If I do remove it will it void my tarion warranty or home insurance.
Removing the laundry tub will not effect either of your Tarion Warranty coverage or have an impact on your home insurance provided it is removed in a means consistent with good plumbing practices. Using a plumber to conduct this change is the safest method in my opinion.

Old 2019-11-08, 01:55 PM

Hi phil, I am sure this has been asked a thousand times however when do you recommend to get home inspections.

I was thinking during the frame walk and 1 year Warranty check.
Would you recommend doing another? I have also seen some inspector packages for new builds that state they would go multiple times during construction, PDI and 1 year warranty.

Thanks,
Kaleb.
Old 2019-11-08, 01:57 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebus05 View Post
Hi phil, I am sure this has been asked a thousand times however when do you recommend to get home inspections.

I was thinking during the frame walk and 1 year Warranty check.
Would your recommend doing another or I have seen some inspector packages for new builds that state they would go multiple times during construction, PDI and 1 year warranty.

Thanks,
Kaleb.
Based on what I've read here, most inspectors seem to recommend not bringing in an inspector until the 30 day inspection, and the 1 year (And anything you want before).

There's little sense in bringing an inspector to a PDI:
  1. Most things at PDI don't get fixed before the 30 day list anyways (It's not a statutory inspection)
  2. PDI is about learning about the home and looking mostly for cosmetic things & missing things.

The framing walkthrough certainly makes more sense than PDI does, given the inspector would be able to take a look at the bones of the house, but at that point insulation usually isn't done, so they'd effectively be looking at structural & electrical....not much beyond that.
Old 2019-11-08, 09:13 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebus05 View Post
. . . I was thinking during the frame walk and 1 year Warranty check.
Would you recommend doing another? I have also seen some inspector packages for new builds that state they would go multiple times during construction, PDI and 1 year warranty.
I'll start with what I don't do: framewalks. There is not protocol for inspectors to follow as the house is being checked at a non-specific point in its construction. The exception is where I have clients that are out of town and have retained me to stand in for them at the framewalk.

I prefer not to do PDI's as the focus of this milestone is where the builder takes the purchaser through their new home to review completion, that the home was built to expectations, to go introduce the Tarion warranty, and to identify deficiencies. As I only see my clients a few minutes at the start and a few minutes at the end, I feel that I am not able to properly communicate my findings during the inspection. I encourage people that wish me to come in at the PDI to choose the 30-Day milestone as a better option.

Some inspectors conduct stage inspections, where they come in at about 5 or 6 construction milestones to review the home as its being build. I do not perform this type of inspection for a number of reasons.

I do not provide for a package of inspections. I do quite fine with taking on contracts one at a time.

Old 2019-11-08, 09:28 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector Phil Acker View Post
I'll start with what I don't do: framewalks. There is not protocol for inspectors to follow as the house is being checked at a non-specific point in its construction. The exception is where I have clients that are out of town and have retained me to stand in for them at the framewalk.

I prefer not to do PDI's as the focus of this milestone is where the builder takes the purchaser through their new home to review completion, that the home was built to expectations, to go introduce the Tarion warranty, and to identify deficiencies. As I only see my clients a few minutes at the start and a few minutes at the end, I feel that I am not able to properly communicate my findings during the inspection. I encourage people that wish me to come in at the PDI to choose the 30-Day milestone as a better option.

Some inspectors conduct stage inspections, where they come in at about 5 or 6 construction milestones to review the home as its being build. I do not perform this type of inspection for a number of reasons.

I do not provide for a package of inspections. I do quite fine with taking on contracts one at a time.
Looking forward to you inspecting my place!
Old 2019-11-10, 09:37 PM
Regular User

Hey Phil,

I have a question!

I currently have a roof over a portion of my garage and porch. This section of roofing is not over living space. However, at times I do get water dripping from the soffets of the porch and water staining on the garage ceiling. I noticed this happens after a cold day, followed by a warmer day with sun.

It is not a lot of water, so I am thinking condensation is building on the roof since there is no venting.

Do all roofs require venting? Or only roofs over living spaces?

Thanks!
Old 2019-11-19, 08:21 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Pants View Post
. . . I currently have a roof over a portion of my garage and porch. This section of roofing is not over living space. However, at times I do get water dripping from the soffets of the porch and water staining on the garage ceiling. I noticed this happens after a cold day, followed by a warmer day with sun.

It is not a lot of water, so I am thinking condensation is building on the roof since there is no venting.

Do all roofs require venting? Or only roofs over living spaces?
Venting of roof spaces applies only where the space is insulated. If you have an uninsulated front porch and garage roof space, then vents are not required.

Water coming through the soffits only during a warm spell after a cold snap is usually due to air leakage from your home into the roof space. Condensation occurs when the moist, warm inside air meets cold outside air. In certain cases, large chunks of ice can form due to this air leakage. When the roof space warms, the frost and ice melts.