Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Halton Region > Oakville

Old 2016-02-06, 07:50 PM
Regular User

It wasn't that much to do with infrastructure as it was politics... They got mad that they wouldn't budge on the $60,000 development fee so they left (presumably to wait a few years until there is a different government). To get the permits, the builder are the ones who undertake to take care of any required improvements to the infrastructure so it shouldn't have anything to do with obtaining permits.
Old 2016-02-07, 07:22 PM
Regular User

Does anyone know who Remington uses for their countertops?
Old 2016-02-18, 10:54 PM
Regular User

Question about the PDI process: if I suspect the builder has installed the wrong flooring or the wrong counter top, but I'm not 100% sure and want to go back and double check, can I report it at the 30 day Tarion report and still have it covered? Or do design choices have to be reported on the PDI?

Wondering if anyone has gone through this themselves with Remington or knows what the rule is.
Old 2016-02-19, 11:54 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesla View Post
Question about the PDI process: if I suspect the builder has installed the wrong flooring or the wrong counter top, but I'm not 100% sure and want to go back and double check, can I report it at the 30 day Tarion report and still have it covered? Or do design choices have to be reported on the PDI?

Wondering if anyone has gone through this themselves with Remington or knows what the rule is.
You should be able to verify with the amendment from your decor color selection appt and if you find that they missed anything or if you got wrong stuff, then report it on your 30 day Tarion report for builder to come and fix.
Old 2016-02-22, 09:10 PM
Regular User

Quote:

The PDI is the best time to confirm that you got your upgrades and that you got the right upgrades. If the upgrades are not correct then you need to get it in writing that they will fix it. Not just a verbal "I will check on it" from the PDI rep. It must be in writing that if they check on it and the upgrade is incorrect that it will be repaired / replaced.

Last edited by Halton Home Inspector; 2016-02-22 at 09:15 PM.
Old 2016-02-22, 09:17 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halton Home Inspector View Post
The PDI is the best time to confirm that you got your upgrades and that you got the right upgrades. If the upgrades are not correct then you need to get it in writing that they will fix it. Not just a verbal "I will check on it" from the PDI rep. It must be in writing that if they check on it and the upgrade is incorrect that it will be repaired / replaced.
But if something is missed on the day of the PDI, i.e. we got the wrong colour/design but didn't notice it on the PDI day, it shouldn't be too late to change it at the 30 day mark, right?
Old 2016-02-22, 09:34 PM
Regular User

Quote:
But if something is missed on the day of the PDI, i.e. we got the wrong colour/design but didn't notice it on the PDI day, it shouldn't be too late to change it at the 30 day mark, right?
If you missed anything on the PDI you have to be able to establish that the problem existed before you took possession (shouldn't be too hard).
To be honest, I've never had a problem with any large builder try to claim that we missed any kind of cut-off date. If they screwed something up, they usually try to fix it.
Old 2016-02-24, 06:42 AM
Regular User

Quote:
I have been in many homes over the years at the one year point where people are still waiting for the upgrades they paid for BUT there is no reason why that should happen. With "legitimate issues" you can force the builders hand by going through conciliation with Tarion. If it truly is an upgrade that your builder missed then put it on your 30 day list and learn the time frame rules that your builder needs to follow to resolve the issues. If they do not resolve the issue(s) within the time allotted time then go through conciliation.
Old 2016-02-24, 12:02 PM
Regular User

Thanks for all the great advice guys.
Old 2016-02-24, 11:45 PM
Regular User

I want to replace the hood from the builder and put in a better one.
The clearance from top of 30" gas range to bottom of the cabinet is 36 inches.
The hood I am considering to install is 8 inches, so after installation it will leave 28" clearance.
Would that be against the code? or pose any safety hazard? Is it safe with the 28" clearance over gas range?

Last edited by 4z4z; 2016-02-24 at 11:50 PM.