Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2014-10-05, 07:06 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sestafanos View Post
Went with the Borden from the same builder. Really love the 12' ceiling in the Kenson but my family tend to be more traditional in that we like separated formal rooms, so the same airiness of the Kenson resides here but the formal aspects look more like the Winfield model!

We are going with design elements similar to the Kenson definitely - that openness and modernity! We're almost done. I signed off on kitchens about 2 weeks ago now and still waiting on price upgrades on several things before making final decisions. They are an excellent quality build from what we've seen so far and so I'm hoping it all does continue as well as this has been so far. I can't wait!
Congratulations on getting the Borden model, it does seem like a good choice for keeping the open feel while also having formal rooms. I think it will have a better feel than the Winfield. The build quality did seem pretty good in the models and I am hoping that they are going to take extra care with these first batch of houses...word of mouth is invaluable when trying to make a name for yourself. We have finished making all of our selections now which I'm quite happy to be done with

My next battle will be to de-clutter my townhome a bit, do some painting and minor repairs, etc. Also have to figure out when the best time is to list my home, I was thinking start of March but not really sure for an August close.

Watching how quickly the neighborhood is coming together is really quite amazing now that both HN Homes and Urbandale are going full throttle.
Old 2014-10-24, 09:32 PM
Regular User

Hi

We just bought the Kenson and are very excited! Would love to hear about others post-purchase experience. Structural, design centre etc.
Old 2014-10-24, 11:06 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomesweethomeX3 View Post
Hi

We just bought the Kenson and are very excited! Would love to hear about others post-purchase experience. Structural, design centre etc.
Congrats! Lots of Kensons coming up I see!

You'll have a structural meeting with the site co-ordinator who will give you an intro package including contact details of the other reps from some of the separate companies they're using: Kitchens/cabinetry, Interior designer, Concept and Marble/Stone company along with a checklist and various plans of standard kitchen, bath and laundry vanity layouts.

You will contact these people to meet them to get these selections done - I know we had to go twice with most of them, and you will get your upgrade pricing (if applicable) through the site co-ordinator directly.

I highly recommend you do see the stone company even though this is not a requirement but they have larger samples and sometimes slabs of the granite you see in the design centre which comes as standard and I have to admit, as a family we have changed directions completely on kitchen design because of this meeting - well worth it.

Have yet to do the concept meeting but if you have specific questions about other elements, feel free to ask.
Old 2014-10-25, 09:29 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sestafanos View Post
Congrats! Lots of Kensons coming up I see!

You'll have a structural meeting with the site co-ordinator who will give you an intro package including contact details of the other reps from some of the separate companies they're using: Kitchens/cabinetry, Interior designer, Concept and Marble/Stone company along with a checklist and various plans of standard kitchen, bath and laundry vanity layouts.

You will contact these people to meet them to get these selections done - I know we had to go twice with most of them, and you will get your upgrade pricing (if applicable) through the site co-ordinator directly.

I highly recommend you do see the stone company even though this is not a requirement but they have larger samples and sometimes slabs of the granite you see in the design centre which comes as standard and I have to admit, as a family we have changed directions completely on kitchen design because of this meeting - well worth it.

Have yet to do the concept meeting but if you have specific questions about other elements, feel free to ask.
Thanks sestafanos, that's really helpful!

We are doing our exterior selection this weekend so it's fun to start the process. Did you meet with the interior designer before the kitchen and marble/stone appointments to help put your overall design together first? What is the concept appointment? This is our third new build so some of these things aren't completely new to us but each builder seems to do things a bit differently. I'm happy to hear that we can contact the marble/stone company directly to see larger samples! I'm sure what never changes in this process will be the challenge of narrowing down the options and trying to envision the end state!

Have a great weekend.
Old 2014-10-25, 01:15 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Thanks sestafanos, that's really helpful!

We are doing our exterior selection this weekend so it's fun to start the process. Did you meet with the interior designer before the kitchen and marble/stone appointments to help put your overall design together first? What is the concept appointment? This is our third new build so some of these things aren't completely new to us but each builder seems to do things a bit differently. I'm happy to hear that we can contact the marble/stone company directly to see larger samples! I'm sure what never changes in this process will be the challenge of narrowing down the options and trying to envision the end state!

Have a great weekend.
In our case we did meet the interior designer first but we did change some things with the kitchen work. We changed the layout of the kitchen after a bit of a discussion with the designer then made our final decision with kitchens.

We met the stone people after our designer warned us that the granite selection we wanted initially was often too busy. And he was right. We completely changed our mind the moment we saw it. You can always review your granite slab of course.

Concept is planning things like alarm systems, sound systems, network wiring etc...

