Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2016-01-28, 04:30 PM
Regular User

Default Pot Lights After the fact

Can anyone weigh in on the cost and/or the amount of work/difficulty it would be to have pot lights installed in a finished basement? I can have the builder install but they are very expensive and would like to save a bit ... I would have to pay to have it done afterward as well so just want an idea of cost as well as difficulty for doing later.
Thanks

Old 2016-01-28, 04:47 PM
Regular User

We have various family friends who have done this after the fact. One of my personal friends who is an electrician is getting a single light put in and then will use that wiring to install the rest. The main issue with a finished basement will be access, they will in all likelihood have to open up the ceiling at least partially.
Old 2016-01-29, 11:35 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpa View Post
We have various family friends who have done this after the fact. One of my personal friends who is an electrician is getting a single light put in and then will use that wiring to install the rest. The main issue with a finished basement will be access, they will in all likelihood have to open up the ceiling at least partially.
Can you tell me how difficult it would be? I have until the end of Feb to decide whether to have the home builder do this - it seems quite expensive ($250 per pot light) verses whatever it would be later by private contractor.

Old 2016-01-29, 01:22 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by deborachie View Post
Can you tell me how difficult it would be? I have until the end of Feb to decide whether to have the home builder do this - it seems quite expensive ($250 per pot light) verses whatever it would be later by private contractor.
You may want to check the type of fixture they're installing for $250. I'm not an expert on pot lights but in our last home the builder installed the quick cheap ones which just popped in through the drywall after it was up and they weren't that great. They didn't provide much light and replacement bulbs for them were hard to find. This time with Mattamy, the actual part that they installed cost somewhere around $200 and it provides much better light. We have them in the kitchen and the living room over some chairs and theyre great to work under.
Old 2016-01-29, 02:34 PM
Regular User

Quote:
I will check with him in the coming days and get back to you. I wouldn't recommend doing it yourself. Electrical work is neither easy or trivial and shoddy work can endanger you whole house. Most electricians worth their salt should be able to do this quickly within a day or two depending on how many lights etc. as it isn't a lot of work overall.
Old 2016-01-31, 04:03 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Can anyone weigh in on the cost and/or the amount of work/difficulty it would be to have pot lights installed in a finished basement? I can have the builder install but they are very expensive and would like to save a bit ... I would have to pay to have it done afterward as well so just want an idea of cost as well as difficulty for doing later.
Thanks
We didn't get our basement finished with the builder, but our previous neighbours had.

What they did was the following. They got the builder to install one pot light/ceiling fixture in each room, with their own switch. Afterwards, they hired an electrician in to install other pot lights off of the switch/light.

It would ultimately depend on how many you install and what not. It is not impossible to do afterwards, but if the prep-work isn't done in advance, there'll be a few more holes cut in your brand new drywall.

Old 2016-02-03, 10:16 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc_ottawa View Post
We didn't get our basement finished with the builder, but our previous neighbours had.

What they did was the following. They got the builder to install one pot light/ceiling fixture in each room, with their own switch. Afterwards, they hired an electrician in to install other pot lights off of the switch/light.

It would ultimately depend on how many you install and what not. It is not impossible to do afterwards, but if the prep-work isn't done in advance, there'll be a few more holes cut in your brand new drywall.
This pretty much sums up exactly what was said by our electrician friend. If a single light is in the room on its own switch he can do it very easily with minimal holes.

If not he can still do it easily but there will be more holes.
Old 2016-03-28, 08:10 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Thanks
What did you end up doing with your pot lights? Did you go with builder or will you go the route suggested by some of the posters?
Old 2016-12-03, 07:17 PM
Regular User

I ended up putting them up myself. I just removed the existing room light and chained them up. Took 4 hrs per room. Relatively simple DIY. The hardest part is just measuring where the holes will go. It helped that I took pictures of all the walls before drywall went up. Cost was around 25$ a light including the LED bulb and a roll of cable around 60$.

Last edited by Andrewtang1; 2016-12-03 at 07:21 PM.