Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Kingston

Kingston Barr Homes, Braebury, Canadaco, Concord Homes, Dacon Homes, Geertsma Homes, Homestead, McFarland, Orkney, Royal Palm, Simon Clark, Tamarack, V. Marques

Old 2011-10-19, 09:18 AM
Regular User

That sounds out of character for the sales office. We changed our kitchen tap and upon doing so they immediately told us that the tap on our island sink (we had the extra sink put in) would not match.

Perhaps we purchased the home just after you though

The only thing they never told us about was the fact the house came sans eavestroughs. When I emailed them about it they said that yes, they weren't included, but they can be added easily for about $800. Not sure where they got their quotes from but they were a little light on their figure.

Not including eavestroughs on a house is like not including door handles on a car in my opinion. The fact the model homes at least have troughs at the front is even more puzzling. If eaves "cause issues with ice and water", then why do you put them on your model homes?
Old 2011-10-19, 11:13 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrudge View Post
Not including eavestroughs on a house is like not including door handles on a car in my opinion. The fact the model homes at least have troughs at the front is even more puzzling. If eaves "cause issues with ice and water", then why do you put them on your model homes?
So potential buyers don't get drenched while visiting their model homes.

k-town-man, are you young? I find that younger people get treated differently sometimes. I know from first hand experience with Richcraft, I was completely ignored or looked down on. Needless to say, I would never buy a house from them.
Moved In: April 10th 2010
Old 2011-10-19, 12:19 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianT View Post

k-town-man, are you young? I find that younger people get treated differently sometimes. I know from first hand experience with Richcraft, I was completely ignored or looked down on. Needless to say, I would never buy a house from them.
That's the WORST. My wife and I were in our mid twenties when we purchased our first home. During our tour of model homes/open houses we often encountered agents who wouldn't even talk to us.

We have since moved into a Tamarack home but last week my wife (now early 30's) just went to another builder's model home in the area. We live in the Bristol but this builder immediately handed her a brochure for the area that is all semis. Making assumptions in the Real Estate business is not good practice!
Old 2011-10-28, 11:45 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianT View Post

Not that young, I guess. We are in the late 30's, but this is our first purchased home. They're nice, I can't complain about that, but their full attention was not there.

I haven't heard anything about the possibility of adding eavestrough through Tamarack, and some other things that neighbours have were never mentioned to us too.

Also, another aspect to consider is that we have pending items from our 30 day inspection that still haven't been corrected. Also, most of the times when you have an item to be completed, the contractors will never do things correctly the first time, what adds, sometimes, weeks waiting for them to come back. I guess this is one of the downsides of Tamarack, that seems not to have enough employees to take care of all of the houses and problems they have.

We're planning to move to Ottawa sometime in the future and I wouldn't buy another Tamarack there.
Old 2011-10-28, 02:39 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by k-town-man View Post
Not that young, I guess. We are in the late 30's, but this is our first purchased home. They're nice, I can't complain about that, but their full attention was not there.

I haven't heard anything about the possibility of adding eavestrough through Tamarack, and some other things that neighbours have were never mentioned to us too.

Also, another aspect to consider is that we have pending items from our 30 day inspection that still haven't been corrected. Also, most of the times when you have an item to be completed, the contractors will never do things correctly the first time, what adds, sometimes, weeks waiting for them to come back. I guess this is one of the downsides of Tamarack, that seems not to have enough employees to take care of all of the houses and problems they have.

We're planning to move to Ottawa sometime in the future and I wouldn't buy another Tamarack there.
I would double check with the site office for your pending items. I found that a lot of the times they marked an item as completed but it was not. Then the trade would come back saying that they "must have given the wrong lot number to whoever".
Moved In: April 10th 2010
Old 2012-01-15, 09:34 PM

Agree with k-town man. Would not buy again with Tamarack. Custom price tag without the custom quality.
Old 2012-01-16, 09:15 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by newf73 View Post
Agree with k-town man. Would not buy again with Tamarack. Custom price tag without the custom quality.
Just curious - are you in Greenwood Park or Woodhaven?
Old 2012-01-16, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrudge View Post
Just curious - are you in Greenwood Park or Woodhaven?
Greenwood Park.
Old 2012-03-05, 05:16 PM

Exclamation Cautionary Tale

Hi,

we have been in our Tamarack now for three years. Unfortunately it has been one documented problem after another. Some small and some massive. The worst is probably the on-going water trouble that we've been having. The very first day that we owned the house, the plumbing leaked and water poured through the finished basement ceiling. It's been non stop leaking since then. Tamarack's only half hearted attempt to find the source of the leaking was to replace the O ring on one of the toilets, but they ended up cracking the water tank causing flooding on all levels and thousand's of dollars of additional damage. We were told that the replaced toilet hopefully solved the original problem and that if not they would be back to investigate further. As they practiced their approach of avoidance, the warranty clock continued. The leaking continues and we are now outside of the warranty. Although the original problem was never fixed and we were working with them in good faith as they tried half-heartedly to eliminate the problem, they are now saying that the same leaking is not covered by warranty.

This is my second new build and I have experience working with contractors on renovations. Never have I run into such a situation. You need a builder who steps up to big mistakes and not just the little ones. You need a builder who stands behind its work no matter how big the problem and the solution. Not everything goes smoothly in house construction, so the last thing you want is to build with a builder who doesn't stand behind big mistakes. A new house should not have leaky plumbing and only an unethichal builder would run down the warranty clock. I for one could think of better things to be doing with my life than having to fight in court with a builder. My mistake, I guess for choosing this builder.
Old 2012-03-06, 01:05 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by newf73 View Post

Newf73, what type of "problems" did you have with Tamarack? If I list the major one here, definitely people will know who I am.