Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Kingston

Kingston Barr Homes, Braebury, Canadaco, Concord Homes, Dacon Homes, Geertsma Homes, Homestead, McFarland, Orkney, Royal Palm, Simon Clark, Tamarack, V. Marques

Old 2011-07-22, 09:39 AM
Regular User

Talking Did you buy a Tamarack in Kingston? How do you like it?

My wife and I just purchased our second new home. Our first was purchased through a relatively small builder in Kingston and it was great. Aside from one weird paint spot on the wall that they never came back to fix, the house was perfect. Having said that, we started to outgrow it over the years.

We have recently purchased a Tamarack home and the experience has been a little different. While there have been no major problems to speak of, there are several signs of, lets say, speedy workmanship.

Just curious to compare some experiences with other, longer term Tamarack buyers. Did they fix everything to your satisfaction, did you have any issues? What would you change? Did anything blow you away?

I know the Ottawa boards are lively but I think it's time to get this Kingston board up and running with more than a handful of posts!

Last edited by TheGrudge; 2012-02-01 at 07:38 PM.
Old 2011-07-25, 09:44 PM

I am so happy someone finally posted here!

We JUST purchased a Tamarack home. Our closing isn't until early spring, so I can't give any insight into how their product turns out. But would love to hear other opinions.

We built our first home as well - it is a Braebury. While we have had no problems, we have heard many horror stories. That being said, touring Tamarck homes and seeing the quality compared to ours we can see a real difference.

Did you buy in Greenwood Park or Woodhaven?
Old 2011-07-26, 11:07 PM
Regular User

We're in the west end

Last edited by TheGrudge; 2012-02-01 at 07:39 PM.
Old 2011-07-27, 10:20 PM

We are (or will be) in Woodhaven as well. They haven't broken ground for us yet - that will happen in the fall.

As I said, I've only heard positive things about Tamarack, so if nothing else, I'd assume they have good customer service.
Old 2011-08-02, 08:03 PM
Regular User

The sales staff are excellent and so are the follow-up service people. If you do have any issues they take them seriously and fix them within a reasonable amount of time.

Having said that I have a few tips if you're interested. If you are able to keep an eye on your house during the construction phase, make sure that they do a good job bringing the main water line into your house. We have a pretty shoddy display in our basement of a blue pex pipe coming out of the floor on an angle and then the water meter just hanging there from it with no support. Luckily I know a few tradesmen and a friend has agreed to help me tidy it up a bit and put a proper ball valve on the connection.

Also, during your framing walkthrough check that all walls are square. We have the "Bristol" model and in our front entrance there is a wall that is badly out of square. I didn't notice it during the walkthrough but once they put the ceramic tile down - wow, pretty bad. Same issue on a small jut out near our main tub. Just look for plumb and square everywhere.

Also, pay close attention to your sub floor. Make sure there aren't huge bumps or ruts because you will feel them even after the carpet goes on.

Good luck!
Old 2011-08-02, 09:46 PM

Just moved into a Bristol in Greenwood Park. Generally satisfied. But have had some problems. If you are building a Bristol I can give you some suggestions.
Old 2011-08-03, 01:58 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by newf73 View Post
Just moved into a Bristol in Greenwood Park. Generally satisfied. But have had some problems. If you are building a Bristol I can give you some suggestions.
Same here
Old 2011-08-05, 11:07 AM

Not building a Bristol, but a friend of mine is and I am sure she'd love some tips.

I know she has read through many of the threads here about them and has picked up on a few things (the fridge being moved a bit for one so she can open the door completely).

Please let me know what other tips you have!
Old 2011-08-08, 08:29 AM
Regular User

We have a Bristol and here are a few tips I can think of. At least, things we'd do over if we had the chance.

1) In the office the light switch is located immediately to the right when you walk in - at least in our plans. This is great, but there are double doors in the office. If you open both of them, the door on the right completely covers the light switch. I'd put the switch on the left-hand side beyond where the open door will cover it.

2) Reinforce the laundry room floor. For whatever reason, the engineered beams are really "springy". Reinforcing the floor will help prevent vibrations. Might be a good idea to use some sound proof insulation around the room too. Noise wise we've found it to be okay, but I've never been in the adjoining bedroom while the washer is spinning so it may be something worth looking into.

3) In the master bedroom there are two lights: one in the centre of the room and one in the little hall between the master and ensuite and they're both controlled by one switch. If you have any intention of adding a ceiling fan later on it may be a good idea to have a dedicated switch for each light - otherwise, as I found out, you have to choose between the fan running at night or the use of the extra light. We just took the bulb out of the hall light. no big deal but...

Otherwise, I'd have to say they did a pretty good job with switch placement.

4) If she is going with a microwave/range hood, have Tamarack put a proper cabinet above the stove. The cabinet they install by default is not as deep as the other cabinets as the vent for the fan runs behind the cabinet rather than through the cabinet. This leaves very little structure for the microwave to grab on to. Our installer said he's done installing these units in Tamarack homes until they put proper cabinets up there.
Old 2011-08-08, 04:08 PM

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrudge View Post
2) Reinforce the laundry room floor. For whatever reason, the engineered beams are really "springy". Reinforcing the floor will help prevent vibrations. Might be a good idea to use some sound proof insulation around the room too. Noise wise we've found it to be okay, but I've never been in the adjoining bedroom while the washer is spinning so it may be something worth looking into.
I like Tamarack homes and Bristol model particular. But now thinking about basement laundry.