Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2019-08-14, 10:09 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Orleans View Post
I think the OP was wondering if it was necessary to hire a home inspector at any time since the home was under Tarion warranty. It then somehow morphed into a PDI question.

To the OP. You definitely need a home inspector to look over things. Tarion won't be asking you if you have any warranty items. You need to let them know and an inspector will catch things that should be fixed by the builder.

PDI inspection...no
30 day inspection...definitely yes
1 year inspection...most likely yes.

Definitely like what we did

Cheers
Old 2019-08-18, 01:38 PM
Regular User

On the advice of our home inspector, we did not hire him for the 30-day but had him in before the one-year. It was said that since everything non-cosmetic is covered for the full year, coming in at 30 days was not necessary. (We had plenty on the 30-day without him anyways, LOL) And allowing the home to go through seasonal changes before doing an assessment is very valuable.

But we did end up choosing to have our inspection done about 7 months in because we really wanted it to happen during the dead of winter when heat-loss could be detected.

IMO, if someone really wants a 30-day inspection then they should also do a 1-year. Zero reason to have a PDI inspection - it will all be covered by the 30-day and most/all of it will never be fixed before you move in anyways. Use that PDI time to talk about bad paint jobs, chips in the tile, bad caulking, and bowing hardwood.

Tarion protects no one unless they find the problem themselves. And, for most of us, we don't know what we don't know. Based on the items our home inspectors have found during their inspections, I would strongly say that it is an absolute necessity to hire a trained home inspector. Period. ...but the builders really wish you wouldn't...
Old 2019-09-30, 06:10 PM
Regular User

Yesterday I did a 1 year inspection at a Mattamy home in Oakville for a repeat customer. Nothing major was found so that's good. Among other things, these items were found -

- Caulk was missing around a number of windows.

- The HRV intake was too low to the ground so an extension cover will need to be installed. In Ontario the BOTTOM of HRV intakes must be minimum 17 3/4 inches above the ground unless the local municipality requires that they be higher above the ground.

- Sealant was missing at roof wall flashing details at both sides of the home.

- The kitchen exhaust was missing the required screen.

- The HRV was not installed level.

- No air flow out of a bedroom HVAC floor register, likely not connected in the basement.

- All of the bathroom exhaust ducts in the attic are installed poorly and they are leaking exhaust into the attic. This is a serious problem in the winter when the warm exhaust air condenses and can fill the attic with moisture. Of course this leads to mold and rotted roof sheathing.

- Not enough insulation in areas of the attic.

- Poorly installed dryer exhaust duct = not venting properly. The exterior vent and a portion of the duct should be replaced.

In other words. Not bad overall. Better to have the builder fix these things then to deal with them yourself if identified at a resale inspection.

On a side note - I recently did a pre-purchase inspection of a 6 year old luxury home with huge and very high cathedral ceilings above the open kitchen and living room area. My IR camera found that the builder forgot to install insulation anywhere above this ceiling and making matters worse there was no access to get insulation in there. My buyer walked from the house and the seller was left red faced and mad as hell. Oh well. I guess that's what happens when you spend a million or 2 and don't spend a pittance to have someone check it for you.

Last edited by Halton Home Inspector; 2019-10-01 at 11:12 AM.
Old 2019-10-02, 12:10 PM

Hi Halton Home Inspector,
Very interesting details! Thank you for sharing them.
As a client/customer I cannot judge all the above listed deficiencies in the same way as you do, calling them "nothing major", or "not bad overall".
For me no airflow to one of the registers will qualify as an "intermediate disaster" and leaking bathroom exhaust ducts in the attic as a "horrible mistake". All because I don't know how to deal with things like this alone.
But all jokes aside you mention "not enough insulation in areas of the attic".
AFAIK in Oakville one needs min. R49 attic insulation. I believe you measure the depth of the installed insulation and based on it you can decide if it's enough or not. R49 would need 19-20" of blown fiberglass I guess. Yes, but what about density? What if the insulation is "fluffed up". How can one prove it's enough or not? Using insulation specs only? Will the builder "buy" it?
Thanks in advance!
Old 2019-10-03, 07:19 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitsuko View Post
Hi Halton Home Inspector,
Very interesting details! Thank you for sharing them.
As a client/customer I cannot judge all the above listed deficiencies in the same way as you do, calling them "nothing major", or "not bad overall".
For me no airflow to one of the registers will qualify as an "intermediate disaster" and leaking bathroom exhaust ducts in the attic as a "horrible mistake". All because I don't know how to deal with things like this alone.
But all jokes aside you mention "not enough insulation in areas of the attic".
AFAIK in Oakville one needs min. R49 attic insulation. I believe you measure the depth of the installed insulation and based on it you can decide if it's enough or not. R49 would need 19-20" of blown fiberglass I guess. Yes, but what about density? What if the insulation is "fluffed up". How can one prove it's enough or not? Using insulation specs only? Will the builder "buy" it?
Thanks in advance!
The amount of insulation in a new build will depend on the energy star package that the builder is using. These days most homes have R50 but some have R60.

Yes, it is the thickness of the insulation that is important. Density is not a factor. Loose and fluffy is a good thing. In my reports I include photos of a ruler sticking out of the insulation so there is generally no debate about the thickness.

In this case the thickness was pretty good overall BUT the deciding factor to add the insulation issue to the report was because the builder will need to send a worker into the attic to fix the exhausts. This will trample / compress the insulation.
Old 2019-10-03, 11:48 AM

I see - this was more a combination of factors. Thanks for the additional explanation and details!
Regards
Old 2019-10-09, 09:04 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halton Home Inspector View Post
Yesterday I did a 1 year inspection at a Mattamy home in Oakville for a repeat customer. Nothing major was found so that's good. Among other things, these items were found -

- Caulk was missing around a number of windows.

- The HRV intake was too low to the ground so an extension cover will need to be installed. In Ontario the BOTTOM of HRV intakes must be minimum 17 3/4 inches above the ground unless the local municipality requires that they be higher above the ground.

- Sealant was missing at roof wall flashing details at both sides of the home.

- The kitchen exhaust was missing the required screen.

- The HRV was not installed level.

- No air flow out of a bedroom HVAC floor register, likely not connected in the basement.

- All of the bathroom exhaust ducts in the attic are installed poorly and they are leaking exhaust into the attic. This is a serious problem in the winter when the warm exhaust air condenses and can fill the attic with moisture. Of course this leads to mold and rotted roof sheathing.

- Not enough insulation in areas of the attic.

- Poorly installed dryer exhaust duct = not venting properly. The exterior vent and a portion of the duct should be replaced.

In other words. Not bad overall. Better to have the builder fix these things then to deal with them yourself if identified at a resale inspection.

On a side note - I recently did a pre-purchase inspection of a 6 year old luxury home with huge and very high cathedral ceilings above the open kitchen and living room area. My IR camera found that the builder forgot to install insulation anywhere above this ceiling and making matters worse there was no access to get insulation in there. My buyer walked from the house and the seller was left red faced and mad as hell. Oh well. I guess that's what happens when you spend a million or 2 and don't spend a pittance to have someone check it for you.
Thank you.Fantastic and detailed explanations. Makes it all the more important to hire home inspector for 30 day, 1 year and 2 year inspections.