Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Durham Region > Durham - General

Durham - General For residents of and soon-to-be residents of Ajax, Oshawa, Pickering, Uxbridge, and Scugog

Old 2013-10-03, 10:12 PM
Regular User

Ya Dora from the sales office told us that we aren't supposed to go on the site but people always do.

We purchased a few upgrades as well... wanted granite but it was far too expensive. lol We got the upgraded cabinets and hardware, fireplace, oak stairs, larger basement windows, garage and shower door. Also a few tiny things like an extra coach lamp on the other side of the garage.

It would be very easy to spend way too much on upgrades!
Old 2013-10-05, 08:12 AM
Regular User

I agree it's very easy to spend alot on upgrades. i was surprised in the end how much we had spent, as we had cut back on a whole bunch of stuff we originally wanted.

Did you end up taking the appliance package or the air condition. we ended up taking the a/c instead.

Are you making your weekly trip to the site this weekend?
Old 2013-10-05, 08:52 AM
Regular User

Yes, we also passed on a few upgrades that we wanted, and still managed to spend a lot of money.
We took a credit for the appliance package and also for the hardwood floors. I figured we could get a much better quality a/c unit with the $3000 credit. AS for the appliances, I am picky and did not want white ones ha ha ha.
We passed on the hardwood as what was included was the lowest grade they have. I have two young kids and figure we will install the hardwood that we want a few years down the road. My husband works in construction so a lot of stuff he can do himself.
I drove by the site yesterday and looks like they were working on the main road. So now, when you turn into the sales center, you will be turning down the actual road they are building.
Old 2013-10-05, 09:51 AM
Regular User

I didn't know the credit for the a/c was that much. I didn't want the white appliances either.

We have two young kids as well. how old are yours? We were planning on doing the hardwood later on too.
my husband likes to think of himself as a good handyman lol but I know where to find a contractor later on...lot 42 right..
Old 2013-10-05, 12:43 PM
Regular User

That is hilarious! Most men think they are handy, even if it's not quite the case. LOL yes lot 42. My husband is no good with electrical or plumbing, just basic stuff there. He is a drywall finisher by trade, but has definitely picked up other skills by association.

My daughter is 8 and my son is 4 (Grade 3 and JK). They go to St. Elizabeth's on Bowmanville. How about your children?

They gave us $3000 credit for the a/c or appliance package, and we got a $5250 credit for passing on the hardwood in the great room. Having those credits went much farther with the upgrades we choose.
Old 2013-10-05, 07:56 PM
Regular User

I did not think the hardwood in the great room would cost that much. does that mean you have carpet in the great room as well? Did the builders compensate you, the second time they delayed your closing date? We got them give us a discount on the oak stairs. Did you go with the 3 bedroom or the optional 4th bedroom?

Our kids are pretty close in age. My son is 7 and my daughter is almost 3. The only down side in closing the end of march, is that i would have to transfer my son to a new school with 3 months of school left.
Old 2013-10-06, 09:14 AM
Regular User

Sorry my mistake, that 5250 credit was from the hardwood and the granite in the kitchen. But if we stuck with what was given with the purchase, we would have had to upgrade them cause it was not the best quality. We will but our own granite and hardwood eventually and have it installed ourselves. Much cheaper.

The first time they changed our closing, they gave us the garage door access for free. I think they were offering a backsplash, but it was ugly and I didnt want it so they said they would give us the door.

Ya it wouldn't be fun to have to change schools at the end of the year. Is he in public or catholic school? Your daughter is starting JK next year?

How is it for work for you and your husband? Will you guys have to start commuting further? I already work downtown Toronto but am lucky to work at home 50% of the time.
Old 2013-10-06, 11:01 AM
Regular User

Thats good, at least this way you can choose what you actually like for the fraction of the price they were charging. we were going to do hardwood floors in the rooms as well, but we figured the kids are going to end up scratching it up anyways, so we held off on that.

We were never offered anything the first time we were delayed. The second time they asked us if we wanted the backsplash. Since im so picky when it came to the kitchen we passed on it.

My son is in public school. My daughter will just be turning 3 in january, she will be starting jk in the following year.

The company I work for offered me a position to work from home later on, so thank goodness I would not have to commute. My husband works in scarborough, so he will be commuting everyday.
Old 2013-10-06, 01:41 PM
Regular User

You were smart to pass on the backsplash. I took a look at what they were offering and there was no way I would have ever chose that myself. I am also pretty picky with the kitchen lol

Working at home is great. It makes days so much easier with getting the kids up and ready. When I am downtown I am out of the house by 6:05 am. It's not easy for the kids. My husband is driving in and out of Mississauga daily.

The house prices have increased so much since we purchase as well, so good news there. Our model has increased 20K already. I would tell you how much yours has, except they don't have any 40ft lots left to sell so they don't have those prices out right now.
Old 2013-10-06, 04:37 PM
Regular User

The last time i heard our model went up 6k from what we paid then they sold out of them. Last weekend we were told that the 37' lots have increased and are now more than the 40'. I wonder how much more the prices will go up in phase 2.

Do you take the train downtown or drive? I can only imagine how bad the traffic would be driving downtown.