Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Tarion Questions

Tarion Questions Ask questions and share your experiences with Tarion. Note: It is to be understood that Tarion is not involved with this forum at all and that what you post should be factual. Do NOT post builders names or names of any of their representatives.

Old 2017-03-28, 06:18 PM
Regular User

Default Tarion deathwatch...

well this has been a long time coming...

https://www.thestar.com/news/investi...ator-role.html
Old 2017-03-28, 07:40 PM
Administrator

That is rather huge news.

We've had a lot of experience with Tarion in the last year, particularly with one builder.
Every new builder we engage with is always worried about pissing off Tarion. So moving it over to government hopefully will maintain that fear.
For Your Home - For Your Condo - For Your Office

http://www.phand.ca/
Old 2017-03-29, 09:19 AM
Regular User

I dont think a home buyer will see much difference. Tarion will still be responsible for the warranty program. The higher deposit and new 'upgrades' financial protection is good.
Old 2017-03-30, 08:05 AM
Regular User

Tarion seems unable to control some builders who for example ------

Where I am there is one very large builder who has being asked by Tarion to stop perpetuating the myth that furnace 2 year warranties are automatically voided unless the home owner buys the AC from the builder.

So, it is very unfortunate and discouraging that even in some of this builders newest homes the builders HVAC company is still often putting a large sticker on the plenum beside or above the furnace clearly stating that the furnace warranty WILL be voided, not MAY be voided should other equipment ( like an AC ) be added to the furnace.

It is true however that the two year furnace warranty can be voided when the new home owner has the AC installed by someone other than the builder but only if 1) the home owner does not used a licenced HVAC company, or 2) if the installation of the AC causes damage to the furnace.

Maybe this builder and others have not stopped this practice because there is no consequence to their actions. If for example the builder was fined $1000 for every misleading warranty sticker found on furnaces then this problem would be fixed very quickly.

As well. IMO builders should be forced to put clearly visible stickers explaining real and accurate warranty coverage information on the plenums directly above furnaces. If that sticker is not applied the there should also be another significant fine.

How simple it is to really protect new home buyers.

Last edited by Halton Home Inspector; 2017-03-30 at 03:04 PM.
Old 2017-03-30, 08:38 AM
Regular User

There is a wide ranging perception out there that Tarion is builder friendly. As a result many people do not approach Tarion for help getting issues resolved.
Old 2017-03-30, 02:45 PM
Administrator

My experience is many people do not even involve Tarion for warranty purposes but just forward all requests to a builders service department. Unfortunately that doesn't involve any sort of administration with Tarion, the company who looks after the warranty.
For Your Home - For Your Condo - For Your Office

http://www.phand.ca/
Old 2017-03-30, 07:48 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregS View Post
My experience is many people do not even involve Tarion for warranty purposes but just forward all requests to a builders service department. Unfortunately that doesn't involve any sort of administration with Tarion, the company who looks after the warranty.
Tarion should be there to make sure that the builder does it's job. If someone is between warranty periods it makes sense to deal with the builder directly. If it doesn't get addressed, then get Tarion involved at the next warranty date.

I do think that Tarion sides with the builder more often than it should, and this based on feedback I received when I asked about a problem I was having. There weren't many public comments but I received a number of private messages where it was obvious that Tarion was giving a lot of leeway on the builder's side.

When I spoke with Tarion directly I got the same feeling. I asked them how many times something had to be fixed before the builder had to replace it and I was told there isn't a limit and the most Tarion would do would be to ask the builder to try again. Not buyer friendly IMHO.
Old 2017-04-06, 02:15 PM
Regular User

I totally agree, I m having an issue my builder right now and Tarion doesn't even know what to say me..
We were some subfloor issues so the builder came and we realized that my whole second floor was not sand down and scrwed down,, they have fired the site super as well, now the problem is that I have move in and have some furniture's in all of the five bedrooms..
I asked builder that I can't move the furniture's myself because they are heavy and I need to hire movers to do this. The builder doesn't want to pay for the movers to move the furniture's around so they can fix the subfloor.
The said Tarion code says that the home owner is responsible to move furniture's so I asked them that what does Tarion say about reimbursement to the home owner for the cost incurred to move the furniture's, I mean this isn't just one bedroom but all five bedrooms..
So the builder is saying that I am denying them access to fix the issue.
How can this be? How can tarion not forced the builder to pay for this expenses? why should I paying for the builders mistakes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by suezuki650 View Post
Tarion should be there to make sure that the builder does it's job. If someone is between warranty periods it makes sense to deal with the builder directly. If it doesn't get addressed, then get Tarion involved at the next warranty date.

I do think that Tarion sides with the builder more often than it should, and this based on feedback I received when I asked about a problem I was having. There weren't many public comments but I received a number of private messages where it was obvious that Tarion was giving a lot of leeway on the builder's side.

When I spoke with Tarion directly I got the same feeling. I asked them how many times something had to be fixed before the builder had to replace it and I was told there isn't a limit and the most Tarion would do would be to ask the builder to try again. Not buyer friendly IMHO.
Old 2017-04-16, 08:33 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERA78 View Post
I totally agree, I m having an issue my builder right now and Tarion doesn't even know what to say me..
We were some subfloor issues so the builder came and we realized that my whole second floor was not sand down and scrwed down,, they have fired the site super as well, now the problem is that I have move in and have some furniture's in all of the five bedrooms..
I asked builder that I can't move the furniture's myself because they are heavy and I need to hire movers to do this. The builder doesn't want to pay for the movers to move the furniture's around so they can fix the subfloor.
The said Tarion code says that the home owner is responsible to move furniture's so I asked them that what does Tarion say about reimbursement to the home owner for the cost incurred to move the furniture's, I mean this isn't just one bedroom but all five bedrooms..
So the builder is saying that I am denying them access to fix the issue.
How can this be? How can tarion not forced the builder to pay for this expenses? why should I paying for the builders mistakes?
All so common with builders these days. Some lack the basic morality to do the right thing. No question about it. They should hire a professional crew to relocate your furniture and do the repairs as quickly as possible. Unfortunately no amount of codes or rules can guide morality.