Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > General > Building and Construction

Building and Construction General topics of building a home and the home construction industry.

Old 2020-07-02, 12:49 PM

Default Kitchen cabinets uneven doors

Hi,

I'm going to have PDI soon for my new home. So far I noticed an issue with one of the bottom cabinets. As you can see in the photo the bottom doors are uneven in width. When I raised it they said, the cabinet sizes go by 3" increments, so when they increased the fridge opening by 3" and because of increment limit they couldn't reduce door width evenly by 1.5" and only reduced it on one door by 3". I will quote them:
"The wall cabinet left of the fridge is a single box with a double door. The base cabinet left of the fridge is a single door cabinet and the far left base door is the blind corner cabinet. They aren’t symmetrical. The variation in size can happen when the cabinetry standard of 3” increments is not evenly divisible with the wall space available."

Also those doors in the photo are not part of the same cabinet, but it looks really weird to me. Any opinion on this, should I report the issue during the PDI?

Photo https://ibb.co/P63d9d9

Thanks
Old 2020-07-02, 07:53 PM
Regular User

I understand what they're saying. The wall cabinet above is 1 cabinet with a double door while the base cabinets are split into two separate cabinets. It cannot be 1 large cabinet due to the blind corner and the single cabinet to the left of the fridge opening comes in set standard sizes. They don't make custom sized cabinet boxes for builder homes. You'd have to build a custom kitchen.

Honestly looks fine to me. I highly doubt they will do anything for you.
Old 2020-07-03, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark & Lynda View Post
I understand what they're saying. The wall cabinet above is 1 cabinet with a double door while the base cabinets are split into two separate cabinets. It cannot be 1 large cabinet due to the blind corner and the single cabinet to the left of the fridge opening comes in set standard sizes. They don't make custom sized cabinet boxes for builder homes. You'd have to build a custom kitchen.

Honestly looks fine to me. I highly doubt they will do anything for you.
Thank you. I know it's not a big deal, but in the initial drawing it looked like this
https://ibb.co/fnpDSr0

Doors looked equal, no one told me anything about such kind of thing coming. Do you think reporting anything in PDI will not help at all?
Old 2020-07-03, 11:09 AM

I think more I think it more makes sense to take it as is. Thanks
Old 2020-07-03, 06:16 PM
Regular User

I would leave it as is as well. The wider cabinet might come in handy for storing larger items.
Moved In: April 10th 2010
Old 2020-07-07, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianT View Post
I would leave it as is as well. The wider cabinet might come in handy for storing larger items.
Thanks a lot