Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > General > Home Owner Tips, Upgrades and Maintenance

Home Owner Tips, Upgrades and Maintenance General information on what to do with your new home. Garden, yard, driveway, basement finishing, and everything in between.

Old 2007-03-05, 10:35 PM
Regular User

Default hardwood after closing

Is it possible to get hardwood stairs done after closing?

thanks,
Old 2007-03-06, 02:13 AM
Regular User

no, unless you're willing to spend a ridiculous amount of $.
Old 2007-03-07, 12:17 AM
Regular User

Yes, you can get hardwood stairs after you move in.

Did you get an upgrade price from your builder on how much it would be to put it in now during construction? If the amount sounds high, you can call a few hardwood flooring companies to find out how much they would charge.

Either way you go, its going to be expensive compared to doing a room in hardwood. How expensive dependents on how complicated your stairs are. For example, do you have any pie shape steps in your stairs, or is it just a landing (or maybe no landing at all, straight steps all the way up).

Joseph
Old 2007-03-07, 11:21 AM
Regular User

Our stairs are L-shaped with a landing in the middle.

Getting hardwood from the builder would cost us between 6500-7000 dollars. This includes the runner on the stairs.

My husband insists on getting hardwood stairs, but I would like to save this money right now and do this at some point in the future. I'm less worried about the cost but really just want to know whether it is at all possible. All the research I've done tells me that it is but my husband insists its not

thanks very much,
Old 2007-03-07, 11:26 AM
Regular User

Mallicks,
Here's some ammo for you:
- Why put hardwood stairs if it's to cover them up with a runner?
- hardwood stairs are noisy (kids?)
- We could use part of the 7,000$ to buy a big screen tv
- It might not match the main floor hardwood

(As you can see, I did not go for the hardwood stairs)
Old 2007-03-07, 12:02 PM
Regular User

Are you guys talking about a solid OAK staircase rather than plywood steps and risers covered with carpet? The term hardwood stairs sounds confusing..like you want to lay hardwood on the stairs and I'm sure thats not what you're doing..I hope.

Here's my thoughts,
-Get it done by the builder.
-if you wait....you'll never do it.
-it will be a huge job afterwards and a messy one.

The stairs can be stained to match the hardwood later btw. The staircase is not installed with stain on it.

Last edited by Mark & Lynda; 2007-03-07 at 12:04 PM.
Old 2007-03-07, 03:49 PM
Regular User

I have hardwood stairs that were done after I moved in (resale, not a new home). I got it done while I was getting hardwood into other rooms.

I have little kids and it is not noisy - even if it was carpet on the stairs, the kids make more noise talking while walking up/down the stairs, than the noise of walking on hardwood.

Again, it can be done after the fact. It probably will cost you the same or less than what the builder is charging you. You won't be covered under the new homes Tarion if you get it done after the fact (for me, that would not be an issue).

What they do is measure each step. Then they create the hardwood steps for your stairs. Its sanded and stained at the shop (or they can do it in your home if you do not mind the extra mess). They install it, touch it up and voila you are done

If its important to you and your DH, I suggest you talk to a place that installs hardwood stairs. They can fill you in on all the details. Give you an estimate (nothing too accurate, because until your home is built, they can't do exact measurements)

Joseph
Old 2007-03-07, 05:04 PM
Regular User

Is the original poster asking about hardwood on stairs after the fact or are they asking about changing the staircase to an oak staircase?

I have never heard of adding strip flooring to a staircase...maybe I've been under a rock?? This would change the height of the risers, not to mention affecting the height of the last step butting up against the nosing.
Old 2007-03-07, 06:38 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark & Lynda View Post
Is the original poster asking about hardwood on stairs after the fact or are they asking about changing the staircase to an oak staircase?
I was actually inquiring about installing hardwood on stairs. I did'nt think it was possible to change the entire staircase.

If I got hardwood stairs, I definitely would want runner on stairs but like mart242 said, why do hardwood if its gonna be covered with a runner. My husband loves hardwood and if I can convince him that he can get the 'look of hardwood' at a later date, maybe he will not insist so much on getting it right now and I can use the $ somewhere else

thanks everyone!
Old 2007-03-07, 07:44 PM
Regular User

Wow. I never knew they could do this. Looks like a lot of work.

http://www.hardwoodinstaller.com/har...-measuring.htm

I think your builders quote was to install a solid oak staircase rather than re-facing a plywood stair.

Some people like the runner. I personally think its nicer without. Also a breeze to clean. Vacuum and wipe down the spindles, rail and steps with warm water.