Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2020-05-26, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cl_utch View Post
No official delay notices on my end. We are slated to move in mid-November. My house is situated pretty close to the corner and therefore, I assume that they would try and finish the ones closer to the roads before making their way into the subdivision. I have my final design appointment on Tuesday, might find out more then and will keep you posted if I uncover anything new.
Hello future neighbor, we are slated to move in by November as well, and our house is very close to the corner we received an email earlier this month saying construction of our home has begun. Please if you don't mind sharing, I'm curious to find out how your virtual appoint experience was, as we are still waiting for our Framing/design appointment to be scheduled.

Thanks
Old 2020-05-28, 01:57 PM

Hello future neighbours!

We have a Fraser and our move in date is Oct 20 (obviously that might change) we’re still in the middle of our framing appointments, it has been pretty easy doing it virtually, we did get a chance to go into the design Center for stair stains. Drove by 2 days ago and there are some homes already going up so that’s exciting.

Anyone else bought a Fraser?
Old 2020-05-31, 08:33 PM
Regular User

Hey future neighbours, I fortunately have not had any virtual appointments. My framing was done prior to Covid in February, and have finalized on my design options this past Monday. It was a surreal experience, I went into the Design Centre and was met by my consultant. We then proceeded to hammer out the details behind a man-made plexiglass barrier. All-in-all, I believe it was better than having to choose options virtually as I was able to switch out a couple selections and see them in person. The concrete footings/foundation have been poured for my lot, so it's just a matter of time before the framing goes up. Hope this helps!
Old 2020-06-02, 02:11 AM

anyone know how framing and finishing appointments were scheduled? i would assume they would be set up according to delivery dates but im noticing those with delivery dates after ours are actually done their appointments. We weren't even called for our appointments, i had to call and email harassing them weekly to finally get an appointment and that wasnt until april.
At this rate without even finalizing on framing (for some reason our designer is waiting on kitchen specs before she can proceed) it doesnt look like we'll be moving in 2020 at all.
Old 2020-06-09, 03:04 PM

Stairs and railings. We have our final appointment scheduled for the end of the month and my husband and I keep coming back to the railing package we selected. We selected the black metal spindles and it’s a level 4 for $4k! I think it’s just too much for railings, anyone know if it’s a job we can get done later for less? Or should we just get what’s offered and carry on?
Old 2020-06-14, 02:09 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahogany2020 View Post
Stairs and railings. We have our final appointment scheduled for the end of the month and my husband and I keep coming back to the railing package we selected. We selected the black metal spindles and itís a level 4 for $4k! I think itís just too much for railings, anyone know if itís a job we can get done later for less? Or should we just get whatís offered and carry on?
Personally, I moved forward with upgrading the railings with the builder because I have other fish I want to fry when I move in. I went with the stainless steel option (level 3, I believe) throughout including the open to the basement staircase. The stair unit as a whole definitely cost a pretty penny.

Drove by the area yesterday and a number of homes have now had their foundation poured. They were putting up frames for a couple houses near the corner.. mine included.

Still havenít received an official delay notice, so as far as Iím concerned the house is still on time for scheduled delivery date.

Cheers!
Old 2020-06-19, 11:42 AM
Regular User

Default AC unit pricing

Hi all,

my schedule closing date is Sept 24th, but like the rest of you, I have heard nothing concrete and am fully expecting this to be moved out by months...(2-3 max hopefully but I have no idea). I can now see that they have started my home (just footings though) and have no idea how much COVID will slow down the build process.

I have finished my framing appointments and have my first 30 minute finishing appointment this afternoon(virtual) and 3 hour design centre appointment on monday to make all the final selections.

One question I have for you is concerning AC. I believe I was quoted $3900 for a 2.5 ton AC unit for my home by Minto. Does anyone know if this is a fair price. I am okay paying the extra couple hundred seeing as it would go on my mortgage however if I can do this after the fact for less than $3400 then it may be worth waiting seeing as I won't even need AC until next summer. Any thoughts or HVAC experience out there?
Old 2020-07-03, 10:17 AM
Regular User

Hey all,

Drove around the neighbourhood again, and they have framed up to the 2nd floor of my house which is scheduled for a mid-November close. I am unsure about their rhyme and rhythm as to which homes will get completed first. It seems as though they are not going according to delivery date, since my home seems to be further along than those who are due sooner.

As for the price of AC, I believe it's about the going price that most builders charge to install theirs. They use higher end units so you will see them going for more than brands like Goodman etc.

I personally delayed on installing mine with the builder and will get it done afterwards. Since I'm moving in in the winter, there's no rush.

Best,
Dee
Old 2020-07-03, 12:15 PM
Regular User

Default Delayed

I spoke with our community coordinator and she couldn't tell me definite details but I did get out of her that our closing date, originally scheduled for September 24th, will definitely be pushed into 2021. I was not expecting that. I was think November or December at the latest. I'm really hoping she means January but at this point, who knows...

She did tell me that everyone will be notified of delays 2 months in advance of their original closing date.

She said that this is all related to covid. I do mostly believe her however i also know for a fact that minto was behind on this development and they will blame it on covid. Not much we can do about that unfortunately.
Old 2020-07-03, 01:29 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by homers View Post
I spoke with our community coordinator and she couldn't tell me definite details but I did get out of her that our closing date, originally scheduled for September 24th, will definitely be pushed into 2021. I was not expecting that. I was think November or December at the latest. I'm really hoping she means January but at this point, who knows...

She did tell me that everyone will be notified of delays 2 months in advance of their original closing date.

She said that this is all related to covid. I do mostly believe her however i also know for a fact that minto was behind on this development and they will blame it on covid. Not much we can do about that unfortunately.

Oh wow!! That is definitely unexpected.. I wonder if it would be worthwhile to speak to her as well? I could also just wait until September.. because that'd be two months prior to original closing date.

With covid, how does it work for the delayed notices now? Are builder not responsible to give adequate notices anymore? I believe that the Tarion fines have been pardoned for the time being.. right?