Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > General > Building and Construction

Building and Construction General topics of building a home and the home construction industry.

Old 2010-03-17, 11:40 PM
Regular User

Default Sump Pump PIT

Just a couple questions about my Sump Pump installation.

1. As you can see in the first picture there are 2 weeping tile hoses going into the pit. Why is one facing upwards and the other down?

2. Looking at the second picture, you can see the plastic pit cover (now on). Then there is a spot all the way around with loose gravel, and then finally the concrete. What is the purpose of this loose gravel?

3. There is cardboard (sonotube I assume) that wraps the inside of the whole that is stopping the gravel from falling out. I don't quite understand what this gravel and cardboard is for as the weeping tiles are already in the pit itself.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1466.JPG
Views:	102
Size:	1.27 MB
ID:	5840   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1469.JPG
Views:	104
Size:	1.02 MB
ID:	5841  
Old 2010-03-18, 12:44 AM
Regular User

For # 1 they just didn't trim the weeping tile flush. They both just drain into the pit. There is no significance to facing down or up.
Old 2010-03-18, 08:54 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakvillehomeowner View Post
For # 1 they just didn't trim the weeping tile flush. They both just drain into the pit. There is no significance to facing down or up.
Wouldn't it have trouble draining in the pit facing up the way it is?
Unless it is perforated, which it doesn't look to be.

Last edited by igor0190; 2010-03-18 at 01:15 PM.
Old 2010-03-18, 11:29 AM
Regular User

Does not look like the the pipe is perforated to me (click on the picture to make it bigger you can see) Perforated pipe should always have a "sock" on it to stop dirt and sediment from entering into and blocking the pipe ( I have installed lots of this and removed lots that was blocked due to not being "socked") so yes if the one pointing up is higher than where ever it picks up from it will cause standing water at the other end. As for the rest of the questions I can't say or guess I only know about the pipe as I use it in landscapes.
Old 2010-03-18, 01:19 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilkie View Post
Does not look like the the pipe is perforated to me (click on the picture to make it bigger you can see) Perforated pipe should always have a "sock" on it to stop dirt and sediment from entering into and blocking the pipe ( I have installed lots of this and removed lots that was blocked due to not being "socked") so yes if the one pointing up is higher than where ever it picks up from it will cause standing water at the other end. As for the rest of the questions I can't say or guess I only know about the pipe as I use it in landscapes.
So should I just cut the tubing shorter?

Anyone know about the gravel and carboard around the outside of the hole? What is the purpose? I'm assuming the cardboard was just used as a barrier for when they poured the concrete and can be removed now?

As for the gravel... maybe it is just used to fill the space between the plastic pit and the hole that was dug for it?

Can I remove the cardboard and some of the gravel?
Old 2010-03-18, 01:41 PM
Regular User

I can't see a problem with cutting the pipe but I also can't say 100% that it's ok to cut it. I don't know why it was left like that either for a reason or was just sloppy work.
Can't say why the sono tube would be there as I they do make proper plastic inserts for this but may not be required by code to use them???
as for the the gravel whats under it? dirt or cement? if cement I can only thing of 2 reason for it to be there either sloppy and didn't clean up or to use as filter to catch sediment to avoid it getting into the pump, there could be another reason?? if dirt under it well I have no idea why it would be done that way.
I am a landscaper so I can give you any qualified answers only a guess based on my experience personally and what i said above related to the pipe.
Old 2010-03-18, 07:23 PM
Administrator

Hrm...

It's a sump pump pit.

You can see a submerged pump at the bottom. As the water in the pit rises, it will trigger the float switch on the pump and the pump will pump it out of the house.

How does the water rise?

Water from around the foundation and under the floor slab will slowly drain into the pit.

Your basement floor is a 4" thick concrete pad. Under that is gravel. Under that is dirt/mud/clay/whatever was there originally. The gravel will allow the water to move about under the concrete pad with the idea that it will drain into the pit and be carried away.

The drainage pipes you see are most likely from other areas around the foundation. As long as they end up in there then the extra length on them and if they point up/down isn't really going to make a difference.

If it's really a concern, put it on a Tarion form and send it off for your builder to address.
For Your Home - For Your Condo - For Your Office

http://www.phand.ca/