Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2012-07-20, 02:24 PM

Default Is it necessary to get the Sewers Backup Insurance option?

Our new home is closing end of August, and we are shopping for Home Insurance. We've talk to a few insurance companies, and are wondering if it is necessary to get the Sewers Backup Insurance option.

This option is quite expensive (IMO), as it will add another $10/month for the Home Insurance.

Any thoughts??

Last edited by Nickel520; 2012-07-20 at 03:54 PM.
Old 2012-07-20, 03:35 PM
Regular User

Our cost per month happened to be about $7 w/ belair Direct and the cost of a cleanup if it actually happened was obviously more, but more importantly we wouldn't have to clean up s&!% so it was a no-brainer.

But the odds it'll happen are fairly low so if you want to save a few $$$, I'd bank on it not happening and don't worry about it. God help you if it does though..
Old 2012-07-20, 03:46 PM
Regular User

does your new home have a backwater valve on the sewage pipe?
Old 2012-07-20, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by good2know View Post
does your new home have a backwater valve on the sewage pipe?
I have no idea, where can I find this information?
the new home is in Findlay Creek, a semi-detached.
Old 2012-07-20, 10:05 PM
Regular User

Home Depot sells these basement drain plugs but I forget how much. Basically, it's a one way plug. Water can go down through the openings but if water rises in your basement drain, the half ball gets pushed up, by the rising water, essentially plugging the device and prevents water from coming up. Never had to test it but the street did flood on my first year here due to alll the builder debris clogging up the sewers.

Moved In: April 10th 2010
Old 2012-07-20, 11:46 PM
Regular User

We upgraded with the builder and got a backup sewer installed. It better works if we ever need to use it.

In light of the recent earthquakes and the fact that Ottawa is near a fault line we signed up for earthquake insurance.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa...niversary.html

--------------------------------------------
http://www.youtube.com/funrabbits

http://sunburstmirror.blogspot.com

Pictures from Model Homes:
http://www.buildinghomes.ca/communit...ead.php?t=6930

CBC Marketplace show on Spray Foam
http://www.cbc.ca/news/spray-foam-in...able-1.2224287
Old 2012-07-21, 09:03 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickel520 View Post
I have no idea, where can I find this information?
the new home is in Findlay Creek, a semi-detached.
it should be on the spec sheet and/or the sales office could find out

they have installed them for years on the storm drain but I have read somewhere its a building code change to do both (that needs to be verified)

if true, there is also the 'when does it take effect' question

keep in mind that a sewage flood is a $20,000 to unlimited fix depending on what is in the basement
Old 2012-07-21, 11:13 AM
Regular User

In Ottawa and for new homes, for homes with building permits issued after January 1st, 2012, a backwater valve is required for both the sanitary and storm drainage system connection to public sewers. I'm seeing sanitary connection backwater valves on a regular basis in my current 30-Day warranty inspections.

Be aware that having a backwater valve is not a guarantee that there cannot be a backflow of either storm or sanitary waste water. I frequently find cases where the storm backwater valves do not have the screw-down lid fully screwed down. I have also seen cases where the backwater valves have been installed backwards, or have had a missing flapper valve.

Where you have a sanitary backwater valve, be aware that the manufacturer's recommend an annual maintenance requirement: unscrew the lid, examine the flapper valve for proper operation, and lubricate the flapper hinge [usually with petroleum jelly]. Be aware that sanitary backwater valves can sometimes get stuck in an open position either by error in installation or objects caught in the valve body [some things go down the toilets that shouldn't be flushed].

For Nickel520 and those now having homes built, its not a bad idea to have the builder's rep discuss the connections with you during your PDI.

As for insurance, risks can always be minimized but not necessarily eliminated. For new homes in new subdivisions, there is no history for flooding risks, so no assumptions can be made. Backflows are rare events but are costly when encountered. The same applies for earthquakes. I am cautious by nature, so if asked whether obtaining the insurance is advisable, I would lean towards getting coverage particularly if you cna find coverage that is not expensive.

WEB: www.ackerhome.ca
PHONE: 613-447-9660
E-MAIL: phil@ackerhome.ca

Last edited by Inspector Phil Acker; 2012-07-21 at 11:37 AM.
Old 2012-07-27, 11:21 AM

Thank you so much for everyone's useful info and advices.
Sorry for not responding on time, was without internet for almost a week!! terrible!!!

The backwater valve in not written anywhere in the SPEC.
My PDI is scheduled to be in the afternoon of August 15, I will ask the rep about the backwater valve.
Thank you G2K and Phil for the good info and advice.

I am going to look into getting the basement drain plugs, thanks for letting me know about this product BrianT.