Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Tarion Questions

Tarion Questions Ask questions and share your experiences with Tarion. Note: It is to be understood that Tarion is not involved with this forum at all and that what you post should be factual. Do NOT post builders names or names of any of their representatives.

Old 2014-11-20, 08:49 AM
Regular User

Default Tarion Process at the PDI

There are a number of items that must be checked at the pdi stage so that it is 100% certain it was caused by builders subcontractors (not the home owner).

Quote:
Originally Posted by ildara View Post

Edit/Update:
While skimming through the guidelines I noticed that some sections specifically mentioned the PDI Form. I copied and pasted the section names and remarks in a Google doc, and they are also listed below with links to Tarion.

3. WALL FRAMING
6. PLUMBING
7. ELECTRICAL
8. INTERIOR CLIMATE CONTROL
9. WALL AND CEILING FINISH
10. INTERIOR FINISH
11. CABINETS AND COUNTERTOPS
12. FLOORING
14. GARAGES AND EXTERIORS
Old 2014-11-20, 02:40 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by good2know View Post
There are a number of items that must be checked at the pdi stage so that it is 100% certain it was caused by builders subcontractors (not the home owner).
This is great, thanks for sharing good2know. As a first time home builder this is one thing I am always worried about, what is covered and what will they try to get away with. I will def sign up with Tarion site once I get my reg #
Old 2014-11-21, 11:45 AM
Regular User

Thanks but all credit goes to ildara for posting that cross reference list.

Note that items above are those that require special attention at the pdi stage.

The complete set of Construction Performance Guidelines can be found here>> http://www.tarion.com/Warranty-Prote...uidelines.aspx
Old 2014-11-21, 07:36 PM
Regular User

Sorry, that list is not accurate. Many items on that list are covered beyond the PDI and checking them specifically during the PDI will be a distraction. For example - plumbing, electrical, and HVAC issues are covered well beyond the PDI.

Last edited by Halton Home Inspector; 2016-02-22 at 09:20 PM.
Old 2014-11-21, 11:09 PM
Regular User

The items on the list are those that Tarion recommends be checked during the pdi. I agree there must be good attention paid to damage to finished surfaces.
Old 2014-11-22, 02:42 PM
Regular User

Quote:
The items on the list are those that Tarion recommends be checked during the pdi. I agree there must be good attention paid to damage to finished surfaces.
True but checking to "see if the HVAC system is installed properly" can eat up valuable time as that process in itself can be time consuming and likely beyond the PDI Reps ability. In other words - that is covered well after the PDI and IMO a waste of time. Then again - turning the furnace ON to see if it works is another thing altogether and if weather permits, should be done.
Old 2014-11-22, 05:32 PM
Regular User

I agree with you.

Within the scope of a homebuyer pdi, when they say 'installed properly' they don't mean code compliance level details. They mean: "Confirm proper operation of the HVAC system during the PDI"

Perfect example of why imo an inspector is not required at the pdi stage.
Old 2014-11-28, 06:31 PM
Regular User

Good read here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halton Home Inspector View Post
It's not that I purchased a home but I have been at many PDI's. If it's a Mattamy home then usually you start in the kitchen where the PDI Rep will explain the process.

That PDI Rep will likely have a roll of green painters tape and use small pieces of that tape, and give you pieces of tape to mark defects like scratches, dents, chips, and other defects on counters, cabinets, doors, cabinets doors, etc., etc., etc.

TIP - I would suggest you spend a couple dollars and buy your own roll of basic green painters tape. That way you do not have to constantly ask the rep for pieces from his/her roll.

Once you have finished going over the PDI process in the kitchen the rep will probably want you to go upstairs to go through the rooms and bathrooms. This gives you a good chance to carefully scrutinize the hardwood steps and handrails for poor finishes, chips, scratches, staple holes, etc.

Once you are upstairs - in bedrooms just focus on painted walls, doors, carpet, hardwood* floors, but in bathrooms spend more time checking cabinets, counters, cabinet doors, look inside cabinets for damage, check toilets and tubs for damage, scratches, etc., and run your hands over tub surfaces looking for defects and pain splatter.

Once you are on the main floor carefully scrutinize hardwood floors and then spend a good amount of time checking the kitchen.

Once downstairs the PDI Rep will usually briefly go over your equipment like sump, furnace, HRV, water shut off, water heater etc. Since there are no real finishes down there just make sure the equipment is not damaged.

Your PDI should NOT be rushed. Tarions rule of thumb is one hour for every 1000 square feet. The garage will be checked so make sure the mandoor closes as latches shut and make sure the front of the garage door has NO damage.

If it's not a wet muddy disaster then usually they will walk around the home to note a few things but don't expect much and frankly all that is a waste of time because exterior issues are covered well beyond the PDI.

* Hardwood floors are a particular problem if not inspected properly. Google "hardwood floor cupping" for info and make sure your floors are not "cupped".

Take a small clean damp cloth ( comes in handy because sometimes small bits of dirt on cabinets look like damage and you can simply wipe them clean.

Don't worry about electrical issues, insulation, structure, roof, HVAC, and other major systems of the home because they are covered well beyond the PDI.

If the PDI Rep says silly things like "everything is covered for one year", don't believe it.

Do not take distractions like small kids to the PDI.

If things are not perfectly clean then they can NOT be inspected. PDI Rep should note that and the area should be inspected later.

Sorry I'm rambling,,, I could go on but I'll stop here.

My only other advice would be to call me for a real inspection of the home because a PDI is mostly just cosmetic. In the Preserve my inspections have found serious heath safety issues and many other significant code violations and defects.

Remember, a confident builder will encourage you to get a proper independent new home warranty inspection. A not so confident builder will try to convince you that an independent inspection is not necessary.

TIP - Study the Tarion Construction Performance Guidelines - Interior and Flooring sections.

Old 2014-12-10, 09:49 AM
Regular User

A tarion checklist is here >> http://www.tarion.com/New-Home-Buyer...heck-List.aspx
Old 2018-11-28, 10:00 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Hello, do you know if the detailed list in your initial post still applies? When I look through my documents I only find general overviews of the Tarion Warranty. I also only find general overviews on the Tarion website. I've asked Tarion and the builder for the actual warranty, but they will be slow to respond and may or may not provide it.

I'd like to read through it prior to our PDI.

Thanks for the help!

*** I found a list of these on the Construction guidelines on the Ottawa form. I don't know what I couldn't find it on the Tarion site.

Last edited by stittsville resident; 2018-11-28 at 10:24 AM.