Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2020-09-11, 04:19 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by OttawaC View Post
Your lawyer is your best option for advice.

My understanding is that while COVID has temporarily suspended the normal reporting requirements, builders are still suppose to be providing adequate notice. Your builder not being able to hire workers is certainly a concern as it not only raises alarm bells regarding your closing date but also to the quality of the home when finished.

With experiences like yours, it certainly makes you wonder why people are still continuing to buy so many new builds during the pandemic. We don't know when the emergency orders will end and it is literally the roll of the dice now when any of these new builds will be completed.
I am concerned about quality as well. I plan to hire an inspector of course to go through the place. Do you have any other suggestions to really check quality? this has been a very stressful acquisition for me. Of course this was purchased over a year ago before any thought of a pandemic existed.
Old 2020-09-12, 12:25 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by xanderii View Post
I am concerned about quality as well. I plan to hire an inspector of course to go through the place. Do you have any other suggestions to really check quality? this has been a very stressful acquisition for me. Of course this was purchased over a year ago before any thought of a pandemic existed.
Hiring an inspector is a great idea. I also think you should pay attention to other threads on this site regarding your builder. It will provide you with some insight into what to look out for. hint: windows.

Having bought 3 new builds myself, here is what I have learned. When buying a new build home the homeowner should expect a home that is delivered in great condition and free from any noticeable deficiencies. Unfortunately, in ON, very few builders will deliver a new home without deficiencies.

I believe that you should note every deficiency and work toward having these deficiencies addressed. You need to understand though that addressing deficiencies after you take possession entails multiple appointments to let numerous people into your home. Depending on your personal circumstances this may mean taking lots of time off work to allow the workers access to your home.

You should also be prepared that some of these appointments will be missed and no-shows. It can be a very frustrating and long experience trying to work with the warranty program and address the deficiencies.

I don't know what you can expect in this regard with regard to COVID, but I can tell you that in a previous new build I eventually prioritized what I actually wanted fixed and what I was willing to do myself after.
Old 2020-09-12, 06:57 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by OttawaC View Post
Hiring an inspector is a great idea. I also think you should pay attention to other threads on this site regarding your builder. It will provide you with some insight into what to look out for. hint: windows.

Having bought 3 new builds myself, here is what I have learned. When buying a new build home the homeowner should expect a home that is delivered in great condition and free from any noticeable deficiencies. Unfortunately, in ON, very few builders will deliver a new home without deficiencies.

I believe that you should note every deficiency and work toward having these deficiencies addressed. You need to understand though that addressing deficiencies after you take possession entails multiple appointments to let numerous people into your home. Depending on your personal circumstances this may mean taking lots of time off work to allow the workers access to your home.

You should also be prepared that some of these appointments will be missed and no-shows. It can be a very frustrating and long experience trying to work with the warranty program and address the deficiencies.

I don't know what you can expect in this regard with regard to COVID, but I can tell you that in a previous new build I eventually prioritized what I actually wanted fixed and what I was willing to do myself after.

Thank you Ottawa C for the great advice. I actually do work from home full time. So that portion will make my life easier.

I am going to pay attention to this thread and look out for other people's experiences.
Old 2020-09-17, 07:19 PM
Regular User

The response from Tarion, is the builder makes the rules now and has free reign to do whatever it needs to. It looks like I'l be living in my car for a bit of time
this winter :-(