Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2020-10-04, 09:43 PM
Regular User

Default Crazy Builder upgrade pricing

Builder is charging me
1. To move laundry upstairs = $2400
2. To make full shower in powder room = $3000
3. LVT flooring on main level = $10400

What do you guys think how much it would cost to to make these changes later?
Is it advisable or good idea to move laundry upstairs or shower in powder room later after closing?

LVT just seems super expensive to do it from builder. Will there be any warranty issue if i do it later?
Old 2020-10-05, 08:28 AM
Regular User

I'm assuming that to move the laundry upstairs that the builder has to reconfigure an area upstairs to accommodate it. That price seems reasonable. To install a shower in the half bath where I assume the laundry was also means some reconfiguration and adding a door. That price also seems reasonable to me, depending on the type of shower being installed. If you want a tiled shower and seamless glass doors I would expect the price to be much higher.

As for LVT on the main level, at that price I would be pricing engineered hardwood unless there is a specific reason you want LVT.
Old 2020-10-05, 08:39 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by OttawaC View Post
I'm assuming that to move the laundry upstairs that the builder has to reconfigure an area upstairs to accommodate it. That price seems reasonable. To install a shower in the half bath where I assume the laundry was also means some reconfiguration and adding a door. That price also seems reasonable to me, depending on the type of shower being installed. If you want a tiled shower and seamless glass doors I would expect the price to be much higher.

As for LVT on the main level, at that price I would be pricing engineered hardwood unless there is a specific reason you want LVT.
Can the moving laundry or shower in powder room would be more expensive to do it later from external contractor than builder pricing?

LVT because of its sturdiness and having pet at home. In Current house we have Hardwood and it gets scratched a lot. Hardwood will go upto 13-14K.
Would there be any warranty issue if i decide to do it later? I heard some humidity issue needs to take care of while changing from carpet to wood/lvt flooring. Not sure what is that...
Old 2020-10-05, 11:29 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick10 View Post
Can the moving laundry or shower in powder room would be more expensive to do it later from external contractor than builder pricing?
I'll say yes. It's not only the amount of money you need to compare. The 2 areas you want to change (shower and laundry) are to be made watertight. They have a layer under the floor which will prevent water from leaking through the floor and flooding the house. The tiles+grout only are not watertight. I wanted to make my whole ensuite watertight and put an additional floor drain in it and the price offered to me by the builder was comparable with yours. In your case you also have the cold and hot water and backwater pipes moved/added to the new locations. I can't imagine this work done later even if the price is lower - they have to open walls, floors and ceilings to add the new lines.

Regards!
Old 2020-10-05, 12:03 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick10 View Post

LVT because of its sturdiness and having pet at home. In Current house we have Hardwood and it gets scratched a lot. Hardwood will go upto 13-14K.
Would there be any warranty issue if i decide to do it later? I heard some humidity issue needs to take care of while changing from carpet to wood/lvt flooring. Not sure what is that...
From a previous post, I gather that you have the Madison model. After looking at the floorpan, I assume that you intend to make the master walk in closet smaller to accommodate a laundry area. Is this correct? If so, this will not be cheaper to do after closing. The challenge after closing will be installing water supply lines for the washer and the dryer venting to the outside.

Regarding the powder room, installing a shower will easily cost you more than $3000 after closing. The floor and walls have to be opened up to install the water lines and drains and only then can you have a shower installed. Even an acrylic shower kit I would think will cost you more than $3000. FWIW: 13 years ago we have a neo-angle shower removed from our ensuite and replaced with a 4'x3' shower with frameless doors and tile surround that involved tearing up the floor, changing the drain that was already there and removing a bulkhead in the ceiling and that was over $7000.

I've looked at the floor plan and am just wondering where you are planning to put the door to the powder room after you install a shower? If you install it across from the closet then you are creating a situation where the office/den is off a bathroom. You have to go through a bathroom to get to the den.
Old 2020-10-06, 09:27 AM
Regular User

I will add another vote to do the first 2 items now, even if you can get it slightly cheaper later. You don't want to deal with the mess after having moved in.
Old 2020-10-06, 09:38 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by OttawaC View Post
From a previous post, I gather that you have the Madison model. After looking at the floorpan, I assume that you intend to make the master walk in closet smaller to accommodate a laundry area. Is this correct? If so, this will not be cheaper to do after closing. The challenge after closing will be installing water supply lines for the washer and the dryer venting to the outside.

yeah they proposed a same option as reducing master closet which again i dont feel like doing it but i guess there is not a another option.

Regarding the powder room, installing a shower will easily cost you more than $3000 after closing. The floor and walls have to be opened up to install the water lines and drains and only then can you have a shower installed. Even an acrylic shower kit I would think will cost you more than $3000. FWIW: 13 years ago we have a neo-angle shower removed from our ensuite and replaced with a 4'x3' shower with frameless doors and tile surround that involved tearing up the floor, changing the drain that was already there and removing a bulkhead in the ceiling and that was over $7000.

I've looked at the floor plan and am just wondering where you are planning to put the door to the powder room after you install a shower? If you install it across from the closet then you are creating a situation where the office/den is off a bathroom. You have to go through a bathroom to get to the den.
I think they will do that at the place of washer/dryer in mudroom section.So that den entrance would be independant. Powder room will be in L shape. I have not got the plan yet.

I will probably keep laundry downstair as spouse doesn't want to loose WIC space. I was thinking about moving laundry upstairs just for the reason of convenience.
Old 2020-10-06, 10:04 AM

Have you looked into the possibility of a laundry chute?
Old 2020-10-06, 10:14 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gronfors View Post
Have you looked into the possibility of a laundry chute?
No. I have not heard about it. Whats that? How much does it cost usually? I did not see that option in builder standard list.
Looks like similar idea of garbage chute in condo building...
Old 2020-10-06, 10:19 AM

I'm not sure if it's an option builders would offer and I haven't looked into it for ourselves, but yes, essentially like a garbage chute, just an open tube from your bedroom down to the basement where you can keep a laundry basket at the chute's exit. Throw dirty clothes in from the bedroom and they're ready in the basement to go into the laundry.

I cant imagine it would be very expensive, however the builder might not be willing to add it. No harm is asking though!