Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > General > Home Owner Tips, Upgrades and Maintenance

Home Owner Tips, Upgrades and Maintenance General information on what to do with your new home. Garden, yard, driveway, basement finishing, and everything in between.

Old 2019-12-20, 10:32 AM
Regular User

Default Major air leak and ice formation inside and outside fireplace

Hello all, my fireplace has a lot of freezing outside air flowing in for the last week or so. It has also started getting ice formation inside and outside the fireplace (see attached picture). When I stand in front of the fireplace, I can feel a draft of freezing air coming from the outside. Can someone please advise? Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191219_222753.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	695.3 KB
ID:	14727  
Old 2019-12-20, 11:12 AM
Administrator

Advice is to call the builder.
Doesn't look like the insulated and vapoured the insert cavity.
For Your Home - For Your Condo - For Your Office

http://www.phand.ca/
Old 2019-12-20, 08:38 PM
Regular User

Is the pilot light on? We were told by the builder that during the winter we needed to have the pilot light on to keep the cold air from coming in through the exhaust.
Old 2020-01-24, 01:30 PM
Regular User

As Greg suggested - it is very likely that the fireplace / fireplace venting is not installed properly with proper insulation.

True - lots of gas fireplaces are set up with the pilot flame on all the time but many are set up with electronic ignition so that the pilot only ignites when the switch for the fireplace is turned on. Electronic ignition gas fireplaces are more efficient because the pilot is not on 24/7 thus wasting gas.

Some gas fireplaces can be set up both ways.

This insulation is NOT correct.
Old 2020-01-24, 01:50 PM
Regular User

My apologies - I should have posted an update on the status. I checked the furnace and noticed that the glass pane on the front was loose. The bottom two clips were not connected, and so there was a big gap between the bottom of the pane and the furnace. As a result, the cold air from the outside was mixing with the warm air from inside the house, causing the condensation. Once I fixed the clips, the condensation went away.

Thanks everyone for your advice.