Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > General > Financing, Mortgages and Insurance

Financing, Mortgages and Insurance What options are best for you and your situation?

Old 2009-03-25, 07:34 PM
Regular User

I got it from citynews.

I also heard about the $400,000 exemption as well as a few other exemptions.
Old 2009-03-25, 08:38 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaydy View Post
Here is what I heard on 680 NEWS. Tomorrow, the province would announce they have agreed to harmonize the tax and this process will take couple of months. Certain things will be exempted and the worse news for most of us is that new home purchases would be exempt under $400,000.00.
The big question is would this 400K exemption be constantly reviewed and increased as housing prices increase? A home under 400K today may be well over 400K in 5 years from now. 400K does not include a lot of homes nowadays anyhow. Maybe it should really be 600K.

And this quote..."The Ontario Chamber of Commerce insists you'll benefit by the change, noting on its website that if businesses save money on taxes, they'll be able to pass that on to you, resulting in lower prices and better paying jobs"

I'm not holding my breath for lower prices. If they insist it's to lower costs which will lower prices, why not just leave it the way it is and don't lower prices?
Old 2009-03-25, 08:49 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by davyfink View Post
I got it from citynews.

I also heard about the $400,000 exemption as well as a few other exemptions.
Is it a bad assumption then that for those with houses above $400K, they would only need to pay for the amount they are above? So for a $500K house, only $100K would be taxable?

I don't think it would be fair otherwise....
Old 2009-03-25, 08:57 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by S and B View Post
Is it a bad assumption then that for those with houses above $400K, they would only need to pay for the amount they are above? So for a $500K house, only $100K would be taxable?

I don't think it would be fair otherwise....
i'm sure if that happens it won't be the difference...

it should be the cost of the house (this means you gotta remove the GST that is included on it to know what the 'actual' cost is).

I don't believe 400,000 is a realistic number - houses in and around the GTA sell a lot more than that even through a builder.

citynews is guessing it would be effective jan 1, 2010
"If the harmonization comes in as expected, there won't be an immediate spike. It will take some time to create the new tax and it's expected it could be in place by January 1, 2010."
Old 2009-03-25, 09:00 PM
Regular User

Yeah, I am guessing the same...that it won't be the difference...but the full price instead.

But just imagine your that neighbour bought a home that cost them $395000 and didn't have to pay the extra tax, but your home came to $405000, but you had to pay tax on the full amount. Not exactly fair...
Old 2009-03-25, 09:08 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by S and B View Post
Yeah, I am guessing the same...that it won't be the difference...but the full price instead.

But just imagine your that neighbour bought a home that cost them $395000 and didn't have to pay the extra tax, but your home came to $405000, but you had to pay tax on the full amount. Not exactly fair...
I don't find it fair at all to have the taxes merge...

this is killing the new contraction market even more!!!!!

as if it not dead enough lately......
Old 2009-03-25, 10:15 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by saw_mui View Post
i'm sure if that happens it won't be the difference...

it should be the cost of the house (this means you gotta remove the GST that is included on it to know what the 'actual' cost is).

citynews is guessing it would be effective jan 1, 2010

"If the harmonization comes in as expected, there won't be an immediate spike. It will take some time to create the new tax and it's expected it could be in place by January 1, 2010."
OK..so if they remove the GST and the total price is $400000 then you would only pay GST and not the harmonized tax?

We are just in the process of signing a contract for a house that will be a total of $420K, but that includes a lot premium and the base house price. If I take off the GST then I might JUST be alright. But then again, once I add future upgrades from the design centre phase, then we might be over the 400K.

This will impact our decision to by this particular home. I hope we find out all the details tomorrow so we can decide whether to look at a less expensive option that would be free and clear of the HST.

What timing!
Old 2009-03-25, 11:45 PM
Regular User

According to this article there will also be a partial reimbursement for homes between 400K and 500K.

http://www.nationalpost.com/news/can...tml?id=1427869
Old 2009-03-26, 12:38 AM
Regular User

If we are required to pay the full difference, we might walk away and buy a cheaper house. In this market, we would end up better off even losing our deposit. I hate to think about it.

Soho West - Kanata

Uh...make that Trailwest...
Old 2009-03-26, 07:54 AM
Regular User

"Ontarians will be paying a harmonized 13 per cent single sales tax as of July 1, 2010, the Star has learned.

"New homes costing less than $400,000 will continue to be subject only to the 5 per cent federal GST.

Buyers of houses costing $400,000 to $500,000 would receive a partial tax credit. But new homes that cost more than that would be taxed at the full rate.

http://www.thestar.com/News/OntarioB...article/608544

Last edited by DRC; 2009-03-26 at 07:58 AM.