Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Halton Region > Milton

Milton For residents of and soon to be residents of Milton communities. Starlane, Century Grove, Beaverhall, Greenpark, Falconcrest, Tiffany Park Homes, Heathwood Homes, Country Homes, Harkin, North Star and more.

Old 2014-05-07, 10:36 PM

Default Fieldgate Homes - Milton Trails PH3 - Falling Shingles

Hey Guys,

Looking for some advice here. We are in our homes for about three years now our closing date was March 2011.

In our first year review with Fieldgate we noticed some roof shingles missing and reported it to them. They sent the contractors over and it was fixed. During that same year we noticed more falling shingles and again they sent over the contractor. This time around, recognizing there was an issue, we asked that they look over the entire roof. Fieldgate also stated and a lot of new home owners were reporting missing shingles as well.

Now two years later we have shingles blowing off and of course we are out of the warranty period. After speaking with Feildgate they are saying that we had a rough winter and lot of winds and therefore these things can happen but we are out of warranty. However we could call the company that did the work and the info was provided.

We called the company and they stated the same thing - winter and high winds. However they would do a site visit for $250 plus tax and do the necessary repairs.

I think this is very unfair as since ownership this has been an issue plus the company that did the work boasts a 5 to 10 yr warranty on their work based on their web site... however falling shingle are not covered.

Is this something we have to accept considering the history or can we take action to have this covered or corrected under warranty ?
Old 2014-05-10, 11:09 PM
Administrator

Did you get any documentation as to the shingle manufacture?

Roofs are generally warranted for many years providing that they were installed properly in the first place.
For Your Home - For Your Condo - For Your Office

http://www.phand.ca/
Old 2014-10-06, 11:12 AM
Regular User

Oh no!!! Sorry to hear about your troubles. Did you get everything resolved?? I sure hope so! Just wondering if you could share with me how Fieldgate standards are?

Carpet colour
Fire place trim
Cabinet finishes
Knobs
Tile
House comes with granite...how many standards to choose from?

Any photos of standard samples or details would be much appreciated. Just bought and having extreme buyer remorse and sooooo worried about what finishes will look like.
Old 2014-10-28, 01:33 PM

Thanks for the responses. I should have subscribed to the thread.

Greg your right and that being said Fieldgate should have forced the contractor to fix it under the warranty with them.

a&c, I am happy overall with Fieldgate and their quality of workmanship. Honestly form the sales process all the way to Pre-inspection.
Old 2014-11-29, 09:23 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnanton View Post

Is this something we have to accept considering the history or can we take action to have this covered or corrected under warranty ?
For roofs, your Tarion coverage is 2 years and that's only because you are covered for leaks for 2 years.

Tarion rules are what builders follow.

The real problem is the low cost 3 tab shingles that most builders still use. In Milton, Heathwood is the only builder using modern standard heavy laminate architectural shingles.
Old 2014-12-01, 09:12 AM

The real problem is the low cost 3 tab shingles that most builders still use. In Milton, Heathwood is the only builder using modern standard heavy laminate architectural shingles.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Above is exactly the problem. Thank you.

We had the roof checked and shingles replaced. This seems it will be a yearly thing to be honest.
Old 2014-12-03, 11:52 AM
Regular User

We too have had shingles come loose on our roof along with many of my neighbours with the recent wind storm. When inspected on homes next to mine, it turns out these shingles were installed with the min amount of nails/fasteners and the contractors could have done a much better job.

I've already had my roof repaired at my own expense but I have also sent an email to my builder and encourage you to do the same. I know we're out of the warranty period but they need to be aware of the situation and that this looks really bad on them. They should follow up with the contractors that did the install and hold them responsible for the crap job. What they SHOULD do to show that they are good builders that stand by their product, is demand that the same roofers come back and inspect/fix their crappy job that they did in the first place free of charge...I've already received a response from my builder saying they have received alot of calls and will be contacting me to address the situation... not expecting much but who knows.
Old 2014-12-21, 11:49 AM
Regular User

^^^ From my experience, when it comes to roofs, Fieldgate, like many builders, needs to be constantly pushed for them to fix issues. On Quinlan Court during a one year warranty inspection a few years ago, I found that one of the bathroom fan roof exhaust vents was missing. The roofer simply shingled over the hole for the vent. ( yes this happens ) Obviously this can lead to serious problems. IMO, the home owners were not pushy enough ( not that they should need to be ) because after nearly a year it was still not fixed. I took it upon myself to contact Fieldgate asking why they would ignore such an issue and they got angry at me when I suggested that I should pass on this information to others. Frankly, I don't care about their petty hissy fit because a few days later the vent was installed.