Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2020-09-11, 12:54 AM
Regular User

Default Need some helpful advice.

Last year I purchased a new home that was due to be ready in the spring. It got delayed until The summer then now the fall. Of course covid caused issues of uncertainty so we were without a new date for the longest time.

We got a new date last month for early November 5th.

I got my lease extended until November 30 and im paying an extra month expenses out of pocket.

I tried to get the builder to confirm the closing, but they told me they won't be able to until a few weeks before. they are having issues hiring workers

I don't know what to do. I am not mad with the builder because the pandemic has been hard on everyone. but I can't afford to pay rent a few more months and then winding up having to close on nov 5th.

It may already be to late to extend my lease.

I figured with the 90 day notices I can work with that, but with notices in terms of weeks. it's really impossible. This delay has already cost me between 4-6 thousand. I feel my hands are tied because of the pandemic.Can anyone offer any advice on how I can handle this please
Old 2020-09-11, 07:41 AM
Regular User

Sorry to hear about your situation. It's my understanding that most builders are back on track but I am not familiar with what's going on in your area.

Go to "Tarion's Response to COVID 19" webpage here -

https://www.tarion.com/news/64045/ta...ponse-covid-19

The first link in the "General Advisories" section should answer some of your questions. The rear issue is whether or not the builder is handling the delays properly.
Old 2020-09-11, 08:39 AM
Regular User

thank you for this, i have read this but it's very unclear on how I can proceed.

Am I able to ask the builder to push the closing date? They seem reluctant to want to do it, and at the same time. I think I need to ensure I have a place to live. Can I have penalties for such a request. Will my warranty period only start after I move in?
Old 2020-09-11, 08:45 AM
Regular User

I would suggest speaking to the lawyer handling your closing for advice.
Old 2020-09-11, 09:45 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by xanderii View Post

Am I able to ask the builder to push the closing date? They seem reluctant to want to do it, and at the same time. I think I need to ensure I have a place to live. Can I have penalties for such a request. Will my warranty period only start after I move in?
Probably as stated above - talk to your lawyer, is the best advice.

You may want to clarify with Tarion as well. Technically you are not covered under Tarion until you take possession but they should be able to give you some advice.
Old 2020-09-11, 10:19 AM
Regular User

I sent the lawyer a message. thank you
Old 2020-09-11, 10:49 AM
Regular User

No advice, but I find the situation very unscrupulous.

Sure, push closing dates because of the pandemic, but to not give buyers 90 days notice? How are we supposed to sell our old homes or give notice on our rentals?

It's like Builders can make their own rules and Tarion lets them.
Old 2020-09-11, 03:32 PM

I'm worried about being in the same boat - we were originally planning on giving our 60 day notice for our current rental at the end of September for our original date of Nov 12, however our builder (Valecraft) won't confirm whether or not we will be delayed. They just say "Maybe". I'm fine if it's delayed, I just need to know!

I asked our lawyer if there's anything that can be done and he responded with:

"Unfortunately with the pandemic, it pretty much gives the builder the discretion to push the closing back based on the unavoidable delay clause. I would suggest you make it known to the builder your situation and hopefully they show some compassion. But we are seeing the same thing across all builders."

If you find a method that works, please let us know!

Last edited by Gronfors; 2020-09-11 at 03:34 PM.
Old 2020-09-11, 03:33 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by xanderii View Post
I sent the lawyer a message. thank you
Your lawyer is your best option for advice.

My understanding is that while COVID has temporarily suspended the normal reporting requirements, builders are still suppose to be providing adequate notice. Your builder not being able to hire workers is certainly a concern as it not only raises alarm bells regarding your closing date but also to the quality of the home when finished.

With experiences like yours, it certainly makes you wonder why people are still continuing to buy so many new builds during the pandemic. We don't know when the emergency orders will end and it is literally the roll of the dice now when any of these new builds will be completed.
Old 2020-09-11, 03:35 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gronfors View Post
I'm worried about being in the same boat - we were originally planning on giving our 60 day notice for our current rental at the end of September for our original date of Nov 12, however our builder (Valecraft) won't confirm whether or not we will be delayed. They just say "Maybe". I'm fine if it's delayed, I just need to know!

I asked our lawyer if there's anything that can be done and he advised, in better terms, that we are **** out of luck.

If you find a method that works, please let us know!
Wow. Talk about being stuck between a rock and a hard place. At this point the builder should be able to confirm the closing date - if not, delay it and be done with it.