Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2018-10-24, 03:24 PM
Regular User

Default Home cannot close without range hood?

We're in the process of designing our current Cardel home and we've picked out our appliances including an upgraded 36" inch cook top. Cardel has notified us that the home cannot close without a hood fan installed (they are not installing our cook top or other appliances). I'm under the impression this is some sort of cash grab, as they quoted us 3 options for hood fans, all 36" and over $2000 and only 300 CFM, not meeting the specifications of 600 CFM minimum required for our stove top.

Does anyone have any information in regards to this rule? Is this some sort of bylaw where a home cannot close without a hood fan?
Old 2018-10-24, 04:02 PM
Regular User

I'm not sure about the building code, but I wanted an aftermarket hoodfan and I was not willing to pay 1.5k from the builder so what I did was I asked the kitchen designer to create a standalone cabinet (only attached to wall, but NOT joined with the cabinets on the left or right) and attach the hoodfan to the standalone cabinet. I removed the hoodfan and standalone cabinet immediately after I moved in and had an applicance installer install my own chimney hoodfan.
Old 2018-10-24, 04:20 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiteSizeThumb View Post
We're in the process of designing our current Cardel home and we've picked out our appliances including an upgraded 36" inch cook top. Cardel has notified us that the home cannot close without a hood fan installed (they are not installing our cook top or other appliances). I'm under the impression this is some sort of cash grab, as they quoted us 3 options for hood fans, all 36" and over $2000 and only 300 CFM, not meeting the specifications of 600 CFM minimum required for our stove top.

Does anyone have any information in regards to this rule? Is this some sort of bylaw where a home cannot close without a hood fan?
FWIW, my builder said the same exact thing. I stuck with the hideous stock hood fan but will be switching it immediately after moving in.
Old 2018-10-24, 04:21 PM
Regular User

Cannot close without a hood fan, just like they cannot grant a request to not install carpets because you'll rip them out later. House cannot be delivered in an unfinished state.

Basic hood fan should be included at no cost (just like you don't pay for light fixtures).
Old 2018-10-24, 07:57 PM
Regular User

He's right. You can't close on a home without flooring. Friends tried to do it with Pheonix. They didn't pay to upgrade their flooring so Pheonix actually would have saved money on materials had they agreed but they said they are not allowed to.

Also, Minto also told us you can't close without a hoodfan. Pretty sure its for fire code reasons. We opted to pay the 1500 with Minto to get the chimney Hood fan through them for the following reasons:

- if you do it later you have to rip out that portion of cabinetry which is messy, can damage the other side cabinets and can cost additional money if you pay someone to do it.
- if you do it afrer, you can't add that extra spacing on each side of your hoodfan so that it's not touching the side cabinets. Personally I don't like how it looks. Minto is adjusting the side cabinet dimensions to give us that bit of space on each side.

I don't think it's a cash grab. There are rules. Another example, we asked Minto to not install some of our faucets so we could get our own nicer ones after closing. They agreed as long as one of the standard included faucets and shower hardware was installed and operational. They said the house has to have some operating water faucets in order to close.

Last edited by reens09; 2018-10-24 at 08:03 PM.
Old 2018-10-24, 11:14 PM
Regular User

Quote:

Just something to think about... - yes having the fan is code and yes the builders fans - even for $1500 or more (from my experience) are only 300 CFM max, because that is code also. Higher CFM's suck out to much air in these air tight new homes and can pull in/be replaced with fumes/carbon monoxide from furnace, water tank, fireplace etc. I was in the same position as you are, I had a 36 inch gas wolf going in and needed at least 750CFM for the amount of BTU's the burners put out. Soooo... after much research I realized I had to put in make up air to meet code. My builder also would not put in a hood I bought but.. would put it in if I bought the make up air unit from them. So in the end that's what I did. You might want to consider investigating make up air as well. Another thing to consider is upgrading/increasing the duct size to 8 inch for the hood fan venting. I wanted the high CFM with a baffle set up and most I found that I was interested in from my research required 8 inch ducting. You can use the standard 6 but requires connecting an 8 inch out to a 6 inch duct. I didn't want to lose any suction power.. lol . A bit expensive for the make up air unit at $3200.00 but house will meet code at resale and was all complete for move in date. Anyway long story short but system works perfectly and I can pan fry fish at home without you even knowing what I'm cooking haha. Mission accomplished!
Old 2018-10-25, 09:02 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by reens09 View Post
He's right. You can't close on a home without flooring. Friends tried to do it with Pheonix. They didn't pay to upgrade their flooring so Pheonix actually would have saved money on materials had they agreed but they said they are not allowed to.
I can only speak for myself.

I closed with Phoenix in Fernbank Crossing in 2014 and I asked the site supervisor not to install the carpet and he agreed. He had the carpet installer (Westboro flooring) put the huge rolls of carpet and underpad in the basement. I sold all the carpet and underpad on kijiji.
Old 2018-10-25, 09:13 AM
Regular User

Hmm maybe rules have changed or they are following them more closely? They asked Pheonix this about a month ago. It could also be new corporate policies that they have because otherwise they'd have all kinds of requests from buyers.
Old 2018-10-25, 09:29 AM
Regular User

I'm reading online and there are ventilation requirements under building code for homes. That would explain the hoodfan requirement.
Old 2018-10-25, 09:42 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Cardel has notified us that the home cannot close without a hood fan installed (they are not installing our cook top or other appliances). I'm under the impression this is some sort of cash grab, as they quoted us 3 options for hood fans, all 36" and over $2000 and only 300 CFM, not meeting the specifications of 600 CFM minimum required for our stove top.

My understanding is that it is part of code because a builder must deliver a functioning ventilation system that will exhaust directly from the kitchen. Giving you the opportunity to exhaust from the kitchen is not delivering a functioning unit.

Make sure you inquire about adding a make-up air unit. You will need it in order to properly install a higher-CFM fan. We were surprised how few fans actually work with a standard setup....you always see so many pretty, fancy ones in stores and none of them can be installed retroactively w/o an enhanced air unit!

Sadly, we found no other choice than to pay the builder for the make-up air unit and higher-CFM hood fan. And then we would have had to replace their fan if we didn't like it. (This whole thing became too cost-prohibitive for us and we stuck with the included options...)