Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2018-12-06, 05:06 PM
Regular User

Biggest weakness in your plan is keeping the builders insulation.

I like to make to-scale cutouts of furniture to play with arrangements. Essential step to properly complete wiring and cat5 plans and prewires for tvs etc. Also mapping out cvac inlets.

What about small fridge and dishwasher for the island and bar area.

Potlight and light fixture plans will soon follow, with number of and location of dimmers. Best to show the ceiling bulkheads and posts at this stage on the plan.

Last edited by good2know; 2018-12-06 at 05:09 PM.
Old 2018-12-06, 09:35 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by good2know View Post
Biggest weakness in your plan is keeping the builders insulation.
^ this, from my experience.

Good luck regardless, hope you can create a thread and update as the work progresses...you'll get a lot of feedback along the way that is sure to be valuable (and having more sets of eyes is only a good thing too!)
Old 2018-12-07, 09:54 AM
Regular User

Didn't think about the cold air return relocation, thanks for pointing that out!

I have measured my basement temperature in the dead cold of winter when it got down to less than -20 degrees outside and it remains the same temperature as my 1st floor. If I replaced the builder insulation with spray foam would there be other benefits other than an increase in temperature (which I am not concerned about)? Will spray foam help with moisture? Now I gotta go home and measure the humidity level in my basement compared to the 1st and 2nd floors lol.

Last edited by electricsky; 2018-12-07 at 09:59 AM.
Old 2018-12-07, 03:13 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by electricsky View Post
Didn't think about the cold air return relocation, thanks for pointing that out!

I have measured my basement temperature in the dead cold of winter when it got down to less than -20 degrees outside and it remains the same temperature as my 1st floor. If I replaced the builder insulation with spray foam would there be other benefits other than an increase in temperature (which I am not concerned about)? Will spray foam help with moisture? Now I gotta go home and measure the humidity level in my basement compared to the 1st and 2nd floors lol.
Perhaps temperature -wise you're doing well, and kudos if so, but one of the reasons I took down all my builder insulation was so that I knew what was behind the insulation. It was important to me that I could ensure there were/are no visible cracks or issues that would cause me to have to tear things down in the future because I simply didn't know. It's a risk you have to be comfortable to take and I wasn't willing to do that so I spent additional time and money but now I feel content knowing what is behind my walls, and that it was done correctly.

Just my $.02
Old 2018-12-10, 01:53 PM
Regular User

Don't want to go off topic, but my house was 5 years old, I kept the insulation.. that was a bad move??

The way I see it, house is only 5 years old and is up to code in my case. The current insulation was mortgaged for 20 years might as well use it lol

Last edited by eastendguy; 2018-12-10 at 02:30 PM.
Old 2018-12-10, 02:36 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastendguy View Post
My house was 5 years old, I kept the insulation.. that was a bad move??

The way I see it, house is only 5 years old and is up to code in my case. The current insulation was mortgaged for 20 years might as well use it lol
Like with anything there are bad ways to do things, good ways to do things, and great ways to do things. Keeping the original insulation, if it's in good shape, is good (I would maybe rethink that if it is that bag insulation some builders use). Removing it and putting spray foam would be great. But it is fairly expensive. If the original insulation is in good shape with no signs of anything that would cause concern (like mold, or water stains, etc...) and your basement is fairly dry, then I see no reason why it couldn't be kept. Especially if you are trying to stick to a budget.
Old 2018-12-10, 05:30 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastendguy View Post
Don't want to go off topic, but my house was 5 years old, I kept the insulation.. that was a bad move??

It really depends on how long you plan on staying in the house. If your gone in less than 5 years, no need for extensive basement finishes because you'll never re-coup 100% of your upgrades.

The benefits of spray foam is undeniable, especially if:
- your basement is colder than your first floor
- you plan on living in your current house for a very long time
- if someone is living/sleeping in the basement
Old 2018-12-11, 02:45 PM
Regular User

The big issue with builder insulation methods is air leaks.

These cause temperature loss, condensation, moisture and mold. A lot of the problems wont appear until after its all behind the vapour barrier. Then the moisture gets trapped in the inside of the wall.

Removing whats there, and sealing all the leaks is a time consuming but worthwhile effort. Then the insulation can go back.

If you want to check this out, remove a couple of batts from the wall and see how musty it is behind there, and behind the black paper moisture barrier. Check how much air leakage you have at the bottom of the studs where the vapour barrier is pulled around the stud but nor sealed. Pull a couple of batts from in between the joists to check for air leakage where the wood sits on the concrete.

A foam job might be $4 to 5 k depending on size. Small incremental cost on a $50k budget.

You can save a lot of cash by not using 2 x 2 dricore panels. Use rolled membrane. Laminate or engineered hardwood can be installed on this without a subfloor.

Last edited by good2know; 2018-12-11 at 02:49 PM.