Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Tarion Questions

Tarion Questions Ask questions and share your experiences with Tarion. Note: It is to be understood that Tarion is not involved with this forum at all and that what you post should be factual. Do NOT post builders names or names of any of their representatives.

Old 2017-09-27, 10:01 AM
Regular User

Default should I file a conciliation report while the builder is still trying to fix the list

Im still working with the builder to fix items on my 1 year list - took them a long time to get started with fixes. Conciliation report deadline is very soon - should I proceed with a conciliation?

What happens if items are addressed before the Tarion visit?

Does Tarion typically side with the homeowner or the builder for items that are not explicitly warrantable, but are poorly finished and show lack of effort?
Old 2017-09-27, 11:32 AM
Regular User

Well, that depends on the Tarion rep and their relationship with the builder in my opinion, as well as the items you are listing to correct. If it's a warrantable item, it should get corrected. Poor workmanship should also be covered. It doesn't hurt to proceed with a conciliation. In my previous home, there was an item that Tarion had sided with builder. The sill to the main entry door was completely butchered by trades. It was scuffed so badly, marked up, etc.. It looked like it was 20 years old. This went into conciliation and the Tarion rep dismissed the item because I could not prove that it didn't happen when I moved in. Ridiculous actually. I made the mistake of not putting it down on my 30 day list. However, I noticed the entry door was installed crooked and I put that down on my 2 year list and they had to change out the entire door and frame, including the sill. So I ended up with a new sill in the end. :-)
Old 2017-09-27, 03:05 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvg View Post
Im still working with the builder to fix items on my 1 year list - took them a long time to get started with fixes. Conciliation report deadline is very soon - should I proceed with a conciliation?

What happens if items are addressed before the Tarion visit?

Does Tarion typically side with the homeowner or the builder for items that are not explicitly warrantable, but are poorly finished and show lack of effort?
File for conciliation. If you pass your conciliation you are stating that the items on your list have been fixed to your satisfaction and Tarion will not warranty them.

If the builder needs more time to fix the issues after you have filed, you can postpone the conciliation inspection while keeping conciliation open.

If the builder fixes all the issues to your satisfaction, then you can cancel the conciliation inspection and your conciliation fees are refunded.

Once you apply for conciliation you should notice that the builder wants to make you happy. If you really are not happy with something, get the conciliator to look at it. It's only a few hundred.
Old 2017-09-27, 08:21 PM
Regular User

Depends on whether or not your issues are legitimate warranty issues or not and if the builder has passed their deadline to do the repairs. Once the deadline has passed you have 30 days to file for conciliation. If you plan to file the DON'T miss that deadline.

But, sometimes Tarion reps do not know the building code rules and are just familiar with Tarion rules.

If possible I offer support to my customers during conciliation if the builder does not fix or refuses to fix issues on the reports that I provide customers. I look for code violations, poor workmanship issues, and for things that are missing.

Last edited by Halton Home Inspector; 2018-02-11 at 12:54 PM.
Old 2017-10-04, 02:33 PM
Regular User

I would not put any faith in Tarion after my experience. They are quick to wash their hands off any follow up. I think this whole warranty business is a sham to make new home owners feel good. It is no wonder they ask for $300 to investigate anything and chances are the decision will go against you making you $300 poorer. Contact them with minimum to no expectations.