Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > General > Chit Chat

Chit Chat General chit chat that doesn't have to be specific to home ownership.

Old 2014-02-06, 09:41 AM
Regular User

Default New Blog Idea - Good or Played Out

I have a question for the members of BuildingHomes.ca, but first let me preface the question with a small bit of history.

About a year ago I started a technology blog that aims to help people realize the full potential of their devices. It also provides tips and answers questions to help make the whole business of tech a little easier. It's mainly focused on Apple products and apps, but that's neither here nor there - just let it be said I have "blogging experience".

Anyway, I'm a pretty big "do it yourself" enthusiast also. I'm not an expert by any means but I did work my way through school while working at Beaver Lumber (a Canadian institution!), both as a yard guy and as a CSR at the lumber desk. I would say the knowledge I picked up there puts me in a fairly good place for an amateur DIY guy.

So the point of my question...

I'm starting to finish my basement at the moment. I thought it might be cool to start a DIY blog. The main topic at first would be the process of finishing the basement.

I could show people the process for getting a permit, what is expected in terms of construction quality, what materials I used, how I built things, how I laid out the room etc. The purpose wouldn't be to document everything I do or to preach that my way is best, but rather to help people see the process and what's involved, ask questions etc.

Is that something that sounds interesting and worth reading?

Just curious to hear thoughts and opinions.

Last edited by TheGrudge; 2014-02-06 at 09:48 AM.
Old 2014-02-06, 10:13 AM
Regular User

I think many would be interested in this.
Old 2014-02-06, 10:27 AM
Regular User

I would be following your thread for sure

progress thread
http://www.buildinghomes.ca/communit...ad.php?t=21560
Old 2014-02-06, 12:06 PM
Regular User

Although I don't have a basement to finish, I would love to follow that blog. Please post it when you get started.

I think it would be especially worthwhile if you would be willing to post/document your shopping trips to your local BBS to purchase materials and what not. For someone who'd be completely new to basement finishing, stuff like (do you buy all the materials at once or by as you go?, how do you get the drywall down the narrow stairs, different types of subfloors, etc.) would be fascinating.

Good luck!

Old 2014-02-06, 02:02 PM
Regular User

I would follow since we have the same builder.
Moved In: April 10th 2010
Old 2014-02-06, 02:34 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianT View Post
I would follow since we have the same builder.
So a separate section on how to frame bulkheads around multiple 90-degree duct elbows would come in handy?

I kid, I kid....
Old 2014-02-06, 07:48 PM
Regular User

Thanks for the feedback today everyone. I've registered a URL with my web host so I'll be sure to let you know once everything goes live.

Maybe we could use this thread for posts/articles you'd like to see, kind of like the post from mc_ottawa.

Of course I realize the purpose of BuildingHomes.ca is not to promote other sites so perhaps send me a DM if you have some questions/ideas.
Old 2014-02-11, 08:37 AM
Regular User

Can I get the link to your technology blog?
Old 2014-02-11, 08:38 AM
Regular User

Sure - I'll send you a PM
Old 2014-02-11, 09:44 AM
Regular User

I think that would be a terrific idea if you could stick to it and make it worth while, I suffered scope creep and decided to build my own server to host my own blog, that is all done and still up and running but the blog never came to fruition.

A few years back I had a similar idea because a lot of the available information and how-to was just not there and any available was often wrong or misleading. I finished my basement and kept it well documented however with a family, young family at that the time was just not there to produce a quality blog.

I did end up writing a step by step and why I chose this and that, etc doc and kept a very detailed expense and hours worked/task tally. I have provided it to many people, many on this site in fact to give them an idea of what is involved, many most definitely under estimate the project. Not sure if you are camera shy or not but video and tonnes of pictures are always great too, maybe even a youtube channel. By the end of it I had well over 500 pics of every stage and hours of video. If you have the time I would go for it. PM your tech blog, cheers rob