Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Simcoe

Simcoe Orillia, Lake Simcoe, Lake Couchiching to Collingwood, Georgian Triangle, Barrie, Alliston, Cookstown, Tottenham, Bradford, Holland Marsh, Midland, Penetanguishene, Georgian Bay, Trent Severn Waterway.

Old 2008-05-09, 12:02 AM
Regular User

Default Brookfield Homes Bradford

Okay...so Greg has put Simcoe County for one of his headings in Message Forum, (with Bradford being a sub-heading) so I am hoping that people will be encouraged to post here!!!
and for those that were looking in the Barrie heading, here are the posts from there....

"Does anyone have any experiences with Brookfield Homes in Bradford they would like to share?
We have bought a new home there, but are still at the "empty lot" stage. (Ground has not been broken) We are in stage 2. Those of you that are already in their homes, did you have much of a delay?...we have not been to the decor centre either, any advice from anyone?
Any ideas or thoughts would be appreciated!

Our closing date for our Brookfield home is not until October of this year, so now we are getting our other house ready to put up for sale. Decluttering and fresh paint in areas that needed it....the touch ups and jobs that should have been done months ago, but now have an urgent feel!! Our garage is full of JUNK!!...now we either have to have a yard sale or call 1-800-GOT-JUNK . We are worried that if we sell the house in the next month we will have a lapse of time before the new house is ready!!...meaning...we will have no place to live!!...I don't know what we will do in that case. Find a short term rental apartment?...we have pets, so I don't know how that will go over....
Anyone have any experiences to let me know about, and how your transition time was....what arrangements you made. etc?...please let me know!!"

Last edited by catmaran100; 2008-05-09 at 12:54 AM.
Old 2008-05-12, 06:39 PM

Default Brookfield Homes Bradford

Hi Catmaran

My wife and I bought a Fernbrook home in Bradford, so same location just different builder. We are also phase II. I'm surprised they haven't broken ground on your house, our closing is in January 2009 and they already have our foundation in and we finalized our decor appointment last week. We've had a good experience so far, Tamara (sales rep) was very helpful but we heard good things about Alex as well.
Our decor centre appointment wen't well as well, the only thing I will say is that they weren't clear about structural upgrades in terms of timing. Any structural changes have to be done quite far in advance (before they break ground) so we ended up not getting everything we wanted.
Old 2008-05-14, 02:26 AM
Regular User

Talking

Hello!!....Wondering if Fernbrook is maybe on a different schedule??....I hope that we will have a "hole" this week instead of a "lot"....We are going to our decor appointment tomorrow (Wednesday)....so, I guess our bigger basement windows are now out of the question, eh?.....
We found that Alex and Tamara are both really helpful, and Alex seems to feel that everything is right on schedule, and we shouldn't have any delays. Did you sell a house to go into the subdivision, or is this your first home?...only asking to get some ideas about what we can do if we end up selling this place before the new house is ready....
and did you upgrade anything?...or stick to the standards?...if you did upgrade, which ones?.....I am finding the pricing to be so out of whack for the upgrades that its hard to justify some of them....(as nice as it would be to have some of them!) I think we will end up mostly standard and then put in the things we want after we are in there......
It must be so exciting to watch your house being built!...i can hardly wait....

We ended up having a garage sale this past Saturday, and got rid of a lot of stuff.....and what was left over went to the side of the road with a "FREE FOR THE TAKING" sign on it....and the last time I looked, there were only a few things left and the "FREE" sign was gone....lol.....some people eh?

Last edited by catmaran100; 2008-05-14 at 02:32 AM.
Old 2008-05-16, 12:19 AM
Regular User

Default decor centre

Well, we had our appointment at the Decor Centre....and it was verrrrry long, and verrrry tiring. I usually love this kind of thing, but choosing everything in your house in four hours was very taxing. We got to the very end of the appointment and the only thing that I was really unsure of were the colours that I had picked for the master ensuite bathroom. I would now like to change them. We also forgot the pot lights that were to be added to the upgrades, and when we got home we noticed that the faucets that we picked out for the master ensuite were missing on the upgrade sheet. But now, trying to get another appointment or even a quick half hour with anyone is almost impossible!!!!....We are worried now that if we have to wait another two weeks to sign off on the decorating end of things we will be delaying our ground breaking date. Does anyone have any knowledge if this might be true?....
I HATE STRESSING!!!!
oh yea......and $4,000 to stain our stairs and railing to match our floor!!!!!!!! OMG.....I guess we are going to do that ourselves. What kind of a rip-off is this??????

