Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Kingston

Kingston Barr Homes, Braebury, Canadaco, Concord Homes, Dacon Homes, Geertsma Homes, Homestead, McFarland, Orkney, Royal Palm, Simon Clark, Tamarack, V. Marques

Old 2011-07-22, 08:39 AM
Regular User

Talking Did you buy a Tamarack in Kingston? How do you like it?

My wife and I just purchased our second new home. Our first was purchased through a relatively small builder in Kingston and it was great. Aside from one weird paint spot on the wall that they never came back to fix, the house was perfect. Having said that, we started to outgrow it over the years.

We have recently purchased a Tamarack home and the experience has been a little different. While there have been no major problems to speak of, there are several signs of, lets say, speedy workmanship.

Just curious to compare some experiences with other, longer term Tamarack buyers. Did they fix everything to your satisfaction, did you have any issues? What would you change? Did anything blow you away?

I know the Ottawa boards are lively but I think it's time to get this Kingston board up and running with more than a handful of posts!

Last edited by TheGrudge; 2012-02-01 at 06:38 PM.
Old 2011-07-25, 08:44 PM

I am so happy someone finally posted here!

We JUST purchased a Tamarack home. Our closing isn't until early spring, so I can't give any insight into how their product turns out. But would love to hear other opinions.

We built our first home as well - it is a Braebury. While we have had no problems, we have heard many horror stories. That being said, touring Tamarck homes and seeing the quality compared to ours we can see a real difference.

Did you buy in Greenwood Park or Woodhaven?
Old 2011-07-26, 10:07 PM
Regular User

We're in the west end

Last edited by TheGrudge; 2012-02-01 at 06:39 PM.
Old 2011-07-27, 09:20 PM

We are (or will be) in Woodhaven as well. They haven't broken ground for us yet - that will happen in the fall.

As I said, I've only heard positive things about Tamarack, so if nothing else, I'd assume they have good customer service.
Old 2011-08-02, 07:03 PM
Regular User

The sales staff are excellent and so are the follow-up service people. If you do have any issues they take them seriously and fix them within a reasonable amount of time.

Having said that I have a few tips if you're interested. If you are able to keep an eye on your house during the construction phase, make sure that they do a good job bringing the main water line into your house. We have a pretty shoddy display in our basement of a blue pex pipe coming out of the floor on an angle and then the water meter just hanging there from it with no support. Luckily I know a few tradesmen and a friend has agreed to help me tidy it up a bit and put a proper ball valve on the connection.

Also, during your framing walkthrough check that all walls are square. We have the "Bristol" model and in our front entrance there is a wall that is badly out of square. I didn't notice it during the walkthrough but once they put the ceramic tile down - wow, pretty bad. Same issue on a small jut out near our main tub. Just look for plumb and square everywhere.

Also, pay close attention to your sub floor. Make sure there aren't huge bumps or ruts because you will feel them even after the carpet goes on.

Good luck!
Old 2011-08-02, 08:46 PM

Just moved into a Bristol in Greenwood Park. Generally satisfied. But have had some problems. If you are building a Bristol I can give you some suggestions.
Old 2011-08-08, 03:54 PM

WE have one in JT in Stittsville...closing in Oct

if you plan on having a french door fridge or even a fridge with hinge side to great room .. shorten the wall to the fridge (minus doors) plus whatever rear allowance your fridge requires and bring the upper cabinet to match up and add a "gable" to the other side.

consider making the study (move garage door to study) into a mud room if you have kids

since it is open concept with all hard surfaces on the main floor and if you have granite or stone.. you will hear a glass being put down on the counter .. while you are in the MBR with door closed never mind a the tv on... so sound proof the walls upstairs .. all of them and install safe n sound doors. With regards to the floors the only way to stop the washer noise is to properly balance the washer and buy the most silent ones that you can afford and use it when it is "noise convenient" like when you goto work .. turn it on. to stop that kind of vibration to the point where it really dont hear it is quite pricey.

If you have a walk out -- get 9' ceilings

brick up front looks really great!

french doors at entrance delineate entrance/hall/great room areas
Old 2011-08-10, 02:11 PM

Hey guys. Tamarack recently increase prices for houses in Kingston. I think all model goes up for 5K.
I hear that house prices in Canada overpriced and some guys predict price decrease. Is any ideas how Real Estate market going in Kingston? Should I buy now or wait?
Old 2011-08-10, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewInKingston View Post
Hey guys. Tamarack recently increase prices for houses in Kingston. I think all model goes up for 5K.
I hear that house prices in Canada overpriced and some guys predict price decrease. Is any ideas how Real Estate market going in Kingston? Should I buy now or wait?
Ask yourself this: Did the housing market go through a "correction" like many areas in the country did a few years ago? If so by how much in comparison. New home pricing changes differently compared to re-sale.

In Ottawa the housing market bucks all trends. New home prices go up and never go down here. Re-sale here is mostly affected by area or home type demand. Homes built in the late 80s to mid 90s in urban areas have stagnated price wise if not decreased in value due to their "feature list" not being close to what is available new.
Old 2011-08-10, 03:09 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewInKingston View Post
Did you check with Tamarack to see how much longer they will continue to build in their current Kingston communities? If you wait, say for two years, will they still be around?
Moved In: April 10th 2010