Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Kingston

Kingston Barr Homes, Braebury, Canadaco, Concord Homes, Dacon Homes, Geertsma Homes, Homestead, McFarland, Orkney, Royal Palm, Simon Clark, Tamarack, V. Marques

Old 2011-11-22, 02:59 PM
Regular User

Default Kingston......East or West? Your Opinions please

For folks that live in Kingston, please feel free to chip in here

Case: Family with 2 kids ( teenager and toddler )

Need: Newly built houses in a nice neighbourhood with young families ( bungalow or detach ) Nothing over 10yrs old

Access: Good high school ( important ), big box stores, social amenities, quick hwy access

Thanks
Old 2011-11-22, 08:06 PM
Regular User

I lived in the West end growing up, moved to the East end when we purchased our first home, and moved back to the west end about 6 months ago.

There's a similar thread on this forum that I responded to a little while ago.

http://www.buildinghomes.ca/communit...ad.php?t=15430

The east end is a lovely part of town and the subdivision (Greenwood Park) has great walking paths, a school (soon to be 2), and you really can't ask for a better neighbourhood setting.

However, I found there weren't a lot of amenities. There's a pizza place (one), a restaurant (one), and a grocery store (one), but that's about it. If you need to mail a package, shop at a home improvement store or visit a Best Buy, you're going to be heading to the west end.

I also found the commute to be getting pretty bad. I've moved to the west end which is about 5km further, but my commute time is about the same. If your not familiar with the area there's basically 2 roads that lead to the east end. A one lane bridge and the 401 - so it's pretty congested.
Old 2011-11-22, 08:14 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrudge View Post
I lived in the West end growing up, moved to the East end when we purchased our first home, and moved back to the west end about 6 months ago.

There's a similar thread on this forum that I responded to a little while ago.

http://www.buildinghomes.ca/communit...ad.php?t=15430

The east end is a lovely part of town and the subdivision (Greenwood Park) has great walking paths, a school (soon to be 2), and you really can't ask for a better neighbourhood setting.

However, I found there weren't a lot of amenities. There's a pizza place (one), a restaurant (one), and a grocery store (one), but that's about it. If you need to mail a package, shop at a home improvement store or visit a Best Buy, you're going to be heading to the west end.

I also found the commute to be getting pretty bad. I've moved to the west end which is about 5km further, but my commute time is about the same. If your not familiar with the area there's basically 2 roads that lead to the east end. A one lane bridge and the 401 - so it's pretty congested.

Thank you....That is exactly what puts me off the east end, the lack of places like the ones you mentioned in your post. Now do you have kids?

I ask because am trying to find out good high schools and pre-schools. Also what part of the west are you and how much is say a detached bungalow, 2 story or a decent end lot townhome? I love gardening and maintain my lawn ;-)

What areas of the west would you say to avoid and why? Budget is 300k max, will go slight up if the house doesn't need any work

Thx

PS: Thoughts on these areas, and which ones to avoid

Where to buy a newly built home in Kingston?

Are you in the market to build a new home? Now is the time to start thinking about building if you want to get into your new house for the Spring/Summer 2010 and avoid paying the new HST taxes!

As a local REALTOR who specializes in both Resale Homes & New Construction, my partner & I are a perfect fit to help you secure your newly built home. We understand what goes into the construction of new homes, the selection process and the details needed to ensure that you get what you envision! Below are some existing and upcoming locations in Kingston to build a new home – all of which we can represent you in the purchase of this new home!

1. Lyndenwood, located behind Rona, just off Princess St.

Area Pricing for New Construction: High $200,000′s to $600,000.

Type of New Construction Available: Single Detached, Custom Homes

Builders: Geertsma Homes, V. Marques Homes, Caraco, James Selkirk, Haynes Classic Homes, Dehoop Homes.

2. West Hampton, located East of Costco off Centennial Drive.

Area Pricing for New Construction: Low $200,000′s to high $300,000′s.

Type of New Construction Available: Single Detached

Builders: Caraco, Dehoop Homes, Braebruy Homes

3. Greenwood Park, located on the East side of Kingston near CFB Kingston.

Area Pricing for New Construction: Low $200,000′s to $400,000′s.

Type of New Construction Available: Single Detached, Towns

Builders: Caraco, Braebury, Tamarack Homes, James Selkirk, various small custom builders.

4. Conservatory Pond, located just south of No Frills off Bayridge Dr. Only 2-3 spec homes available here.

Area Pricing for New Construction: mid $200,000′s to $300,000′s.

Type of New Construction Available: Single Detached

Builders: Braebury Homes

5. Stonebridge, located south of Taylor Kidd, just off Centennial Dr.

Area Pricing for New Construction: High $200,000′s to $600,000.

Type of New Construction Available: Single Detached, Towns

Builders: Caraco, Braebury Homes, various small builders.

6. Westbrook Meadows, located off of Wesbrook Rd, just West of Collins Bay.

Area Pricing for New Construction: High $200,000′s to $500,000.

Type of New Construction Available: Single Detached, Custom Homes

Builders: Any builder of choice that follows area covenants.