Last edited by catmaran100; 2008-05-16 at 12:21 AM.
Old 2008-05-16, 08:18 PM
Regular User

Thumbs up Decor Centre

So, we went down and we talked to Laura at the Decor centre...and she was sooooooo helpful, we will just need to sign off on the electrical end of things, and then go and talk about the decorating part at another appointment on June 2, and so we will not have any delays in our ground breaking....I suppose the only thing the builders are worried about at this point in time is the structural end of things (i'm pretty certain they don't care that I have picked oyster coloured tiles for the powder room), and so i am feeling less stressed about the colours...lol
We had not put in any indoor potlights the first time we went, but after talking to our real estate agent, she suggested that it was a very good thing to do, and worth the money that they were charging...so, we now have indoor and outdoor potlights.
Old 2008-05-17, 01:06 PM

Default Decor Centre

Hi, Sorry about the delayed reply, but I check mostly on a weekly basis.

This will be our second house, we actually just sold our current home. Our parent's live nearby and have a finished basement apartment (kitchen and all) so we are lucky in that we can stay there between closings. We were also worried about the fall market and didn't want the stress of not being able to sell our house before the closing of the new one.

We didn't take too long at our decor centre appointment, mostly because my wife had a pretty good idea about what she wanted and because of our experience from our first home. We also went to the decor centre a few time prior to our actual appointment so that we could narrow down ideas for cabinets, tiles, etc..
As for upgrades, we found that the builder didn't include that many in their package. We had to upgrade certain things just to match the 'standard' features of our current home. For example, we upgraded the door to the garage, trim, bathroom cabinets, oak stairs --> these things were standard with our current home. Other upgrades we did were hardwood flooring on main floor and upstairs hallway (we got Vintage red oak - chariot 3 1/4" wide), we upgraded the kitchen cabinets, deep uppers above the fridge, corner cabinet with glass insert, and a few other minor upgrades.
We opted to leave the stairs unfinished as well because they were charging a ridiculous amount for this.
Regarding the potlights, I think we will do this after as well, there are people that install them for something like $100 a pot light, seems more reasonable to me.
Old 2008-05-17, 11:22 PM
Regular User

Default Brand spankin'

Have your parents got another apartment???...lol
We also want to sell the house as quickly as possible and not be in the position of not having the house sell before closing.
So this is your second brand new home??.....We have had a few homes, but never a brand spankin' one!!..so, this is a new experience for us.
Do all the builders charge this kind of money for upgrades then?....I always thought that when we would buy our new home that it would be finished inside and out!!...but now with some of the pricing, we are thinking of opting out of some of the upgrades that we had hoped to have.....they even want to charge us to NOT put in things....(like the ceramic soap & toothbrush holder-53$) lol
Vintage red oak is a beautiful colour. We looked at hardwood at first, but then changed our mind when they told us how dogs can ruin the finish...and we have three of them....but we did go with the higher end laminate. We have this at our home now, and it has stood up well.
We know that granite countertops, lighting fixtures, staining the staircases and kitchen backsplash are all things that we can do ourselves later and at a much cheaper cost. Not only that, we would have many more colours and styles to choose from.
I guess we tried to do the things that would either be easier to do as the house was being built, or would be almost impossible to do without ripping apart everything after we moved in!! So, we also did the garage door thing, some upgrades in the kitchen...pots and pan drawer, stainless steel range hood, glass shower doors and jetted tub in ensuite, and also a few other minor things.
Have they started framing your house yet?? Keep me posted on the progress!!!

Last edited by catmaran100; 2008-05-17 at 11:30 PM.
Old 2011-02-21, 10:45 PM
Regular User

This thread is a little older now. I was just wondering on how your experience has been sine you last posted.
Old 2015-05-18, 08:17 PM
Regular User

We bought a new build in Bradford and were so excited until we found out that this cute little town has a strip club.... thoughts?

New closing: June 26, 2008