Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Simcoe

Simcoe Orillia, Lake Simcoe, Lake Couchiching to Collingwood, Georgian Triangle, Barrie, Alliston, Cookstown, Tottenham, Bradford, Holland Marsh, Midland, Penetanguishene, Georgian Bay, Trent Severn Waterway.

Old 2017-02-07, 09:15 PM
Regular User

Since I visited the site 3 weeks ago they have increased the price by 50K. The Nelson was 873k and now is 918k. This is quite an increase for less than a month in the market. Not sure if Barrie's market is strong enough to sustain this, crazy!!

Last edited by askimo; 2017-02-07 at 09:18 PM.
Old 2017-02-07, 10:15 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by askimo View Post
Since I visited the site 3 weeks ago they have increased the price by 50K. The Nelson was 873k and now is 918k. This is quite an increase for less than a month in the market. Not sure if Barrie's market is strong enough to sustain this, crazy!!
The 52s went up 60k from Jan 30 to feb 5!! I think by the time I move in this fall the 62s will be at a million before lot premiums. When you compare to the 36' lots in the 2000/2500 sqft range sold out in Sharon/east gwillimbury for over a million, it's still such a good deal. I hear Barrie home prices are increasing 4th fastest in Ontario. Oshawa being the first on the list.

Are you still considering purchasing?
Old 2017-02-08, 09:53 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonemanor View Post
The 52s went up 60k from Jan 30 to feb 5!! I think by the time I move in this fall the 62s will be at a million before lot premiums. When you compare to the 36' lots in the 2000/2500 sqft range sold out in Sharon/east gwillimbury for over a million, it's still such a good deal. I hear Barrie home prices are increasing 4th fastest in Ontario. Oshawa being the first on the list.

Are you still considering purchasing?
I'm not sure, the prices are becoming less and less attractive. At the same time they are not releasing any new lots, I'm on the waiting list, but nothing.

Don't even know what lots are available

Last edited by askimo; 2017-02-08 at 11:43 AM.
Old 2017-02-08, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonemanor View Post
Congrats! I love the Albany!! That was my first choice but The lot beside us didn't buy a coach house so we couldn't either. The lot was the priority for us vs the house model, but we are happy with our Churchill b.

We bought in September and close in August and price has increased 160k since we bought. I have print screened the price lists every time they've gone up, which has been every month but this past January it went up Jan 3, 7 and 27 and then again feb 5. I know that the development started selling in October of 2013 and that it had only gone up 100k total up until sept 2016, so the recent increases have been fast over the last 6 months. Our lot is a ravine and we paid 85k for the lot premium. Lot 537 is huge, that's a great lot!

To get the 500 referral you need to tell the sales office and they send he paperwork to the decor center. Just call and tell them that you forgot to mention it earlier as you assumed that you had to tell the decor center. I will pm you my first and last name...thank you!

What structural upgrades did you do?
In the kitchen we upgraded the cabinets and hardware and added drawers and garbage/recycling drawer. We did a different colour island (white cabinets and dark island). It's so easy to get carried away and we really tried not to go too crazy. Good luck at your next appt!

Thanks! We wanted to get a ravine lot + walk out basement but none were available when we went. Love the round shape and the stone work on the Churchill B. Is yours a walkout as well?

Wow, 160k since September. Happy that I was able to get my hands on the house earlier looking at prices now.

Alright I'll get that done. Thanks!

The major upgrades we did were

Taller height on all 3 floors
Taller doors and archways upstairs
Open stair case
Added 5th bedroom + washroom
A second staircase to the basement (from the second door on the entrance)
A door to the back of the single garage
Smooth ceiling through out
Swapped the regular tubs for standing showers with full frameless glass doors
A couple coach lights in the front (not sure why this wasn't standard. The coach lights aren't anything special so we'll have to change on our own after closing)
A couple holiday receptacles on the soffit around the north, west, east and south of house (will be hiring an electrician to run exterior spot lights around the house. The spot lights were way too expensive to do with them. This was a cost saving alternative recommended by our consultant)
Spot lights in a couple areas
Coffered ceiling in the living/dining
9 panel waffle in the great room
Built in cook top and wall oven
Rinnai tankless water heater (anyone else make this change? I've never had it but did some research online and seems to be a cost saving item in the long run.)