7. Lakeview in Amherstview, head west on Bath Rd to Speers Dr in Amherstview.

Area Pricing for New Construction: low $200,000′s to $300,000′s.

Type of New Construction Available: Single Detached, Good Entry Level options.

Builders: McFarland Construction, Barr Homes, Royal Palm Homes

8. Rural Building Lots

There are a number of rual building lots available to purchase and build to suit. In this case, you can secure the lot and select the builder of your choice to cosntruct the home. There are various ways to structure the purchase of the lot & the deal with a builder – ask for details!

9. Woodhaven, North-West corner of Bayridge Dr & Princess St. *** NOW OPEN ***

Woodhaven is the next big development in the west end of Kingston. With pricing starting in the low $200,000 for a town house and up to the low $400,000′s for a larger single family home – this area is sure to draw a lot of interest. Both Tamarack Homes & Caraco Homes are now selling homes in this area. Call me today to get into your new home in Woodhaven!

The area is comprised of Single Detached homes, Semi-Detached and Townhouses. Plus with walking paths and the future location of the next Limestone District School boards elementary school, there is tons to enjoy in this area.

Last edited by England; 2011-11-22 at 08:43 PM.
Old 2011-11-22, 08:50 PM
Regular User

It's completely subjective in terms of what areas to avoid. I have my reasons for avoiding certain areas but I wouldn't want to share them on a public forum. Each person is different too. Reasons I may avoid an area may not matter to someone else.

I have one child yes, and another on the way and we'll be staying put in the west end. In terms of high schools I'm not really at that stage yet so I'm afraid I can't help.
Old 2012-01-29, 09:57 AM
Regular User

Hi guys,

The time to make the move is getting closer. We will like to be in the west end just because everything is there ( box stores, grocery, shopping, closer to the GTA).

Need areas to look for newer built homes, good high schools and pre-schools, safer neighbourhoods

Someone sent me this info about Kingston from their personal perspective.

"Avoid the "twin oaks" and "sexton place" areas of Bayridge and Taylor Kidd blvd - avoid heaton road and pembridge cres north of Taylor Kidd blvd (south of taylor kidd blvd is fine) avoid boxwood and Lombardy unless he doesn't mind train tracks close by. Truedell and Lancaster elementary are two of the best west end schools and hard/impossible to get into unless u live in their catchment areas - there unfortunately is no map of catchment areas easily available online but I'm sure LDSB would have the info.

the older section of cataraqui woods is no good either - anything south of cataraqui woods drive - avoid. West end or east end are the safest areas."

Your thoughts please with some top high school recommendations for my would be grade 11'er

Cheers
Old 2012-02-07, 10:18 AM

I live in the East end and prefer it to the west. Has all that you listed with the exception of the big box stores........a plus in my mind......I'd rather drive 10 mins as opposed to having them in my backyard. I think Greenwood Park is a great neighbourhood for young families.
Old 2012-02-09, 12:20 AM
Regular User

I live in the East End, having moved from the West End. I'm enjoying the close-knit community. Will soon have a brand-new elementary school (2012) and they're building a new plaza with a grocery store, pharmacy and LCBO so it'll alleviate some of the problems people see with the East End.

We're moving to Ottawa and are actually relocating to a similar-feel community. Now if only I could get the sale sign in front...
Old 2012-02-15, 09:51 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by seb1974 View Post
I live in the East End, having moved from the West End. I'm enjoying the close-knit community. Will soon have a brand-new elementary school (2012) and they're building a new plaza with a grocery store, pharmacy and LCBO so it'll alleviate some of the problems people see with the East End.

We're moving to Ottawa and are actually relocating to a similar-feel community. Now if only I could get the sale sign in front...
If you don't mind me asking, are you military? I am and currently live in Orleans. My reason for looking at the westend, is solely to try and get away from the military influx of the pmq north (hwy 15 ) :-)

So what is the average price of a 3 bedroom detach less than 10yrs old house round where you are? I am told to avoid Breabury because of their crappy homes
Old 2012-02-18, 09:23 PM
Regular User

Indeed there are more military people in the East End (yes I'm one of them) but it depends in which area you live. I live on a crescent of about 60 houses and there are only 6 military families. Truly, unless I purposely look for them, I barely notice; aside from my neighbour . I lived in the West End for a year and there were 3 other military families within 2 blocks... So in our case, PMQ north wasn't bad at all; we love our neighbourhood.

Transit time from our house to work is 7 minutes, compared to the West End where it was more in the 20-25 minutes range. There's also a great community feel that we enjoyed. Price range depends on a few things (bungalow, 2-storey, builder) but it's slightly lower than Orleans. You'll be looking at around 400k for the average house. We'll be listing our 1500sqft bungalow with finished basement (total 2850 sqft finished) for around that price; all depending on how quickly we want it off the market. The newer Tamarack and Sobella sell for mid-400s. I don't believe that Braebury has any newer homes in the East End (PMQ North They have built many houses in the area but they are older than 10 yrs old.

Last edited by seb1974; 2012-02-18 at 09:26 PM.