Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Barrie

Barrie For soon to be and existing residents of Barrie, Simcoe County

Old 2012-03-30, 07:16 PM
Regular User

So I've driven in there everyday this week watching the progress. They've got a few foundations poured and a few other lots have already been backfilled. Some others have been dug and have the footings either formed or poured. I noticed Lot 6 is dug out along with the other lots beside it. Waiting to see ours get dug.

I had talked to Russ a while back about a meet your neighbour event, but was thinking, since we all are pretty much on the same street and really close, how about we set something up with each other. Maybe meet up for coffee or something and get to know each other before we move in. Let me know what you guys think.
Old 2012-04-01, 10:41 PM
Regular User

Seeing as nobody wants to meet up for a coffee I figure I would just throw out the word beer and grub and maybe that might get a couple more responses ?Or just wait till move in date and have a meet and greet bbq.
Old 2012-04-01, 10:56 PM
Regular User

Beer and grub sounds good to me. I was at the site AGAIN today and saw that the sales office was now open. I spoke with Russ just to see how things were going. He said there's some lots in our area that have to have their closing date pushed past the firm dates of july because the city was giving them the runaround for a pumping station that needs to be installed for our street. Said those lots are being given an extra $7500 incentive to not back out. You guys may want to check and see if you're affected. He said it'd be pushed from july to september.
Old 2012-04-13, 01:49 AM
Regular User

Default site 6L

We spoke to Russ on Easter weekend, yes we are one of the ones who are being affected from the delay of the pumping station. We'll be attending the sales centre this weekend to settle the upgrade thing and to also settle what we think (*touch wood) will be our very last closing date....As frustrated as we are wtih the builder, Russ has been amazing, nothing but helpful & very nice. Is anyone else affected by this?
Old 2012-04-18, 12:25 PM
Regular User

So, my wife and I have our decor appointment booked for Monday the 23rd. We wre wondering if you guys can let us know what kind of upgrades and pricing to expect? also, if you guys are driving through the site and see a white Mitsubishi RVR driving through too, that's me and/or my wife, so dont be afraid to say hi
Old 2012-04-18, 11:30 PM
Regular User

Default Lot 6L

if you see us around as well, we drive both a black sierra truck or a silver terrain suv.

not sure if you had structure appt but garage door was 1500$ and gas line to backyard for BBQ was 600$. just to get different handles for the kitchen is 1000$ (NOT A JOKE)...we looked into putting the cabinets higher in the bathroom (1000$ each), kitchen upgrades are thousands of dollars, through the roof. no exaggeration. we didn't do many because the prices are outrageous although we have the money saved. my husband is a carpenter therefore we can do the work for 3/4 the price. keep in mind builders make all their money on extras. their standard options for bath tile SUCK and the hardwood and ceramics are pretty good which takes away most of the issues. the kitchen cabinets quality can be improved but again not a huge deal, the color selection is good. most of the stuff is cosmetic and not worth getting AT All...stuff like extra cable outlets (150$ each) central vac rough in is something to not walk away from because it's kind of "structural" issues. they are going to try and sell you big time but dont fall for it. in order for us to make sure we had an electric outlet at a certain spot for the tv, they were charging us 170$ + HST, we almost lost it...so well hire someone to come in after and do it for FREE or atleast half the price if you may not know an electrician. the least you can get from them is better unless it's structural or along those lines...good luck with everything...oh another thing, if you can stain your hardwood stairs yourself, DO IT..they charge 2000$ to stain your hardwood if you pick something other than natural oak cause they have to match it to the color you picked...RIDICULOUS
Old 2012-04-18, 11:43 PM
Regular User

oh and your paint colors are 5 different shades of white...we didn't find a good selection of countertops but we tend to have expensive taste so well get that stuff later on for a fraction of the price...we were EXTREMELY dissapointed, can't even say that's the word...not to sound like a downer but we've built before with the worst builder in Barrie and didn't encounter ANY issues with this...my parents and sister have both built homes twice and never had issues either...while doing our homework we noticed that fernbrook's homes were more expensive than everyone else so we thought that quality & selection would be exceptional, but it's not the case...sorry!
Old 2012-05-12, 03:07 AM

Apparently I stopped getting emails when you guys post, thought it had been pretty quiet and I'd check the board and what do you know.... Anyway I drive by like a stalker almost everyday, sometimes twice in a black Dakota or a rogers escape. Even my kids ask now when I pick them up from daycare if we can go see the house and my 3 year old who goes to daycare at west Bayfield frequents walks with his class and tells everyone "dats ma new house" and thinks we get to keep all the machines . It's been so muddy we haven't been able to get too close so hoping to swing by tomorrow and get a better look. Security is there all the time now I drove by and found half a dozen young kids going throughout the houses up closer to kozlov one was climbing through the rafters on the roof just asking for an accident to happen. As for upgrades well I've had nearly 2 years to save so may have gone a little nuts. We too asked the stairs to be left unfinished, my husband builds and installs stairs for a living he despises the fact they're oak and he's not allowed to make them but he'll have to get over it. I agree the electrical pricing was ridiculous. Rockwoodkitchens quoted me 2800 for granite installed but sounds too good to be true so we just picked a tolerable laminate for now. Had a minor heart attack when the decor consultant sent me the wrong floor plan this week, considering the first floor is framed but Russ jumped all over it and made sure the construction office had the right one. We too are delayed and signed for oct 31. Hoping they can finish for September it would be nice to get in and paint some non white colors and unpack before the snow comes along. I guess one of the benefits of taking this long is a lower interest rate we've secured 3.29

Oh and the appliances are a joke, if you talk to Steve it works out to be a 1840 credit so I'm thinking we taking the stock white ones and I'm listing them on kijiji. Check out canadianappliances.com and tasco they seem to have better pricing then appliance Canada or you can play them against each other.
Old 2012-05-12, 03:09 AM

Oh and the bathroom vanities didn't have drawers, discovered that as we were literally signing the final papers so there went an extra $280 per bathroom for them to basically swap a door for a drawer cabinet.... It was ridiculous
Old 2012-05-13, 08:32 PM
Regular User

no we lucked out big time on our appliances...we went to appliance canada in march and they had a huge sale on whirlpool appliances so we got a really good rebate on the kitchen appliances and we scored basically a 2 for 1 deal on the samsung washer/dryer front loaders (the cadillac of all washer/dryers)....we put some of our own money in upgrades before this 7500$ but now there isn't one thing left ot upgrade...if there is, it's not worth it...we himmed and hawwwed, have to be realistic that this is just semi-detached and wont get all our $$$ back if we put too much....and we dont plan on being there forever either....we drive by all the time as well, we walk in all the time...so far, only one of the guys told us to get out...the others are pretty cool...we didn't put drawers in the cabinets, it's pointless...everyone has baskets anyway so it's a complete waste of money...we've built before and we know that builders make all their money on upgrades and just rip people off lol so anything more to do after we move in will be us...we chose to not stain the stairs too cause 2000$ if RIDICULOUS and it's easy to do.....