The designer will help you narrow down your options - of wwhich there is a huge selection and of course it is dizzying. He's very useful!

Enjoy your weekend too.
Old 2014-10-25, 02:45 PM
Regular User

We looked around their models - really liked them and the 60' lots are awesome for Kanata. Has anyone managed to have walls moved or plans adjusted?

Old 2014-10-25, 03:14 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by London2Ottawa View Post
We looked around their models - really liked them and the 60' lots are awesome for Kanata. Has anyone managed to have walls moved or plans adjusted?
Depending on the severity of adjustments, yes we have had walls moved, a window moved, and been able to add an extra door. They are flexible. Lot 43 is worth it but a huge upgrade. It's a 15000 sq ft lot.
Old 2014-10-25, 05:59 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Hi

Congratulations on the purchase, we purchased a Kenson as well and have mostly finished with all of our choices. We didn't do much in the way of structural changes, we were pretty happy with the layout at it is. If you are planning on any structural changes I'd love to hear what you had in mind, even though it's too late for us

The order we did our meetings was: Initial meeting with home coordinator where the process is explained, 1st meeting with designer, 1st meeting with kitchen, meeting with concept, 2nd meeting with designer, 2nd meeting with kitchen. In between we went to the Euro Tile showroom to get flooring ideas. Meeting with the designer first helps considerably so you can figure out what sort of colors you want and make sure they work well together before going to see the kitchen designer.

For Concept, as someone else mentioned, they can help you with things like speaker wire runs, locations of phone/ethernet/cable outlets, audio/video distribution systems etc. For the Kenson model in particular, there is no good place to put a digital cable box or satellite receiver or any other equipment, so you will probably want Concept to run some conduit from the fireplace to another location in the house like somewhere else in the living room or the basement.

The Kenson model is shown with a lot of upgrades, which made it a bit tricky keeping track of what is standard and what is upgraded. I'd recommend spending a little time in their sales center design room and then going through the models to see how the standards look. For example the standard paint colours are actually shown as the base colours in the model homes. There are two standards for the faucets, one installed in the sales center, one in the Aston model, there are two standard baseboard choices, two standard interior door styles, etc.

If you have any questions as you go, free free to ask. It's nice that there are a number of us on here now so there is a better chance of someone having an answer to any questions.
Old 2014-10-25, 10:50 PM
Regular User

We had been looking at homes for awhile and walked into the Kenson and loved it immediately! It was the kind of layout we'd been looking for so we won't be making any structural changes except for maybe the basement. We also love the number of standard features that are generally upgrades with other builders.

It's funny that you mention the tv theymightbehousehippos! On our last visit to the model we were discussing that same issue! Thanks for the heads up

I'm glad you've found the designer helpful sestafanos. The choices can be overwhelming and although we have some ideas in mind, guidance is good!

For kitchen design, there seems be a great selection of standard cabinetry choices. For us it will probably be things like pot drawers etc.
Old 2014-10-25, 11:57 PM
Regular User

Quote:
We had been looking at homes for awhile and walked into the Kenson and loved it immediately! It was the kind of layout we'd been looking for so we won't be making any structural changes except for maybe the basement. We also love the number of standard features that are generally upgrades with other builders.

It's funny that you mention the tv theymightbehousehippos! On our last visit to the model we were discussing that same issue! Thanks for the heads up

I'm glad you've found the designer helpful sestafanos. The choices can be overwhelming and although we have some ideas in mind, guidance is good!

For kitchen design, there seems be a great selection of standard cabinetry choices. For us it will probably be things like pot drawers etc.
We also loved the layout right away and just the general openness of the home. We look at MLS listings and new model homes from builders all the time just out of interest and this was the first time we both loved a home immediately. I remember walking in the front door and having a sight line down to the living room and thinking as i walked further in "please let them not have screwed up the kitchen layout...yes!"

For the TV we ran a conduit down from the fireplace straight into the basement and a conduit on one side of the living room down into the basement. In this way we can run whatever wires we want, but since the equipment will be on one side of the living room and the TV in front of us, we will need an IR transmitter and/or maybe a new Harmony remote so we can just aim at the TV instead of trying to point sideways at the equipment.

In the kitchen, we liked what they had done with the island with the two sets of pots and pans drawers so we added those in, put in a pull out spice rack and added some glass cabinet doors.

I concur with sestafanos that the designer was very helpful. I personally thought the hardest part was picking out all the tiles for floors/backsplash/shower. If you know what kind of look you are going for or have pictures of things you like, it should go pretty well. I think we made all of our choices on our first meeting (maybe this is unusual?) except for the tiles which we revisited on our second meeting along with a few other things we had thought of.