Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Kingston

Kingston Barr Homes, Braebury, Canadaco, Concord Homes, Dacon Homes, Geertsma Homes, Homestead, McFarland, Orkney, Royal Palm, Simon Clark, Tamarack, V. Marques

Old 2010-11-30, 04:36 PM

Default areas in Kingston

I am going to move to Kingston Ontario and looking to buy a house, preferably new. Which areas in Kingston or nearby are considered safe and good?
Any idea or suggestion?

Thanks.
Old 2011-03-18, 01:00 PM

Can't go wrong in the East End. Greenwood Park area.
Old 2011-05-20, 09:26 AM
Regular User

Agreed. Greenwood park is great, and growing.

Last edited by TheGrudge; 2011-05-20 at 01:27 PM.
Old 2011-08-08, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newf73 View Post
Can't go wrong in the East End. Greenwood Park area.
Not really agree with that. East End little remote from all city. The down town bridge is really crowded in the morning and just after work.

Behind "Chapters" area really good located. Close to Cat town center, Costco, Wall Mart.
Old 2011-08-09, 11:10 AM
Regular User

I just moved from Greenwood Park so I should expand on my last post.

It's a great, quiet area, but as NewinKingston points out the traffic on the LaSalle Causeway is absolutely horrible during peak times. There is also virtually nothing out there in terms of hardware stores, post offices, restaurants, etc etc etc.

Also, there are a lot of military people that live out there. Nothing wrong with that whatsoever as I support their efforts entirely, but here's the thing. Because a lot of them are stationed in town only for a few years, they don't (understandably so) invest a lot in landscaping or upgrading their yards. As a result, the newer homes which are typical in that end of town have no flower beds, no trees, basic fences.

For whatever reason there is also a large number of people who enjoy parking large boats/RV's/Campers in their driveways out there which is a bit much.

Great people though and it is, for the most part a nice end of town with great walking paths, and parks.
Old 2011-10-13, 05:27 PM

Greenwood Park is a beautiful area. Been here 4 years and just moved into my new bristol home. I must say you could NOT pick out where the military vs civilian people live. You may have the odd house in here where they don't do much with the landscape, trees, plants and so on. Maybe its because they just bought a new home and the landscape maybe on hold for a year or so. I do know alot of military families myself being one of them, and their yards are done up beautiful just like everyone else's.. I feel like you put the blame on the homes that are not done up very nice on Military families. And I must disagree. Not starting trouble what so ever but I just had to say my 2 cents worth..
Old 2011-10-13, 09:11 PM
Regular User

Caper I totally agree with you. In the Tamarack areas and areas with larger homes you are correct - you can't tell the difference. I didn't mention this but I'm referring to the other end where I lived where it was mostly Caraco and Virgil Marques homes. The area you're in (I'm guessing towards Fieldstone/Cheryl Place) is much more um..."developed". I shouldn't have generalized, you are correct.
Old 2012-05-18, 04:55 AM
Regular User

Just got back from Kingston, and like someone said about the Eastend, I have never seen so many houses in a subdivision with un-cared lawns in my life. It was terrible and the only thing I can think of is that people just don't care and they have that attitude that "am going to be gone soon"?

How can you not notice it when you pull up? Even the local kids park was full of overgrown dandelions, and would it have killed a couple of parents to get together with lawn mover and clean it up?

The cheek of it all is that people think they deserve a huge return on their homes....not when it looks like crap in and outside. Also people, put your pets away when you are trying to sell a house...common courtesy
Old 2012-05-18, 06:48 PM
Regular User

England,

Sorry to hear that you got a bad vibe out of the east end. I can't talk for the entire neighbourhood but it certainly not is everyone and not limited to the East end; we could take a drive and you'd be shocked. There are a lot of great families in the East end. We all have preferences as to what we want to be close by. I moved to the East end after living one year in the West.

Hopefully you found a great house for your family. And yes, pets should be put away whenever possible; it only makes sense.

Last edited by seb1974; 2012-05-18 at 06:56 PM.