Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > General > Home Owner Tips, Upgrades and Maintenance

Home Owner Tips, Upgrades and Maintenance General information on what to do with your new home. Garden, yard, driveway, basement finishing, and everything in between.

Old 2019-12-12, 10:24 AM
Regular User

Default What happens during ESA inspections?

Hello all, for those who have gotten ESA certificates for their home electrical work, can you describe the process? Their website is very vague about that. For example, what to expect during the rough-in inspection, etc? Thanks!
Old 2019-12-12, 06:41 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by royc View Post
Hello all, for those who have gotten ESA certificates for their home electrical work, can you describe the process? Their website is very vague about that. For example, what to expect during the rough-in inspection, etc? Thanks!
They do say on their website more or less what they expect. Are you renovating a basement?

https://www.esasafe.com/faq-esasafe/faqs#rough

Last edited by gerapau; 2019-12-12 at 06:43 PM.
Old 2019-12-16, 04:38 PM
Regular User

Thanks a lot gerapau, that was what I was looking for! Yes I am finishing my basement. Can I ask you to clarify bullets# 3,4,5 on that list? Do they mean:

- After bringing the wires into the outlet box, clamp them, and strip the outer jacket
- Twist all grounding wires together and connect to grounding screw (?)
- Twist all neutral whites together with marrette
- Keep the black wires as is, or strip them 1/2 inch for later connection?

Do I need to do all the above for rough-in, or only part of them?

Thanks again,
Roy.
Old 2019-12-18, 09:14 PM
Regular User

For the rough-in you basically have to finish everything to the point where they are ready to install the switches, outlets and lights without actually installing them. So yes, the black or hot wire should be stripped and ready to install the switch, outlet or light. The rest of your points are correct.

You could contact the ESA to see what your inspector expects. I live in Ottawa and the last inspector I had expected the above plus the following: make sure you have your home runs done back to the main panel but not hooked up. If you need to move your furnace switch (more than likely you do) then that should be completed and hooked up in the new spot. Any existing lights which will ultimately be removed and covered by drywall need to be removed for the rough-in.
Old 2019-12-20, 10:27 AM
Regular User

Thanks gerapau. I live in Ottawa too, so I will proceed as discussed.
Old 2020-01-06, 09:19 AM
Regular User

So I had my rough-in inspection on Friday, was as painless as I hoped it would be. Very friendly and helpful gent, could not ask for a better inspector. Here are the main things he looked at:

1) Furnace switch moved to new location within utility room
2) If using Iberville gangable boxes to create 2-gang or more boxes, they should be supported at both ends with studs. In other words, one side should be nailed into the framing stud as usual. The other end of the gangable boxes, should have a piece of 2x4 attached to it, and drywall should screw into that stud also, to provide support on both ends.

3) He did not ask for the existing lights to be disconnected. That was a relief, as I hadnt done it

That was it! Let me know if you need any clarifications.