Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > General > Home Owner Tips, Upgrades and Maintenance

Home Owner Tips, Upgrades and Maintenance General information on what to do with your new home. Garden, yard, driveway, basement finishing, and everything in between.

Old 2017-06-26, 10:44 AM
Regular User

Default Popcorn to smooth ceiling

Hello,

I recently purchased a new house and it came with popcorn ceiling. I am thinking to make the ceiling smooth. I was just wondering if anyone else who have tried to do this with their ceiling can share their experience.

Thanks very much.
Old 2017-06-26, 10:46 AM
Regular User

I think to do this after you moved, it will be so messy.. I'd live with it as is.. I don;t think it affects resale value much as well.. it's a bonus
Old 2017-06-26, 11:10 AM
Regular User

I've done this at my previous location. If you have not painted the popcorn ceiling, it will come off fairly well with water (spray bottle) and a scraper. Work in small sections, wet, and then scrape it off. It's messy but doable, especially if it's a small area. You will have to spackle and sand afterwards to get a smooth ceiling, and then of course paint.

For larger areas, or ceilings that you've painted already, I'd suggest hiring someone as it's harder to get a nice smooth look and the popcorn doesn't come off as easily if it's been painted. I got someone off Kijiji to do it and it took 3 days to do a living room, dining room and hallway and cost a little over a thousand.

The larger the area, the bigger the mess. This is an ugly job even if you tarp everything and try to seal rooms.
Old 2017-06-26, 11:41 AM
Regular User

Thanks very much for your input. I have not painted the ceiling myself. It's a brand new house by Mattamy so I have to find out if they put any oil paint or anything?

I just need to do it on the 2nd floor as main floor already have smooth ceiling. All my rooms on 2nd floor (except for master bedroom) are empty (no furniture) and they are all carpet floor. So I was hoping if I can cover the walls and scrap the popcorn ceiling and just vacuum the carpet to clean the mess and later compound, prime and paint the ceiling. You think that will work or is there something else I am missing here?

Last edited by nafr1; 2017-06-26 at 11:43 AM.
Old 2017-06-26, 11:54 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by nafr1 View Post
Thanks very much for your input. I have not painted the ceiling myself. It's a brand new house by Mattamy so I have to find out if they put any oil paint or anything?

I just need to do it on the 2nd floor as main floor already have smooth ceiling. All my rooms on 2nd floor (except for master bedroom) are empty (no furniture) and they are all carpet floor. So I was hoping if I can cover the walls and scrap the popcorn ceiling and just vacuum the carpet to clean the mess and later compound, prime and paint the ceiling. You think that will work or is there something else I am missing here?
If it's brand new, then they haven't been painted. Make sure everything is well covered before you start and you should be ok. You will have to spackle in spots to get a smooth ceiling, either because you make a mark with a scraper, or to smooth out joints/screws. When builders use the popcorn, it covers more so they don't have to do as much prep work. You'll then need to prime and paint.

Start someplace small, like a closet so you can see if this is someone you want to do yourself or get someone else to do.
Old 2017-06-26, 06:08 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by suezuki650 View Post
If it's brand new, then they haven't been painted. Make sure everything is well covered before you start and you should be ok. You will have to spackle in spots to get a smooth ceiling, either because you make a mark with a scraper, or to smooth out joints/screws. When builders use the popcorn, it covers more so they don't have to do as much prep work. You'll then need to prime and paint.

Start someplace small, like a closet so you can see if this is someone you want to do yourself or get someone else to do.
A big caution. Many builders apply the stipple on bare drywall, then spray the whole thing afterwards when they spray the walls. The installer may also put paint in the stipple mix.

Imo this is not a DIY job for an entire second storey. Removing the stipple will expose all the flaws in the mud work, plus create new ones. A skim coat is difficult to do well, and sanding ceilings is not fun.

I wouldn't do this at all, unless I wasn't going to move ever.

If you go ahead, suggest you install crown at the same time. Also FYI Behr drywall primer makes a very nice ceiling finish. 2 coats. It drys smoother then ceiling paint.
Old 2017-06-26, 07:21 PM
Regular User

I would advise against this as well. The stipple hides a lot of imperfections, and it is very difficult to skim everything out perfect. A stippled ceiling typically onlu has 2 coats of mud, which is why flat ceilings are a pricey upgrade. Definitely not a dyi - on drywall project difficulty from 1 to 10, its a 10.

Most professional drywallers wont even take this on because they know they will have to charge a ton (therefore the client will be really picky), and it may not look perfect and people will complain and they will get called back.

If you really want to have flat ceilings, boarding over with 1/4 drywall and retaping from scratch will usually give a better result. I say its not worth it.
Old 2017-06-26, 08:55 PM
Regular User

As I said, I had a whole main floor of a house done for just over a thousand and in my mind it was money well spent. I got quotes from companies that wanted to put another layer of thin drywall, but those quotes were higher. The cost included removing the stiple, skim coat, sand, skim, sand, primer, and two coats of paint. What I didn't say in my last message is that I also ended up re-painting my walls at the same time as the edges needed work.

It would have killed my shoulders and I wouldn't have had as good a job done. I did our laundry room and that was enough for me.
Old 2017-06-28, 09:21 AM
Regular User

Thank you very much guys for all your responses. After reading your views, I have decided to leave the popcorn ceiling as is and not to go with this project
Old 2017-06-28, 12:45 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by nafr1 View Post
Thank you very much guys for all your responses. After reading your views, I have decided to leave the popcorn ceiling as is and not to go with this project
I have popcorn ceiling on both floors and, unless I look for it, I don't see (meaning notice) it anyway. Popcorn ceiling is also called acoustic ceiling. It is not all that bad. :-)