Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Halton Region > Burlington

Burlington For residents of and soon to be residents of Burlington. Alton Village. Sundial, Fernbrook, Mattamy, Emery, Tribute, Valery, Legend Creek, Branthaven, Monarch, Thornwood

Old 2015-11-08, 07:58 PM
Regular User

Default Attic insulation

Our house in Alton Village seems not having enough blown insulation in the attic, we went up and for the most part we can see the ceiling joists!

House was built by Fernbrook Homes, not sure if anyone can recommend any companies so we can get more insulation before it gets too cold.

Thanks
Old 2015-11-09, 08:49 AM
Regular User

What age is the house
What model do you have

In my case - Stonecastle B that was finished end 2011:
We found that the front rooms were all very cold, especially the upstairs ones.
We called Customer Service and asked for a referral for a company that could top up the insulation.
Fernbrook kindly sent someone to come and check the insulation levels and then had it topped up - free of charge - by the folks they normally use.
I was told that when they normally put the insulation in, the upper bay windows would not have been insulated yet, causing wind to blow into the attic at that point and moving the insulation back toward the middle of the attic.
Adding more and blowing it in when everything is sealed properly helps.

I still find the house very cold in the winter though. We have the 2 x 6 wall construction and therefore a thicker layer of insulation, but I never find the home warm when it's cold outside...unless I put the heat up to 23 degrees or over...

Irene
Old 2015-11-13, 09:56 PM
Regular User

Thanks for your information, we have Stonehill Elev C. House was built in 2007 first phase.

I was never up in the attic so I never knew until recently, front bedroom is always hotter than the rest of the house in summer, in particular the front is west facing with huge windows. I hope better attic insulation would improve and the same bedroom is above the garage.

In winter, I'd say it's cooler but not by much, I do like cooler temperature personally so I may not have noticed it as much as the heat in the summer.
Old 2015-11-21, 08:54 AM
Regular User

I used to do the insulation but got out... Give Yvon insulation a shout and get the propink, it does not settle over time... Yvon are the main supplier but also do the blow in
Old 2015-12-16, 09:29 PM
Regular User

Shorting new homes on attic insulation is an ongoing and chronic scam. Very few builders check attics and even if they did they do not have proper rulers and flashlights to check. Usually builders just pop their head up into the hatch and go - "Yuup, that looks good". As a result, many so called Energy Star rated homes and NOT truly energy star rated.

During pre-purchase inspections of newer resale homes with insulation shortages sellers often pay through the nose in the form of a discount on the home.