Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2019-10-05, 02:57 PM
Regular User

Default Black stainless steel appliances

We are at the design centre phase of our construction and we need to settle on some appliances soon. My husband is really into the black stainless steel look, specifically the Samsung line. The only thing is, we need a range hood to match. Samsung only seems to make one model and it's super pricey and has features we just don't need or want (wifi connection). Has anyone else bought a black stainless steel Samsung oven and had success matching another brand range hood to it? Alternatively, are there any good deals going on with the Samsung one anywhere atm? Thanks!
Old 2019-10-06, 09:13 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panamai View Post
We are at the design centre phase of our construction and we need to settle on some appliances soon. My husband is really into the black stainless steel look, specifically the Samsung line. The only thing is, we need a range hood to match. Samsung only seems to make one model and it's super pricey and has features we just don't need or want (wifi connection). Has anyone else bought a black stainless steel Samsung oven and had success matching another brand range hood to it? Alternatively, are there any good deals going on with the Samsung one anywhere atm? Thanks!
My advice is avoid black stainless. It’s a fad that will pass, and when you sell your home it’s likely to hinder. I was really really pushing my wife for black stainless steel. In the end, we went regular stainless. They would contrast too sharply with almost any cabinet.

As an aside, don’t buy a Samsung fridge or dishwasher (or any kitchen appliance really - their laundry line is fine). Very poorly made, one of the highest repair rates of any appliance brand.

If you’re set on it - I believe the GE range hood should match Samsung.
Old 2019-10-06, 01:02 PM
Regular User

Thanks, we don't like black stainless because it's trendy. We like the more subtle look and how much easier it is to keep clean. Additionally, we aren't thinking of resale because this is our forever home.

We'll look into the GE brand for range hoods. We did find another, less expensive Samsung model in the US Best Buy. We live just an hour from Watertown, so we'll likely just buy it there. But just in case that falls through, I'm still open to suggestions and feedback from others here!
Old 2019-10-07, 08:07 AM

Samsung & LG kitchen appliances are generally considered the very bottom rung. They are indeed inexpensive, but when one requires service (note I didn't say "if"), you'll discover that getting parts for them are near-impossible. And while you'll save some money buying from the US (but possibly not, given their tariffs), you'll discover you're warranty-free when the time comes.

While I personally am not fond of the "black stainless" look either, I wouldn't necessarily discourage you from going that way, other than to remind you that when you have to replace one in a few years, you may discover that trend has passed and you're faced with mismatched. Whether that's actually ever a real problem is a gamble you'll have to take. :-)

Also keep in mind that there's that government program on until early next year that can get you a 25% instant rebate on certain appliances. Perhaps that's enough to get you to think about going slightly higher-end, like Bosch or KitchenAid?

And don't limit your shopping to the big-box stores. There are a couple of specialty shops in this area that may surprise you.
Old 2019-10-07, 08:27 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpsmicro View Post
Samsung & LG kitchen appliances are generally considered the very bottom rung. They are indeed inexpensive, but when one requires service (note I didn't say "if"), you'll discover that getting parts for them are near-impossible. And while you'll save some money buying from the US (but possibly not, given their tariffs), you'll discover you're warranty-free when the time comes.

While I personally am not fond of the "black stainless" look either, I wouldn't necessarily discourage you from going that way, other than to remind you that when you have to replace one in a few years, you may discover that trend has passed and you're faced with mismatched. Whether that's actually ever a real problem is a gamble you'll have to take. :-)

Also keep in mind that there's that government program on until early next year that can get you a 25% instant rebate on certain appliances. Perhaps that's enough to get you to think about going slightly higher-end, like Bosch or KitchenAid?

And don't limit your shopping to the big-box stores. There are a couple of specialty shops in this area that may surprise you.
Spoke to my uncle about this this weekend, actually. He owns one of the largest appliance repair companies in Canada (North America?), and used to be the head of appliance repair for one of the big manufacturers. He says 30-40% of his service calls are for Samsung (and many for LG) appliances. He says that Samsung fridges have the highest failure rate of all fridges, especially the Samsung fridges with a water line that goes in (common freezing issue causing a complete breakdown).

For what its worth, Kitchenaid is made by Maytag now, and I think Bosch is made by one of the big companies, too. But, I will say that Kitchenaid maintains its top-of-class status - we paid the premium and did Kitchenaid Fridge (best around), Kitchenaid Stove (Top 3), Bosch dishwasher (handle-less, so it doesn't stand out as being different) (best around), and then Samsung washer/dryer (They're better in their laundry appliances, plus they're much cheaper, so easy to replace once they're out of warranty -- we paid just over 1000 for this laundry team.

You raise a very good point on the replace-ability of black stainless. I think the other factor to consider is chips & dings. If anything happens on black stainless, you'll have a very obvious ding versus regular stainless. Plus, if you buy Samsung, and then the fridge breaks down and you don't want another samsung, good luck matching the black stainless... again, I adore the look of black stainless. I really, really wanted to get it, and the "not forever home" idea was not all that dissuaded me - there were too many negatives.

On your last point - the 25% rebate, DON'T LET RETAILERS THINK THIS IS THE ONLY DISCOUNT YOU GET. Point blank - the Ontario government is paying for 25% of your Energy Star appliance, not the retailer. Get more off - you can probably negotiate AT LEAST another 10% off, if not more.
Old 2019-10-07, 08:40 AM
Regular User

I went with the GE Slate because I liked the look of it. I have dark brown cabinetry and it looks fabulous. I didn't like the GE microwave so went with a Panasonic that I love, in black. It looks just fine as the highlights on the GE appliances are in black.
Old 2019-10-07, 08:41 AM

Sound advice from JCC for sure.

I'm pretty sure Bosch is still Bosch, but it's definitely getting much harder to figure out the players these days.

I originally wanted all-Bosch, but when you get down to it, for any given device type there appears to be a few brands better and a few worse, but it's inconsistent. Bosch isn't known for the best washers/dryers, but very well regarded for fridges, ranges and dishwashers.

We went normal stainless (no little kids anymore to worry about), but a bit of a mix'n'match on brands. In the store, despite the brands being different there was no appreciable difference in finish. But if you go black, white, whatever; that may be a problem. Our place isn't finished until December (custom build), at which point we'll find out if I made a tactical error. :-)
Old 2019-10-07, 08:43 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpsmicro View Post
Sound advice from JCC for sure.

I'm pretty sure Bosch is still Bosch, but it's definitely getting much harder to figure out the players these days.

I originally wanted all-Bosch, but when you get down to it, for any given device type there appears to be a few brands better and a few worse, but it's inconsistent. Bosch isn't known for the best washers/dryers, but very well regarded for fridges, ranges and dishwashers.

We went normal stainless (no little kids anymore to worry about), but a bit of a mix'n'match on brands. In the store, despite the brands being different there was no appreciable difference in finish. But if you go black, white, whatever; that may be a problem. Our place isn't finished until December (custom build), at which point we'll find out if I made a tactical error. :-)
So my blurred lines on appliance brands these days... For us, it was a no-brainer to get a Bosch dishwasher - they're leagues ahead of basically everyone else. I'm sure your place will look AWESOME!

Quote:
Originally Posted by suezuki650 View Post
I went with the GE Slate because I liked the look of it. I have dark brown cabinetry and it looks fabulous. I didn't like the GE microwave so went with a Panasonic that I love, in black. It looks just fine as the highlights on the GE appliances are in black.
I do like the slate, too. I think that's less harsh than the black stainless, for sure