Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Barrie

Barrie For soon to be and existing residents of Barrie, Simcoe County

Old 2011-11-26, 08:11 PM
Regular User

Are you guys moving TO barrie or are you already IN barrie? Just to give you guys some info on your new neighbours, my wife and I are both 27, we;ve been married 8 months this december 2nd, this will be our first home. We are currently living with my in-laws until the house is done. We have one baby boy on the way, our first. What's your story?
Old 2011-11-29, 10:40 AM
Regular User

we are already living in barrie...im 28, husband is 30...we got married this past may, so married for 6 months now...second house for us, had condo/townhouse built as well...no kids yet...
Old 2012-03-17, 12:41 AM

Hi Lot 11 here. We bought in Oct 2010 and are anxiously awaiting.
Old 2012-03-17, 02:27 AM
Regular User

Welcome 11 forsyth. What model did you get? When is your closing date? My wife and I just got notice that ours is delayed until the firm closing date of january 14(h 2013. Our original closing date was May 17th, which later got delayed to september 14th. I think we'll have it before that though. Russ (the agent) said their system automatically spits out a delay letter when its close to the delay notification deadline.
Old 2012-03-20, 10:50 PM

Thanks, We got the Buttle Elevation A but have done some upgraeds. Our Firm closing date is July 17 this year. Our first date was Nov 2011 then March 2012 which we expected not to happen. So I think we should be good for this summer. I was in yesterday and they are just tearing apart the sales office to move it down to the site next week so it will be closed for about a week while they get it over there. They're doing trenching now for utilities so our holes should be coming soon Congrats on your baby. I'll be 28 this year and my husband 30 we have two kids a Girl who will be 7 and a Son who will be 3. We've had the house we live in now for 9 years in Barrie not far from the site. We did our first colour appointment Thursday, self induced stress but it went well our last one is April 17.
Old 2012-03-23, 11:55 AM
Regular User

Default Lot 6L - Forsyth Cr

Our firm closing date was supposed to be July 9th but have a feeling it won't be until end of July or maybe mid to late August..We too bought Oct 2010....Got closing dates for Nov 2011 and then March 2012..Russ said today on the phone that they are putting in the sewars for the townhouses and then can't do our foundation until that is over as that side of the street requires pumps because of the grading. He said it will be delaying our move in date. And yes, the site is moving therefore he said in 2 weeks hell have the exact date of when they'll be starting to dig and break ground for foundation...Hopefully there isn't much of a delay...We've been renting far too long when we sold early because we got asking price...We are getting frustrated, no one seems to know anything or tell us the truth....We too did several upgrades but must say we are NOT pleased with the builder's customer service and how things are run. VERY expensive for absolutely no reason at all. Our first home was built as well by Pratt and the upgrades for Fernbrook were basics for Pratt...If anyone knows the reputation for Pratt, you will know that is a SHOCKER...Anyone else have any insight on information to share???
Old 2012-03-23, 11:59 AM
Regular User

we have completed the decor structure & decor appt...we purchased/upgraded our appliances and now just headed down to the city soon to do the extra cable/internet/phone outlets...those too are ridiculously priced...
Old 2012-03-23, 12:15 PM

There's been quite a few holds up by both the Catholic School Board and City of Barrie that are out of Fernbrooks control. The School board held up the site for nearly 2 months because of the driveway/parking situation at the catholic school. After all that they are currently under pupil accomodation review to close the school and bus them somewhere else. That doesn't mean it will happen but there are a number of Catholic schools currently under review. The City held things up for a few weeks as well getting the run around for permits and nit picking about fencing around what will be the park one day. I know its frustrating but just as much so for fernbrook as well, can you imagine the interest they're paying out for this to sit there for as long as it has. The site was sold 6 years ago. We had only been in our house for 2 years before we started looking and originally it was Morra who was bidding on it who built our current home. As for customer service we've been really happy with the rep we got in the decor center she's answered all our questions and gets back to my emails in a timely manner. Some of the upgrades are a little expensive mostly the electrical which we passed on because we have family that are electricians. We did significant upgrades to the kitchen which when i spoke to Aya directly the pricing is in line with what they would charge.

My sister recently bought a pratt condo and the upgrade fees they charged her are beyond ridiculous, her hardwood has huge bubbles in it, the walls were dinged so bad, and they messed up on the actual floor plan and built the wrong units no realising it until she brought it to their attention. they were actually going to give her money back and let her walk away.

I did go for a walk back there on Wednesday the water lines are in and temp hydro for the workers. The utilities should be trenched soon and then they will start. Lot 4 is levelled for the super trailer to go in and I know the sales trailer is moving over there next week.
Old 2012-03-27, 09:35 AM
Regular User

we drove by last night, they are working hard and fast...time will only tell...

seems you had a lot more inside information as to what the hold up was and what is going on politicly...
Old 2012-03-27, 09:39 AM
Regular User

and yes, although our problems weren't that extensive with Pratt, there was a lot my husband had to fix (he's a carpenter) himself and i've heard of horror stories from others. at this point, all builders have their quirks...