Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Halton Region > Oakville

Old 2015-12-19, 07:20 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by toronto10 View Post
We purchased a home recently in Preserve East and looking for some tips as this is our first home. Our closing is in 2017 and we already had the architectural appointment. It seemed pretty rushed so now we want to take things a little slower so we have some peace and no regrets.

Any tips on what to do in the process as we go along?
Feel free to call me before your PDI to book your 30 day warranty inspection and to get tips on what to watch for during the PDI.

Last edited by Halton Home Inspector; 2015-12-30 at 10:52 AM.
Old 2015-12-19, 02:31 PM
Regular User

Thanks Andy I will call you for sure! My home closes in early 2017 so will call you a few months before that.

Last edited by GregS; 2015-12-30 at 04:06 PM.
Old 2016-01-15, 03:50 PM
Regular User

Default Adding upgrades to your mortgage?

Did anyone take the option to add 65% of the cost of your design centre upgrades onto the purchase price of your home so it could be added to your mortgage?

That is the option we took. Or at least it is what we thought we took.

Now we need the final purchase price for our mortgage pre-approval (we close April 27) and I'm not sure what to say. We don't have any purchase price amendment documentation.

I contacted Mattamy and am waiting to hear back. But thought someone here might have gone through it and know exactly how it worked.

Thanks!
Old 2016-01-15, 04:09 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenHales View Post
Did anyone take the option to add 65% of the cost of your design centre upgrades onto the purchase price of your home so it could be added to your mortgage?

That is the option we took. Or at least it is what we thought we took.

Now we need the final purchase price for our mortgage pre-approval (we close April 27) and I'm not sure what to say. We don't have any purchase price amendment documentation.

I contacted Mattamy and am waiting to hear back. But thought someone here might have gone through it and know exactly how it worked.

Thanks!
How long ago did you make the change? They usually set us the amendments by mail a few weeks after each change.
Old 2016-01-15, 04:25 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by WellThatsLovely View Post
How long ago did you make the change? They usually set us the amendments by mail a few weeks after each change.
Our last change was Apr 23, 2015. So it has been a few weeks.

We had a pretty long delay due to being on the ravine/green space. Talking to Mattamy it sounds like our design centre amendments weren't signed off and entered into the system. (A bit unnerving considering our house is under construction ... but I guess it is interior stuff so it won't be a problem.)

They said they will get it signed and in the system by the end of next week.

But what I'm still not clear on is:

Does the entire cost of our upgrades get added to our purchase price and then the 35% we have to pay up front/by closing considered a down payment?

Or do they add only 65% to our purchase price and then the 35% paid up front is just a regular payment like buying appliances or whatever.
Old 2016-01-15, 04:51 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenHales View Post
Our last change was Apr 23, 2015. So it has been a few weeks.

We had a pretty long delay due to being on the ravine/green space. Talking to Mattamy it sounds like our design centre amendments weren't signed off and entered into the system. (A bit unnerving considering our house is under construction ... but I guess it is interior stuff so it won't be a problem.)

They said they will get it signed and in the system by the end of next week.

But what I'm still not clear on is:

Does the entire cost of our upgrades get added to our purchase price and then the 35% we have to pay up front/by closing considered a down payment?

Or do they add only 65% to our purchase price and then the 35% paid up front is just a regular payment like buying appliances or whatever.
Everything is added to the purchase price on the day of closing, so your "downpayment" is your purchase price minus the money you borrow from the bank on the day of closing.
On paper, 100% of the value of the upgrades are added to the purchase price and sadly, you pay land transfer tax on it, but any money you've already given the builder will be credited on the day of closing. The "math" for this is sometimes tricky for lawyers lol
Old 2016-01-15, 05:32 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Everything is added to the purchase price on the day of closing, so your "downpayment" is your purchase price minus the money you borrow from the bank on the day of closing.
On paper, 100% of the value of the upgrades are added to the purchase price and sadly, you pay land transfer tax on it, but any money you've already given the builder will be credited on the day of closing. The "math" for this is sometimes tricky for lawyers lol
Thanks so much WellThasLovely! That is exactly the answer I was looking for. That helps out a lot!!!
Old 2016-02-01, 02:15 PM
Regular User

I'm curious if anyone else had their HRV and humidifier installed by Mattamy, does your unit whistle when it's running? I know it's sucking on air somewhere (because that's how whistling works lol) and the remedy for that is to find where it is and to block that air, but does anyone have any quick fixes or suggestions as to where the leak is if you've come across it already? Thanks!
Old 2016-02-02, 06:30 AM
Regular User

Quote:
I'm curious if anyone else had their HRV and humidifier installed by Mattamy, does your unit whistle when it's running? I know it's sucking on air somewhere (because that's how whistling works lol) and the remedy for that is to find where it is and to block that air, but does anyone have any quick fixes or suggestions as to where the leak is if you've come across it already? Thanks!
I have seen, checked, and inspected well over a thousand HRV's and no, they do not whistle when they run but you are on the right track re air flow somewhere that may cause this. This sound may be coming from where the ducts connect to the unit so my first advice would be to check there.
Old 2016-02-18, 03:00 PM
Regular User

Hello Everyone - does anyone know what the last price Mattamy was Selling the 45' Ft Orchid Model - either the Stucco Elevation or Brick/Stone Elevation? Thanks