The rest were mostly minor changes. These are the major upgrades that pulled the most money. Prioritized items that can't be done later to be on the top the list. We’ve decided to do hardwood and granite after closing.

You're right, it's easy to get carried away.

Oh great, we’re doing white cabinets and grey island too! Which line of cabinets did you go with?
How much did you end up spending at your second appointment? Just want an idea of what to expect. What other upgrades did you do? Did you guys look into taller cabinets?
Old 2017-02-11, 02:54 PM
Regular User

Do you guys know what lots are available at the moment?
Old 2017-02-11, 05:50 PM
Regular User

Sick with flu so can't put together a thoughtful response but Atheenas24 it sounds like your home will be absolutely beautiful! We spent 125k total on upgrades. Can't base on first vs second appt cause not all decor people go through same elements at each appt.

Askimo I suggest you call the sales office for most up to date lots but I totally hear you about the current prices.
Old 2017-02-15, 12:59 PM
Regular User

Another 20k increase. I can't believe it!!. They have increased the price almost 80k from the time we were in there.
Old 2017-02-15, 11:48 PM

Askimo, so I checked some of my pictures. They actually jumped 90k. It's crazy. Did you end up purchasing a lot?
Old 2017-02-16, 09:53 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atheesan24 View Post
Askimo, so I checked some of my pictures. They actually jumped 90k. It's crazy. Did you end up purchasing a lot?
No I did not, the lots I like are not released yet. There is a 62" lot available with a high premium (increased to 70k from 54k), but is located in an intersection. There are a couple of new 52" lots released as well that I will be looking at.

I'm close to bail out from this subdivision. We can't find correlation with the recent price increase and Barrie's housing market; considering that these homes are just shells that need to be heavily upgraded these princess look less and less attractive. In my perspective and the perspective of my local realtor, this is pure speculation.
Old 2017-02-16, 09:36 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atheesan24 View Post
Thanks! We wanted to get a ravine lot + walk out basement but none were available when we went. Love the round shape and the stone work on the Churchill B. Is yours a walkout as well?

Oh great, we’re doing white cabinets and grey island too! Which line of cabinets did you go with?
How much did you end up spending at your second appointment? Just want an idea of what to expect. What other upgrades did you do? Did you guys look into taller cabinets?
Sorry for delay, was recovering from a bad flu. We wanted a walk out as well but due to grading, we couldn't get it. We were offered walk up but passed.

We spent most of our upgrades on structural, kitchen, ensuite. Here's the big stuff I can remember off the top of my head.

Structural:
- taller ceilings on all 3 floors
- taller archways only on 2, we just upgraded doors to smooth but kept them standard height
- changed sliding door to patio doors with side lights
- added optional door from garage to side of house
- smooth ceilings throughout
- changed ensuite shower to frameless shower to ground (no half wall)
-200 amp
- rough in for cameras/security system
- bigger basement Windows

Kitchen
- We went with upgrade 4a level for the white kitchen cabinets
- added top row of drawers and garbage/recycling drawer
- built in double ovens, range top and wine fridge
- moulding on top and under cabinet valence.
- We did not add the square cabinets above so there will be less than 2ft gap to ceiling. The cabinets are taller standard.
- island to be dark colour

Ensuite
- Taller vanities in ensuite and added top drawers and got makeup counter option.
- upgrades to rainshowet with handheld

Other
- upgraded to 18x18 tile and 5" hardwood dark stain
- upgraded to birds nest iron spindles for stairs
- white risers
- 7" contemporary baseboards and 3" casings
- swivel door handles

That's what I can remember. We drove up yesterday and our basement is done! They are building the Albany next to our house. I talked to Bev and she mentioned lot 537 had broker referral attached to it so if that is the case, you won't be able to get another referral for same lot. Did you get any bonus for the broker referral?

Last edited by Stonemanor; 2017-02-28 at 07:02 PM.