Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Kingston

Kingston Barr Homes, Braebury, Canadaco, Concord Homes, Dacon Homes, Geertsma Homes, Homestead, McFarland, Orkney, Royal Palm, Simon Clark, Tamarack, V. Marques

Old 2011-08-08, 04:54 PM

WE have one in JT in Stittsville...closing in Oct

if you plan on having a french door fridge or even a fridge with hinge side to great room .. shorten the wall to the fridge (minus doors) plus whatever rear allowance your fridge requires and bring the upper cabinet to match up and add a "gable" to the other side.

consider making the study (move garage door to study) into a mud room if you have kids

since it is open concept with all hard surfaces on the main floor and if you have granite or stone.. you will hear a glass being put down on the counter .. while you are in the MBR with door closed never mind a the tv on... so sound proof the walls upstairs .. all of them and install safe n sound doors. With regards to the floors the only way to stop the washer noise is to properly balance the washer and buy the most silent ones that you can afford and use it when it is "noise convenient" like when you goto work .. turn it on. to stop that kind of vibration to the point where it really dont hear it is quite pricey.

If you have a walk out -- get 9' ceilings

brick up front looks really great!

french doors at entrance delineate entrance/hall/great room areas
Old 2011-08-08, 07:49 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewInKingston View Post
I like Tamarack homes and Bristol model particular. But now thinking about basement laundry.
Keep the laundry room upstairs as is and add all the laundry connections in the basement as well. This would give you greater flexibilty in choosing your laundry room location.
Moved In: April 10th 2010
Old 2011-08-10, 03:11 PM

Hey guys. Tamarack recently increase prices for houses in Kingston. I think all model goes up for 5K.
I hear that house prices in Canada overpriced and some guys predict price decrease. Is any ideas how Real Estate market going in Kingston? Should I buy now or wait?
Old 2011-08-10, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Hey guys. Tamarack recently increase prices for houses in Kingston. I think all model goes up for 5K.
I hear that house prices in Canada overpriced and some guys predict price decrease. Is any ideas how Real Estate market going in Kingston? Should I buy now or wait?
Ask yourself this: Did the housing market go through a "correction" like many areas in the country did a few years ago? If so by how much in comparison. New home pricing changes differently compared to re-sale.

In Ottawa the housing market bucks all trends. New home prices go up and never go down here. Re-sale here is mostly affected by area or home type demand. Homes built in the late 80s to mid 90s in urban areas have stagnated price wise if not decreased in value due to their "feature list" not being close to what is available new.
Old 2011-08-10, 04:09 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Did you check with Tamarack to see how much longer they will continue to build in their current Kingston communities? If you wait, say for two years, will they still be around?
Old 2011-08-13, 12:05 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianT View Post
Did you check with Tamarack to see how much longer they will continue to build in their current Kingston communities? If you wait, say for two years, will they still be around?
They'll be here a while. They just started their newest subdivision and opened their model homes 6 months ago. The plan for this area is enormous. I'd say Tamarack is here for good - this area and beyond.

As for the market, I think those "corrections" you always hear about are highly dependent on WHERE you live. After speaking with several agents in the area (and living here most of my life), I can say that the city is made up primarily of public sector workers. Prisons, hospitals, universities - it's about as stable a place your going to find. There is also an army base here in town so there are constantly people coming and going.

That's my 02 anyway.
Old 2011-08-13, 02:04 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrudge View Post
They'll be here a while. They just started their newest subdivision and opened their model homes 6 months ago. The plan for this area is enormous. I'd say Tamarack is here for good - this area and beyond.

As for the market, I think those "corrections" you always hear about are highly dependent on WHERE you live. After speaking with several agents in the area (and living here most of my life), I can say that the city is made up primarily of public sector workers. Prisons, hospitals, universities - it's about as stable a place your going to find. There is also an army base here in town so there are constantly people coming and going.

That's my 02 anyway.
I would have to agree with you.

I posted this in another thread but my place has gone up $70,000 since March 2009. I put in an extra $20,000 in upgrades so that would have been almost $100,000 more. For me, if I were to buy today, I'm not sure if I would have been able to afford it.
Old 2011-10-18, 03:12 PM
Regular User

Default Won't buy again

Hi

I am quite late to this thread, but I wouldn't buy again from Tamarack. We like our house, and we are first-time buyers, but I don't think with what we learned along the process if we would buy from them again.

We cannot complain about sales or how they assessed some of the problems we found after the 30-day inspection. Along the way we learned that they weren't very clear with us with a lot of details with the house (internal and external). Especially their head-office support is far from reliable and the decisions they make are not always clear.

I know we must be newbies, maybe they aren't much different than the other builders, but we cannot say we had a good experience.

Just my 0.02$.
Old 2011-10-18, 09:55 PM
Regular User

What kind of things weren't they clear on, just so I can relate my experience also.
Old 2011-10-19, 08:18 AM
Regular User

We had some issues with interior selection mostly, but also some external things that no one told us (I cannot give a lot of details on external things, as they are very specific to our house).

Internally, we picked most of the bathroom fixtures in a certain finish, and we were never told that we could (or should) specify standard items in the same finish. In the end we have two bathrooms with things in two different finishes (eg. chromed shower door and nickel taps). Also, second paint colours, we specified the rooms that should be painted in one colour, but we didn't specified the rooms that shouldn't, and no one told us we had to.

I understand these are quite minor (I might have other examples that escape me at the moment), but every little thing adds up. So, be careful in the interior selection and specify everything the way you want, otherwise they will tell you it is not warrantable and that's it.