Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > General > Home Owner Tips, Upgrades and Maintenance

Home Owner Tips, Upgrades and Maintenance General information on what to do with your new home. Garden, yard, driveway, basement finishing, and everything in between.

Old 2010-12-07, 03:41 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianT View Post
I think everybody has that same one including me. But I prefer this one because it tells you the highs and lows for both temperature and humidity. I got mine from Lowes and it's about the same price.

Awesome, I'll have to pick that up.

I got a nice one for the main floor at WalMart of all places that has an exterior unit to measure exterior temperature as well.

Old 2010-12-09, 02:34 PM
Regular User

i set my central humidifer to about 42% last night, house was at 35% according to thermostat and 3 other hygrometers i have scattered throughout the house

i woke up this morning, top floor was at 40%, bottom floor,i had the thermostat and 2 other hygrometers say 38% but the windows had lots of moisture on them at the bottom, so i dialed it back to 36% but this seems so low

any suggestions? i should be aiming for almost no moisture on the windows?
Old 2010-12-09, 03:18 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by robmack View Post
i set my central humidifer to about 42% last night, house was at 35% according to thermostat and 3 other hygrometers i have scattered throughout the house

i woke up this morning, top floor was at 40%, bottom floor,i had the thermostat and 2 other hygrometers say 38% but the windows had lots of moisture on them at the bottom, so i dialed it back to 36% but this seems so low

any suggestions? i should be aiming for almost no moisture on the windows?
I would like to know as well as I noticed a bit of moisture on my windows as well. Reading this link, http://www.mcleodwindows.com/condensation.php, from another thread on humidity, it says that these are the causes of moisture on the windows.

- Abnormally high humidity
- Lower thermostat setting at night
- Sudden change to colder weather
- Poor air circulation

I'm going to try raising the temperature overnight and seeing what happens. For me, it's set it at 19 degrees overnight and 22 starting at 5:00 am. I'm thinking that sudden change in temperature is causing the moisture. My humidity was about 35% this morning.

Here's the link to the other humidity thread. http://www.buildinghomes.ca/communit...light=humidity
Moved In: April 10th 2010
Old 2010-12-09, 04:23 PM
Regular User

i have mine set to 22 degrees all the time, still had the condensation, please let me know if you come up with anything
Old 2010-12-09, 08:08 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianT View Post
I'm going to try raising the temperature overnight and seeing what happens. For me, it's set it at 19 degrees overnight and 22 starting at 5:00 am. I'm thinking that sudden change in temperature is causing the moisture.
If you have a whole house humidifier attached to the furnace, raising the overnight temp will likely make the window condensation worse, not better. You're asking the furnace to run longer at night which causes the humidifier to run more often and introduce more humidity into the air.

Unfortunately, the only solution when the outdoor temp drops this much is to lower the setting of the humidifier or turn it off for a day.

These are the manufacturers recommended settings vs outdoor temp. You can do the conversion to C.
Attached Images
File Type: gif aprilaire_humidistat_manual_vs_automatic_r4_c2.gif (8.8 KB, 76 views)

Last edited by Mark & Lynda; 2010-12-09 at 08:10 PM.
Old 2010-12-10, 12:03 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark & Lynda View Post
If you have a whole house humidifier attached to the furnace, raising the overnight temp will likely make the window condensation worse, not better. You're asking the furnace to run longer at night which causes the humidifier to run more often and introduce more humidity into the air.

Unfortunately, the only solution when the outdoor temp drops this much is to lower the setting of the humidifier or turn it off for a day.

These are the manufacturers recommended settings vs outdoor temp. You can do the conversion to C.
No, I just have one of those portable ones and it is off right now. Should I set my HRV to max?
Old 2010-12-10, 12:23 AM
Regular User

I am going to try changing my blinds/curtains so that there's air flow between the top and bottom as seen here. Hopefully I can reduce some of the sweating.

http://oee.nrcan.gc.ca/publications/...on5.cfm?attr=4
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	blinds.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	112.2 KB
ID:	7331  

--------------------------------------------
http://www.youtube.com/funrabbits

http://sunburstmirror.blogspot.com

Pictures from Model Homes:
http://www.buildinghomes.ca/communit...ead.php?t=6930

CBC Marketplace show on Spray Foam
http://www.cbc.ca/news/spray-foam-in...able-1.2224287
Old 2010-12-10, 11:12 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by waikiki View Post
I am going to try changing my blinds/curtains so that there's air flow between the top and bottom as seen here. Hopefully I can reduce some of the sweating.

http://oee.nrcan.gc.ca/publications/...on5.cfm?attr=4
I have four windows with no window coverings and they look just like the other windows. Turning my humidifier off dropped the humidity on my main level to about 28% and upstairs is still about 35%. HRV on max did nothing as well.
Old 2010-12-11, 12:56 AM
Regular User

I have two uncover windows that are condensation-free. All the other windows are full of condensation because of the blinds. At night I pull up my blinds an inch so my blinds are dripping wet in the morning. Anyone try rubbing some shaving cream on the window? I heard it prevents condensation, but you have to apply it every week. I'm going to try it on Sunday because next week is going to be freezing cold.
Old 2010-12-11, 01:19 PM
Regular User

Thumbs up

There was no condensation on my windows this morning. I think the humidity levels have evened out because I'm at about 30% on both floors.