Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2020-10-06, 11:39 AM
Regular User

I think with the laundry room upstairs, they have to also reinforce the ceiling joists underneath for the extra weight and the vibrations so yeah do it before.
Moved In: April 10th 2010
Old 2020-10-06, 09:25 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick10 View Post
I think they will do that at the place of washer/dryer in mudroom section.So that den entrance would be independant. Powder room will be in L shape. I have not got the plan yet.

I will probably keep laundry downstair as spouse doesn't want to loose WIC space. I was thinking about moving laundry upstairs just for the reason of convenience.
The challenge with that area of the plan is that there isn't a door separating it from the rest of the house. It appears that the laundry area is completely open, not even enclosed in a deep closet. The result is that the noise from the laundry will be easily heard throughout the first floor.
Old 2020-10-07, 10:38 AM
Regular User

Coincidentally, my neighbors just moved their laundry room from the basement to the 2nd floor for convenient reason. Lots of us dread the spin noise, but I suppose if you have a big family, running 3 floors carry baskets of cloth isn't that fun.
Old 2020-10-07, 11:44 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by haivi View Post
Coincidentally, my neighbors just moved their laundry room from the basement to the 2nd floor for convenient reason. Lots of us dread the spin noise, but I suppose if you have a big family, running 3 floors carry baskets of cloth isn't that fun.
I think it depends on whether you get front load or not and if you do go with front load that they're perfectly level (even then there still could be issues, see below).

In a previous house, we had main floor laundry and upgraded to front load units. Despite being balanced, the spin cycle caused quite a bit of commotion in the house. Luckily, our furnace room was directly below so I had access to the ceiling. I put 2x6 braces between the joists and then screwed some 1/2" ply across all the joists that were beneath the laundry units. Made a world of difference.

Our last house had second floor laundry and came with front load units. There was some vibration but not bad. We then switched to larger top-load units and no issues.

Our rental that we just moved out of had second floor laundry and front load units. Despite being level, the spin cycle shoot the whole house.

Fast forward to now in our new Caivan home, we upgraded to have the laundry on the second floor. They insulated the walls but not sure if there was additional reinforcement for the joists. We went with Samsung top load units and you can even tell when the units are running. Super quiet.

Chad
Old 2020-10-08, 08:37 PM
Regular User

Yeah that's what happens with us. Ours (front load) are on the main floor and balance. But if we run the machines at high speed cycle, the whole laundry floor vibrates. Scare the heck out of me, and I don't think it is good for the house in the long term. To mitigate this, we only run at the medium speed cycle.
Old 2020-10-13, 09:56 AM
Regular User

My main aim was to have convenience. but its not a big deal for us.

From above posts it seems like better to have laundry either on Main or Basement floor?

Why does builder charge this as a upgrade ? Older homes used to have laundry in basement , in recent years it starts coming upstairs as a upgrade or standard feature in some of the builders.

Regarding flooring,
Is there any drawback in installing flooring after closing but before move-in?
Some of my colleagues mentioned me that - "it would void tarion warranty and builder wont respect 1 year claims if something goes wrong because of flooring. Also there is some humidity factor needs to be taken into consideration while moving from default carpet to wood flooring. If external contractor mess that up then there are chances of potential issues in future."

I am not sure how much of this really is a concern.
Old 2020-10-13, 03:51 PM
Regular User

Quote:

From above posts it seems like better to have laundry either on Main or Basement floor?

Why does builder charge this as a upgrade ? Older homes used to have laundry in basement , in recent years it starts coming upstairs as a upgrade or standard feature in some of the builders.

Regarding flooring,
Is there any drawback in installing flooring after closing but before move-in?
Some of my colleagues mentioned me that - "it would void tarion warranty and builder wont respect 1 year claims if something goes wrong because of flooring. Also there is some humidity factor needs to be taken into consideration while moving from default carpet to wood flooring. If external contractor mess that up then there are chances of potential issues in future."

I am not sure how much of this really is a concern.
For the flooring, it really depends on where you wish to install it. If it is in the kitchen, it may be an issue as usually floors are installed before the bottom cabinets are installed. If you run the flooring in the appliance locations, you effectively change the rough dimensions of the appliance openings. This may be a challenge for your dishwasher and depending on your stove, it may not sit flush with your counter. If you don't run the flooring in the appliance openings, you will have different floor levels and will have issues moving the appliances later.

With regard to warranty issues, obviously the builder has no obligation to warranty any item that you did not purchase through them. It would not void the entire Tarion home warranty, but it can create some sticky situations should warranty items arise. For instance, if the builder installs carpet and you then replace it with hardwood and six months in the floor develops lots of squeaking, the builder will not likely pay to remove and reinstall the hardwood to repair the squeaky floor. The builder could also argue that the squeaks were caused by a poor install of the hardwood and not cover it at all.

If you are concerned at all about the warranty then the best advice is to simply wait for the 1 year warranty process to be completed and then complete the install.
Old 2020-10-13, 03:57 PM
Regular User

Quote:

I think most home inspectors will tell you the best place for the laundry is in the basement on an exterior wall. The exterior wall allows for the shortest run for the dryer vent. In our last house the laundry room was in the centre of the second floor and our inspector advised up to keep a close eye on the dryer vent due to lint build up. The driver vent ran under our walk in closet and across the entire width of our principal bedroom to the outside of the house. Lint, he warned us, will build up in that long of a run.

The washer should be in the basement in the case of leaks where it will potentially do as little harm as possible. Assuming it is installed next to a floor drain.

In the basement is also great for noise. Today's washers and dryers are noisy and when installed on the first or second floor the noise can be heard throughout the home unless sound deadening actions are take. Most people like the laundry on the second floor as that is where the bedrooms are and where most of the clothing is so you don't have the chore of lugging large baskets to clothes down stairs to the laundry.

Convenience vs practicality.
Old 2020-10-17, 12:25 PM
Regular User

Quote:

I only looked at plans with the laundry on the bedroom floor. In my last house, laundry was on the main floor but you still had to haul laundry up one floor. For me, it was an 'age in place' reason. I'll be able to go up and down stairs way longer than I'll be able to do it carrying a load of laundry.

I got an insulated door for the laundry room and barely hear it.

Older homes used to have only one bathroom and we got over that easily enough