Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2019-10-03, 11:55 AM

Default Help with choice between two Mattamy models at summerside south Orleans

I have decided to go ahead and sign up for a Mattamy home in Summerside south Orleans. First, I'd like to point out that Mattamy increased its pricing by $17k from Sep 23 to Oct 03. I will need help figuring out the actual home price, as Mattamy only list the base price. I'm mostly interested in the base price plus Architect's Choice Options (ACO) plus few design options. I'm interested in the 30' lot models, mainly the Wildflower ($479,990) and the Wintergreen (492,990). As you can see there is $12k difference in base price between the two models, but when I include the ACO options the difference reduces to a mere $1,809. This is mostly due to that the Wildflower ACO option of bath oasis for ~$10k, whereas this option is already included in the base price for the Wintergreen model. Should I go for the Wildflower or the Wintergreen model? The Wintergreen is larger by 201 sq.ft. I will appreciate your feedback. Thank you.
Old 2019-10-04, 08:20 AM

I don't know but I would go with Wintergreen because of the fourth bedroom included, Great room little bigger and the home entrance from he front of the home, and master bedroom has shower. Good luck
Old 2019-10-04, 09:19 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbaga View Post
I have decided to go ahead and sign up for a Mattamy home in Summerside south Orleans. First, I'd like to point out that Mattamy increased its pricing by $17k from Sep 23 to Oct 03. I will need help figuring out the actual home price, as Mattamy only list the base price. I'm mostly interested in the base price plus Architect's Choice Options (ACO) plus few design options. I'm interested in the 30' lot models, mainly the Wildflower ($479,990) and the Wintergreen (492,990). As you can see there is $12k difference in base price between the two models, but when I include the ACO options the difference reduces to a mere $1,809. This is mostly due to that the Wildflower ACO option of bath oasis for ~$10k, whereas this option is already included in the base price for the Wintergreen model. Should I go for the Wildflower or the Wintergreen model? The Wintergreen is larger by 201 sq.ft. I will appreciate your feedback. Thank you.
My thoughts between the 2:

Wintergreen pros:
Garage door is at back wall instead of side. and exits into its own mudroom. More groundfloor closet room
Powderoom is better located and has a better layout.
Pillars, coffered ceiling better than the pillar location and soffit in wildflower.
Includes breakfast area
No dropped ceiling in front or master bedroom
Larger master
Laundry room includes tub

Wildflower pros:
Includes den
Larger island, Looks like more counterspace
Loft may be better than the 4th bedroom depending on how many beds you need
Larger linen closet
Closets in secondary bedrooms are better integrated.

Personally Id go for the wintergreen. The 3 bedroom plan looks much nicer to live in if you dont need the 4th bed. I think the combo of 4 bedrooms and a single bay garage is a bit odd for the suburbs.

Try to get a lot that is located near large lots. Mattamys communities with small lots are annoying to navigate through, everyone parks on the street and it REALLY sucks in the winter.

Last edited by dvg; 2019-10-04 at 09:21 AM.
Old 2019-10-04, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvg View Post
My thoughts between the 2:

Wintergreen pros:
Garage door is at back wall instead of side. and exits into its own mudroom. More groundfloor closet room
Powderoom is better located and has a better layout.
Pillars, coffered ceiling better than the pillar location and soffit in wildflower.
Includes breakfast area
No dropped ceiling in front or master bedroom
Larger master
Laundry room includes tub

Wildflower pros:
Includes den
Larger island, Looks like more counterspace
Loft may be better than the 4th bedroom depending on how many beds you need
Larger linen closet
Closets in secondary bedrooms are better integrated.

Personally Id go for the wintergreen. The 3 bedroom plan looks much nicer to live in if you dont need the 4th bed. I think the combo of 4 bedrooms and a single bay garage is a bit odd for the suburbs.

Try to get a lot that is located near large lots. Mattamys communities with small lots are annoying to navigate through, everyone parks on the street and it REALLY sucks in the winter.
Thanks dvg and HomeDream. I was already inclined to go with the Wintergreen and your feedback certainly helped to give me that last push. I will go with the 3 bedroom option with the Wintergreen. As for finding a lot next to a larger one, the only neighboring lots are 36' ones. This is my 3rd new home and surely it will be challenging for me to get used to such small lot size.
Old 2019-10-06, 03:17 PM
Regular User

I've toured both models when Mattamy had them as model homes and the Wintergreen was my favourite. I believe they had it as a model in Fairwinds in the 3 bed configuration. It was really nice. The only downside I remember was the entrance area felt a little tight.

As for your final costs, that will depend on your personal choices with regard to upgrades. Some spend none on upgrades while others spend a lot. Are there any upgrades that are must haves for you?
Old 2019-10-06, 10:50 PM
Regular User

In the Abbottsville Crossing community, we only see several wildflower (3-4 )in each street followed by Primrose . Wildflower is the most popular. Barely i saw wintergreen.
Old 2019-10-07, 08:56 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kikka View Post
In the Abbottsville Crossing community, we only see several wildflower (3-4 )in each street followed by Primrose . Wildflower is the most popular. Barely i saw wintergreen.
That's an excellent point. Fact is that some builder models just do not sell and if you are concerned about resale, you may wish to avoid unpopular models. Driving around builder communities and seeing what models are most popular is a great idea.
Old 2019-10-07, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OttawaC View Post
I've toured both models when Mattamy had them as model homes and the Wintergreen was my favourite. I believe they had it as a model in Fairwinds in the 3 bed configuration. It was really nice. The only downside I remember was the entrance area felt a little tight.

As for your final costs, that will depend on your personal choices with regard to upgrades. Some spend none on upgrades while others spend a lot. Are there any upgrades that are must haves for you?
Sorry for the late reply. I have already signed up for the Wintergreen this past Saturday. I have chosen all the architect options, except the 9' ceiling in second floor. I'm not planning to do much in upgrades, except for the few I can't do later, such as kitchen cabinets and drawers. If I upgrade, I'll put all the upgrades in the kitchen (granite or quartz countertops, drawers and cabinets). Hardwood or vinyl or engineered wood planks is my second upgrade, but I think doing afterwards is cheaper.
Old 2019-10-08, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kikka View Post
The opposite is true in Summerside West. I saw way more Wintergreen than Wildflower.