Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Halton Region > Oakville

Old 2016-02-07, 08:07 PM
Regular User

Question Water Hardness in Oakville

How does everyone in Oakville find their water hardness? I'm moving into the Preserve area (Dundas & Sixth Line) next month and I'm considering getting a water softener so thought I'd see what everyone else thinks.
Old 2016-02-08, 03:10 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesla View Post
How does everyone in Oakville find their water hardness? I'm moving into the Preserve area (Dundas & Sixth Line) next month and I'm considering getting a water softener so thought I'd see what everyone else thinks.
We moved from Toronto... I haven't noticed the hardness to be much different, if anything, it seems overall a bit softer... Our glass showers are much easier to keep clean in this house.
Old 2016-02-08, 03:39 PM
Regular User

Are you also in the Preserve area? I'm not sure how much variance there would be within Oakville but I assume if you're closer to the lake you'll have different water quality.
Old 2016-02-08, 03:50 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesla View Post
Are you also in the Preserve area? I'm not sure how much variance there would be within Oakville but I assume if you're closer to the lake you'll have different water quality.
Yup, we've been in PH2 of the Preserve for 9 months. I've lived directly on Lake Ontario and also a bit further north and never noticed a difference. I think "on paper", Oakville is slightly harder than Toronto and Missisauga but they probably also depends on who tests it and at what times.
I asked Mattamy if they recommend one, they said they sell them and we could buy one but there would be no point.
Old 2016-02-08, 03:52 PM
Regular User

Thanks that really helps. Does anyone else in the Preserve feel that one is needed?
Old 2016-02-08, 05:23 PM
Regular User

We live in PH2 of the preserve and had one installed. Initially, I thought we didn't need one but later changed my mind and have no regrets. The tiles and showers are spotless with minimal cleaning.
Old 2016-02-08, 10:23 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legend1 View Post
We live in PH2 of the preserve and had one installed. Initially, I thought we didn't need one but later changed my mind and have no regrets. The tiles and showers are spotless with minimal cleaning.
Do you mind sharing what kind of water softener you got and from where? I'm not familiar with which brands are stronger than others and a recommendation would be great.
Old 2016-02-09, 11:16 AM
Regular User

Water softer is a Excalibur water system using a Clack Valve. One of the best on the market. Installer and company that I purchased from is Adrian's Water Softner 519 778 1413.
Old 2016-02-13, 02:47 PM
Regular User

I have been in dozens of homes in the preserve and I can not recall seeing any water softeners. The water to the preserve is from Lake Ontario and should not need a softener. In Milton for example the scenario is different. The older part of town gets water from a local reservoir and the water is hard. All of the newer homes get water from Lake Ontario and the water is soft.

I would think though, that any company that sells water softeners would have a different opinion.
Old 2016-02-15, 11:09 AM
Regular User

Thanks Andy, that helps. I'll definitely want to test the water when I move in. Do you have any recommendations on what the best testing method is?