Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2007-06-29, 05:08 PM
Regular User

Default Price to upgrade cabinets

Anyone know a guesstimate on upgrading cabinets from one dot to the next for Minto?

This site is a great tool of information!

Thank you!
Old 2007-06-29, 09:50 PM
Regular User

I can't say for Minto but Richcraft who also uses Potvin Construction for its cabinets charge around $1,000 for upgraded cabinets

Upgraded hardware is another $200 - $400 depending on the type of knobs

Upgraded countertop starts at about $200, more for granite
Old 2007-06-30, 11:38 AM
Regular User

Hi Kimmy,
Are you referring to countertops or cabinets?

Countertops upgrade cost for each level depends on if you are upgrade the kitchen or the bathroom(s). As well it can depend on the countertop length because for each model home they have a different set of upgrading costs for these items. For me one level up for the kitchen was $148.40 (from yellow to blue) but if I went to from yellow to green it was $296.80. The bathrooms were something like $50 per level.

Cabinets can really be costly depending on what you want done? For us we looked at extending the cabinets to the ceiling and it was something like $900. We also looked at having the end of the cabinet to be angled to have a larger cabinet and it was about $600.

Hope this helps.
Old 2007-06-30, 01:10 PM
Regular User

Thank you for your prompt replies and helpful information.

We are looking into possibly upgrading our kitchen cabinets (not countertops as once established we'd like to put in granite).

Does the cost of upgrade vary per kitchen plan? We are building a Riverbend, and have opted to upgrade lot's of pantry cabinetry at the framing stage.
We forgot to ask the designer the cost to upgrade (possibly) to another dot level.
We don't see him again until Mid-August at which time the descision will have to be made.

Thank you again!
Old 2007-07-01, 01:04 PM
Regular User

I'm sure the pricing varies by model. We're building a Piccadilly which 12'x20' kichen. We were quoted approx $1400 to upgrade to the green level - the red level was slightly less. I was really quite pleased with both the standard (blue) selection and the price to upgrade.

What customization are you going with - that's what we're trying to figure out now. Mind sharing your pricing? How much was the pantry? I'm currently having a pantry/chef desk priced.
Old 2007-07-01, 02:45 PM
Regular User

I don't mind sharing at all...

In the Riverbend model,
we are putting pantry on the entire wall surrounding the fridge. So basically, if you look at the floor plan, we are moving the fridge to the center of the wall and surrounding it with pantry cabinetry. The price has not been finalized yet...but we are looking at about $1500 guesstimate by our designer. So that's pretty good for alot of pantry.

We have also increased the island and removed the peninsula so that was $320. Moreover we changed the corner sink to a regular sink by changing the cabinet which was $ 500.

We currently live in a Douglas model (which is the old Riverbend). So we knew exactly what worked in the house and what changes we wanted to make.

Our designer confirmed to us, that most complaints about the Douglas/Riverbend is indeed the sink.

Hope this helps...
We were quite pleased with the level blue dot as well. But after going to the Potvin site, we are more confused than ever with choice selection and don't know what on the site in blue dot ect...so we are just budgeting in case our must have cabinet is an upgrade!!!
Thank you!!!
Old 2007-07-01, 02:51 PM
Regular User

I forgot to mention...
from the Potvin site, do you happen to know which collection are what level?
I'm guessing that the traditional doors are blue dot.

Thank you!
Old 2007-07-01, 05:56 PM
Regular User

Thanks Kimmy. I haven't been able to find the Potvin site - can you post the url?
Old 2007-07-01, 06:00 PM
Regular User

Here you go...
http://www.potvinconst.com/kitchenan...henAndTrim.swf

Happy Browsing!
Old 2007-07-01, 06:55 PM
Regular User

Ok Kimmy - you're officially feeding my obsession here....

Its a little weird but here's what I can piece together: The classic collection is yellow dot. The traditional collection is blue dot but only the shaker style - the others would be either red or green. The ones I like are from the classic plus collection and they are green level... Which ones are you looking at?